Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Herbalism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:21 am
AngryRobotsInc.
That way you know exactly what went into them, in the growing process.
You can also find out what goes into some herbs by contacting an organic grower.

To say nothing of the fact that some soil mixes available to the public only disclose additives upon you writing them.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:59 am
TeaDidikai
AngryRobotsInc.
That way you know exactly what went into them, in the growing process.
You can also find out what goes into some herbs by contacting an organic grower.

To say nothing of the fact that some soil mixes available to the public only disclose additives upon you writing them.

Indeed. Organic growers can be a great source. Though, sometimes, they aren't available for an affordable price in some areas.  

IH_Zero

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 pm
Or you could grow them yourself? Basics are usually pretty easy to keep in a pot on the windowsill, and that way you can prep them for your purposes while they're still growing, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you live in nearby any sort of wild area, grab an herbal identification handbook from your local library and take a hike. You can find all sorts of things in your neighborhood, and I prefer using local materials to imported ones.

Essential oils can be used in place of the fresh herb for some purposes, but not all. Do your research.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:05 pm
Well I love the smell of fresh cut mint...and I think it's funny you all went on a huge tangent without me...And I use it when I meditate and well anytime I need to relax.  

Lestat_616

Friendly Lunatic

6,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:51 pm
AngryRobotsInc.

Indeed. Organic growers can be a great source. Though, sometimes, they aren't available for an affordable price in some areas.
Depending on who you order from, there is no minimum, and for something like mint, which grows quickly and easily, the cost difference usually isn't that much.

Not only that- but many growers do grow organically, but they have no desire to pay the huge fees associated with being certified.

demisara
Or you could grow them yourself?
You mean... like Cu and I said?
Quote:

If you live in nearby any sort of wild area, grab an herbal identification handbook from your local library and take a hike. You can find all sorts of things in your neighborhood, and I prefer using local materials to imported ones.

The flip side of this coin is that unless you have a dichotomous key and a microscope, the quality of an identification book may be limited. Further, you don't always know what forms of mass-spray are in effect for a given "wild" area.

Lestat_616
Well I love the smell of fresh cut mint..
What does this have to do with herbalism?
Quote:

and I think it's funny you all went on a huge tangent without me...
What tangent? We're talking about herbalism and it's applications.

Quote:
And I use it when I meditate and well anytime I need to relax.
How odd, considering most common forms contain a stimulant.

Also, what kind of mint are you talking about?

I mean, I know of several species, some of which are highly poisonous.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:32 pm
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan

It's chemical properties are different?
That would rely on the chemistry being an important position within the school of herbalism the OP is addressing. wink

Absolutely, I was not answering for them, merely attempting to offer forth a valid answer to a question tht was asked openly.
Not all herbalism requires understanding of the alchemy of it, much like not all baking requires the alchemical understanding of the interactions between ingredients.
However, if you wanna make a soufflĂ©, understanding the chemistry is advisable.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:34 pm
CuAnnan

Absolutely, I was not answering for them, merely attempting to offer forth a valid answer to a question tht was asked openly.
Ah. I was asking the OP directly, more to get an understanding of where they are coming from than anything else.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:36 pm
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan

Ah. I was asking the OP directly, more to get an understanding of where they are coming from than anything else.

Ayeup.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 pm
TeaDidikai
demisara
Or you could grow them yourself?
You mean... like Cu and I said?

Yep...I guess I missed that part. My brain skipped from buying dried to pointing out the difference between dried and fresh.

Quote:
Quote:

The flip side of this coin is that unless you have a dichotomous key and a microscope, the quality of an identification book may be limited.

Limited, of course, but IMO still invaluable to an amateur herbalist.

Quote:
Further, you don't always know what forms of mass-spray are in effect for a given "wild" area.

Quite true, I'm not used to the pesticidal tendencies of more populated areas. I'm not suggesting eating blackberries out of vacant lots, but just the act of wandering around and attaching names to plants is a good exercise.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:43 pm
demisara

Limited, of course, but IMO still invaluable to an amateur herbalist.
The term amateur and herbalist always strikes me as a dangerous combination.

But then, I have standards when it comes to people practicing healing arts. Standards designed to keep people from getting killed.

Quote:

Quite true, I'm not used to the pesticidal tendencies of more populated areas. I'm not suggesting eating blackberries out of vacant lots, but just the act of wandering around and attaching names to plants is a good exercise.
Yeah... problem is that there are source materials out there that say things like Elderberries raw are healthy, Fox glove makes a good tsaine... oh, and yeah, that stewing rhubarb leaves turns them into something like cooked spinach and should be served with butter.

If you're not a professional, and you are relying on generic book from library without any understanding as if it's a quality source or not- you could be making a huge mistake.

It's better to give precise information when issuing advice that could get someone ******** killed.  

TeaDidikai

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 pm
TeaDidikai
The term amateur and herbalist always strikes me as a dangerous combination.

But then, I have standards when it comes to people practicing healing arts. Standards designed to keep people from getting killed.

Well everyone has to start somewhere. The key, I think, is just knowing when you're not qualified to help someone. Too much to ask of most people, I know.

Quote:
Yeah... problem is that there are source materials out there that say things like Elderberries raw are healthy, Fox glove makes a good tsaine... oh, and yeah, that stewing rhubarb leaves turns them into something like cooked spinach and should be served with butter.

If you're not a professional, and you are relying on generic book from library without any understanding as if it's a quality source or not- you could be making a huge mistake.

It's better to give precise information when issuing advice that could get someone ******** killed.

There are as many bad books on pharmaceutical medicine as there are on herbal. The only way to protect yourself from misinformation is diligent research, which is more or less what I was suggesting.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:41 pm
demisara

Well everyone has to start somewhere.
How about with a professional? Or a quality education.

Quote:
There are as many bad books on pharmaceutical medicine as there are on herbal.
Proof for this assertion please?
Quote:

The only way to protect yourself from misinformation is diligent research,
How about not trying to do something that it takes years of professional education and a full examination to understand?

Quote:
which is more or less what I was suggesting.
Problem is, you didn't give enough information to establish what diligent research looks like. "Go to the library" is about as diligent as "The bullet goes out the small end".  

TeaDidikai

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:00 pm
TeaDidikai
demisara

Well everyone has to start somewhere.
How about with a professional? Or a quality education.

I've never even heard of a professional herbalist in my area, much less a source of education. I started out on local lore, and I was lucky to have grandmothers who knew about such things. I don't call myself an herbalist, because I don't feel qualified, but this is knowledge that I want and that I actively pursue. I don't think there's anything wrong with my approach as long as I'm realistic about what I can and cannot do.

Quote:
Quote:
There are as many bad books on pharmaceutical medicine as there are on herbal.
Proof for this assertion please?

I'm packing for a move right now, so I'll retract this rather than find you some examples. Let's try something more obvious. There are as many bad books on witchcraft as there are on herbal medicine, and the only way to protect yourself from misinformation is diligent research. The point is that you should never rely on one source, especially in cases like this.

Quote:
Quote:
The only way to protect yourself from misinformation is diligent research,
How about not trying to do something that it takes years of professional education and a full examination to understand?

How about spending years trying to understand it? I'm not saying wortcunning is easy or fast to come by.

Quote:
Quote:
which is more or less what I was suggesting.
Problem is, you didn't give enough information to establish what diligent research looks like. "Go to the library" is about as diligent as "The bullet goes out the small end".

The OP sounded like a real beginner, and in my experience one of the best places to take one's first steps in pursuit of knowledge is a library. He's not going to check out a field guide and then go start curing people, but knowing the names of local plants is a definite pre-req.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:54 pm
demisara

I've never even heard of a professional herbalist in my area, much less a source of education.
How hard did you look for a professional? And besides- depending on what you're trying to do with the plants, you may well have to travel.

Seriously, if you're going to mess with something that could potentially be deadly, traveling to the nearest big city in order to ensure you have someone who knows what the ******** they are talking about is a small price to pay. Period.

Does that mean that someone might have to save up money, be an adult and able to invest time and energy. Likely that or have the support of their legal guardians. Either way- so what?

Quote:

I don't call myself an herbalist, because I don't feel qualified, but this is knowledge that I want and that I actively pursue. I don't think there's anything wrong with my approach as long as I'm realistic about what I can and cannot do.
When your advice is careless, there is something wrong.

Quote:
I'm packing for a move right now, so I'll retract this rather than find you some examples. Let's try something more obvious. There are as many bad books on witchcraft as there are on herbal medicine, and the only way to protect yourself from misinformation is diligent research. The point is that you should never rely on one source, especially in cases like this.
If some Fluff mistakenly calls herself a High Priestess, she might get her a** handed to her in a debate.

If some Fluff reads an endorsement of "Go to your local library and get yourself a book!" she might well poison herself. Is it likely? Not terribly. Do you want to be responsible for it if she seriously injures herself or others? If the answer is no- then you should take some more time and effort in your response. Instead of making a generic recommendation, give a specific title that you know to be accurate and safe.

Quote:

How about spending years trying to understand it?
This is part of the problem with your approach. You think it's about the plants. You're forgetting the other half of the equation.

Quote:

The OP sounded like a real beginner, and in my experience one of the best places to take one's first steps in pursuit of knowledge is a library.
Which is where you can find the books that have deadly errors. My friend showed me one right off the shelf that said you can eat rhubarb leaves. Do you know what happens when someone eats those? It's a horrible death in some cases. The library is only as good as it's sources are accurate. Libraries do not always screen for accuracy. Patrons do not always report such horrific and dangerous things to their librarians.

The justification for the position, in light of me illustrating how dangerous a generic "Go get a book" can be, is a little frustrating.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:19 am
I've got some books by Tom Brown Jr. which cover edible wild plants.

They don't really go into the whole 'crush this flower for instant relief' sort of thing, I'm afraid, but they're very firm on not eating anything you aren't one-hundred percent triple-damn sure of is the exact same thing as described in the book, and, also, not to eat them unless you're actually in a survival situation.

He's got this whole tracker school, and he practices what he preaches, so I find myself more comfortable using his information than whatever book I run into in the library.

I plan to hop over to America for courses by him, as well. He's got a herbalism course that I'm eyeing, for that matter. But you have to work up to that, so, basic survivalism is where we start. 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff