Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Symbols Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:13 pm
Recursive Paradox

You know, a friend of mine actually suggested at one point to add sex rites into Etherism. I imagine that would make things... complex.
I would figure so. twisted  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:07 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

You know, a friend of mine actually suggested at one point to add sex rites into Etherism. I imagine that would make things... complex.
I would figure so. twisted

I even make religion awkward sexually. blaugh  

Recursive Paradox

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 pm
What is the most common symbol within your tradition?
Probably the cross/Crucifix.
What is the most common symbol for your tradition?
Uh... same?
What is your favorite symbol within your tradition?
I don't know. I should probably research more of them. 3nodding Especially since I like symbols.
What is/are your favorite symbol(s) from other tradition(s)?
Not sure what it's from, but I like the irregular six-pointed star. Well, maybe I like stars in general... The seven pointed star appeals to me because of the number seven, and a (hypothetical?) nineteen-pointed star would have the same appeal, but perhaps less visually so.

Do you have any personally authored symbols?
Yes.
If so, what spiritual relevance do they hold?
It depends on how we define "spiritual". The ones that come to mind most are two that represent my romantic connection. (I guess that might answer the question anyway?)

Do you have a symbol-based method of personalization?
Not that I'm aware of, but clarification of the question would be spiffy.

Do you have a series of symbols that contain specific mysteries that you employ in spiritual practices?
...I'm going to say no.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 am
TeaDidikai
What is the most common symbol within your tradition?

Within Hellenic Polytheism, it's hard to say - probably a twelve pointed star. It's one that I like, personally.

As for my cultural practices, there's the Patriarchal Cross and various other symbols, one that I like is the Kolovrat', kolo meaning wheel and vrat' meaning turn or spin - it's similar to a Sunwheel

Quote:
What is the most common symbol for your tradition?

Neither tradition is particularly well organized. Hellenic Polytheism doesn't agree on authority any more so than the ancient Hellenes did; the symbol they choose to represent themselves with varies with the organization.

Dveviere varies per village and per family. If I had to choose a symbol it would probably be the primary symbol for whatever church they belong to.

Quote:
What is your favorite symbol within your tradition?

Twelve pointed star, Kolovrat'.

Quote:
What is/are your favorite symbol(s) from other tradition(s)?

I like the pentagram; the golden ratio makes it aesthetically pleasing. The crescent moon and star used in Islam (with origins as a symbol of the Ottomans) is particularly beautiful.

Quote:
Do you have any personally authored symbols?
If so, what spiritual relevance do they hold?

Not necessarily. There are symbols that either hold an altered meaning or have been gained some sort of meaning for me though.

Quote:
Do you have a symbol-based method of personalization?

If I'm understanding you, then that is affirmative. There are also cultural idiosyncrasies that are given an "extended" meaning that helps me to remain mindful of them.

Quote:
Do you have a series of symbols that contain specific mysteries that you employ in spiritual practices?

Yes. There are znaky (or znaci). I've only just begun the process of learning them in a deep, critical way, though I've been familiar with the designs for some time. Also, as I mention in my Pathways thread, I also attach meaning to the Hlaholica/Glagolitic alphabet - but I'm in the process of divining the meanings. I'd be happy to expand on the process and reason behind it if it's welcome.  

Collowrath

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 am
I personally like the twelve pointed star with a big spot in the center, for Hestia.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:53 am
maenad nuri
I personally like the twelve pointed star with a big spot in the center, for Hestia.

I like it with the flames in the center for her, myself. smile I thought about having it tattoo'd on my right shoulder blade.  

Collowrath

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:09 pm
TeaDidikai

Kashaku-Tatsu

Ouroborus Pentacle (yes the dragon version lol)
The Ouroborus isn't a dragon. confused

sorry, now i'm confused, i thought the Ouroboros was supposed to represent a serpent or a dragon swallowing its own tail.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:14 pm
whiporwill-o
sorry, now i'm confused, i thought the Ouroboros was supposed to represent a serpent or a dragon swallowing its own tail.

According to the alchemy sources I can find and other sources on Ouroborus his name means "tail devourer" and yes is depicted as either a dragon or snake. I have to find it again, but I had an image of a carving of Ouroborus I found back in college where it was definitely a western style dragon with four legs and wings eating his own tail... Been through three computers since then so it's probably going to take a min to see which backup cd I have it burned to lol  

Kashaku-Tatsu

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:36 pm
Kashaku-Tatsu
whiporwill-o

According to the alchemy sources I can find and other sources on Ouroborus his name means "tail devourer" and yes is depicted as either a dragon or snake. I have to find it again, but I had an image of a carving of Ouroborus I found back in college where it was definitely a western style dragon with four legs and wings eating his own tail... Been through three computers since then so it's probably going to take a min to see which backup cd I have it burned to lol

ok, sorry, i just got confused sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:28 pm
Kashaku-Tatsu

According to the alchemy sources I can find and other sources on Ouroborus his name means "tail devourer" and yes is depicted as either a dragon or snake.
I'll see your "alchemy sources" and raise you the ancient Greek.

οὐροβόρος ὄφις has nothing that means dragon.
Quote:

I have to find it again, but I had an image of a carving of Ouroborus I found back in college where it was definitely a western style dragon with four legs and wings eating his own tail...
And there are depictions of Yeshua as a blond haired blue eyed fair skinned European.

This is of course spiritually accurate artwork. wink  

TeaDidikai

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:53 pm
going along with that line of thought, I'll raise ya the sun cross so conveniently found in christianity but was first used by pagans, so *gasp* christians are bastardizing the use of it and cant use that symbol for their religion xd  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 pm
Kashaku-Tatsu
going along with that line of thought, I'll raise ya the sun cross so conveniently found in christianity but was first used by pagans, so *gasp* christians are bastardizing the use of it and cant use that symbol for their religion xd

Except this is apples to oranges.

The "sun cross" is a symbol that has been absorbed by Christianity and recontextualized. The ouroboros has been absorbed by some sects, but more often than not is simply a symbol that is misunderstood because of faulty terminology.

It's more like taking a "sun cross" and calling it a "moon wheel."  

Collowrath

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:00 pm
btw hun, great job at wiki'ing, maybe ya should read further XD  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:01 pm
Kashaku-Tatsu
Prove that 1) there is a unified "Sun Cross", then prove that it has been adopted from pagan sources into Christendom and that said "sun cross" is synonyms with all forms of cruciforms are synonymous with it, then demonstrate that the Cross of Christendom is not a reference to the imagery alluded to in the Gospels in regards to Yeshua's execution.

I'll wait.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm
Kashaku-Tatsu
btw hun,
Over familiarity is not welcome. Address me in such a way again and I will report you to the guild mods for trolling. You are not welcome to address me as such. Clear?

Quote:
great job at wiki'ing, maybe ya should read further XD
Wiki?

I didn't use Wiki, I used my notes from my college courses on Ancient and Koine Greek, then plugged it into a translator because I don't have a script generator for anything other than Roman type.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff