Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:52 am
ferret658
Boys are just icky in general.
LOL...

I thought they were icky until I gained the age of 16... now at 32, I think they are icky again....

Liking long hair on men, and adhering to the priciples in the Bible are two different things. They are not the same thing, or at least not in my opinion....

I love reading books where the guy has long hair, but long hair on a guy is just freaky... especially if it is longer than mine.... (Curl around your ankles long)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:17 am
...This is very true....  

ferret658

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:21 pm
I obviously like men with long hair -point to sig picture- I've since cut my hair, so his hair is even longer than mine!

But my main question is if it's considered great for a woman to have long hair, what about men? Does it really matter? I just ask because most people think men with long hair is somehow wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:16 pm
freelance lover
I obviously like men with long hair -point to sig picture- I've since cut my hair, so his hair is even longer than mine!

But my main question is if it's considered great for a woman to have long hair, what about men? Does it really matter? I just ask because most people think men with long hair is somehow wrong.
The issue of the hair is more of a natural covering, headship issue. The man is the head of his house before God, and responsible for the spiritual and economical matters of his household.

The woman is seen as under the man, not as a lesser creature, but because she was made from man.

Therefore, a man with long hair is seen as an affront before God, while a woman with a shorn (or cut) hair is seen as the same. Only the Nazarite, who had made an oath before God, had long hair... and that was only for a certain amount of time. After the time of the vow was ended, the Nazarite would cut his hair again. Sampson was a Nazarite, but uncommonly, he was a nazarite from birth to death. His power and strength were not in his hair, he lost his strength when he allowed his hair to be cut because he broke his vow before God (or in his case, his parent's vow).

Men in Jewish culture did not have long hair. Women who cut their hair were either divorced women, or harlots. David's son Absolom was seen as a trouble maker for two reasons, he rebelled against his father, and he did not cut his hair.  

Atreadia Allaani

ferret658

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 pm
Absalom: The Jimmy Dean of the OT? Will he ever cut his hair? Will his father convince a concubine to cut it whilst Absalom slept? Does this epic announcement even matter?
Well....Probably not... rofl mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:13 pm
ferret658
Absalom: The Jimmy Dean of the OT? Will he ever cut his hair? Will his father convince a concubine to cut it whilst Absalom slept? Does this epic announcement even matter?
You do mean James Dean... right?

Any whoooo....

As an interesting piece of blogging crossed my desk, I thought it may add some culture and thought to this conversation...

http://oldlandmark.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/beyond-i-corinthians-11-holiness-hair-and-ancient-history/#comments  

Atreadia Allaani

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:09 am
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover

The issue of the hair is more of a natural covering, headship issue. The man is the head of his house before God, and responsible for the spiritual and economical matters of his household.

The woman is seen as under the man, not as a lesser creature, but because she was made from man.

Therefore, a man with long hair is seen as an affront before God, while a woman with a shorn (or cut) hair is seen as the same. Only the Nazarite, who had made an oath before God, had long hair... and that was only for a certain amount of time. After the time of the vow was ended, the Nazarite would cut his hair again. Sampson was a Nazarite, but uncommonly, he was a nazarite from birth to death. His power and strength were not in his hair, he lost his strength when he allowed his hair to be cut because he broke his vow before God (or in his case, his parent's vow).

Men in Jewish culture did not have long hair. Women who cut their hair were either divorced women, or harlots. David's son Absolom was seen as a trouble maker for two reasons, he rebelled against his father, and he did not cut his hair.

Interesting. Though I would argue most of that isn't necessarily applicable to today since most of that is cultural.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:12 am
Atreadia Allaani
ferret658
You do mean James Dean... right?

Any whoooo....

As an interesting piece of blogging crossed my desk, I thought it may add some culture and thought to this conversation...

http://oldlandmark.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/beyond-i-corinthians-11-holiness-hair-and-ancient-history/#comments

eek redface Yeah...Jimmy Dean is the sausage, isn't it....? hahahah.....oops....  

ferret658

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:14 pm
freelance lover
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover

Interesting. Though I would argue most of that isn't necessarily applicable to today since most of that is cultural.
Understanding culture of the Biblical times, can help one find their center in today's Christianity.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 pm
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover

Understanding culture of the Biblical times, can help one find their center in today's Christianity.

I agree, but today it seems the basis of not liking long hair on men has more contemporary roots. It's sometimes associated with grunge, punk, hippie, etc movements, many of which don't fit in with conservative Christian morals. I think most cases it's the modern connotation rather than the Biblical one.  

freelance lover
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Since we're focusing on this one particular verse, I'm going to move this thread into the Bible discussion subforum; when the OP has replied to this, I'll move the thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:33 pm
freelance lover
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover

I agree, but today it seems the basis of not liking long hair on men has more contemporary roots. It's sometimes associated with grunge, punk, hippie, etc movements, many of which don't fit in with conservative Christian morals. I think most cases it's the modern connotation rather than the Biblical one.
Perhaps, but I cannot say it is a modern theory when there are people in my church who have lived/taught long hair for women and short hair for men for more than 100 years. Now, if it just started coming into light with in the last few decades, then I would grant you the modern theory.

Speaking of hair... have you noticed that beards and mustaches are now in vogue in the church again. 20 years ago that would not have been the case, and in this instance I believe that it is due to modern cultural fads.  

Atreadia Allaani

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Since we're focusing on this one particular verse, I'm going to move this thread into the Bible discussion subforum; when the OP has replied to this, I'll move the thread.

Yeah it does kind of focus on that one verse doesnt it sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am
Haha, no worries. The categorization rules can be a bit confusing sometimes.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 pm
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover
Atreadia Allaani
freelance lover

Perhaps, but I cannot say it is a modern theory when there are people in my church who have lived/taught long hair for women and short hair for men for more than 100 years. Now, if it just started coming into light with in the last few decades, then I would grant you the modern theory.

Speaking of hair... have you noticed that beards and mustaches are now in vogue in the church again. 20 years ago that would not have been the case, and in this instance I believe that it is due to modern cultural fads.

It may vary from church to church. My church back home said nothing one way or the other about what kind of hair men or women should have, but that's just what I've always experienced.

And I haven't noticed the beards and mustaches, but I haven't attended church regularly in about two years and my church back home was very large and diverse...

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff