Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Nines' Path (Okay, go.) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 am
Quick word on Baptism. Regardless of the concept of original sin; it is a ritual based on the pact a parent makes between their child and their religion, to raise that child in the manner befitting the ideals of the religion. In Catholicism it is a 2 fold event, Baptism and confirmation. They are brought into the religion in baptism and confirm that they were raised under those ideal and choose to continue to embrace them during confirmation. Judaism has the Bris and the bar/batmitsfa. Circumcision is just a matter of hygiene FYI.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:28 am
bondage bunnie
Final summation idolatry is openly practiced in both Judaism and Christianity. There are specific places of worship, and symbols, and rituals to those symbols; are there not?

The things you mention are not specifically idolatry. The objects are not worshiped but serve as a focus that God is present. It is true that God exist in everything but we, or at least for me, forget this. The buildings, symbols, and rituals serve not as objects of worship but tools to worship God and to "wake up" the celebrants and participants to the various mysteries of the Church.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:39 am
rmcdra
bondage bunnie
Final summation idolatry is openly practiced in both Judaism and Christianity. There are specific places of worship, and symbols, and rituals to those symbols; are there not?

The things you mention are not specifically idolatry. The objects are not worshiped but serve as a focus that God is present. It is true that God exist in everything but we, or at least for me, forget this. The buildings, symbols, and rituals serve not as objects of worship but tools to worship God and to "wake up" the celebrants and participants to the various mysteries of the Church.

I just want to focus real quick on the "Mysteries of the Church" statement. I have heard this alot, not just from you so don't think I am singling you out. The concepts about God's lessons and commandments leave no room for mystery. God made the universe, you are in it, treat others good and above all remember God made you and everything else so follow the terms of service agreement.

Like it or not idolatry is hugely practiced and completely encouraged; openly and blatantly by those who directly condone it. Try to remember the perspective that a religion is a society based on a theological belief structure and thus as a society must have an economy. Economy is fueled by merchandising and tax exempt status as well as donations, but mostly merchandising, tourism, real estate, big business and holding interests.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:35 am
bondage bunnie
rmcdra
bondage bunnie

I just want to focus real quick on the "Mysteries of the Church" statement. I have heard this alot, not just from you so don't think I am singling you out. The concepts about God's lessons and commandments leave no room for mystery. God made the universe, you are in it, treat others good and above all remember God made you and everything else so follow the terms of service agreement.

The mysteries are the revealed truths of the Church. By participating in the Church rituals one can experience firsthand these revealed truths. Since ritual is experiential in nature, results will greatly vary.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 am
According to Oxford, idolatry is:

1) The worship of idols or images ‘made with hands’; more generally, the paying or offering of divine honours to any created object.

2. Immoderate attachment to or veneration for any person or thing; admiration savouring of adoration.

It's not idolatry until they start worshiping the walls and icons and rituals themselves. As it stands, they don't.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 am
Collowrath
According to Oxford, idolatry is:

1) The worship of idols or images ‘made with hands’; more generally, the paying or offering of divine honours to any created object.

2. Immoderate attachment to or veneration for any person or thing; admiration savouring of adoration.

It's not idolatry until they start worshiping the walls and icons and rituals themselves. As it stands, they don't.
Thank you. OED comes to save the day.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 am
bondage bunnie
Like it or not idolatry is hugely practiced and completely encouraged; openly and blatantly by those who directly condone it. Try to remember the perspective that a religion is a society based on a theological belief structure and thus as a society must have an economy. Economy is fueled by merchandising and tax exempt status as well as donations, but mostly merchandising, tourism, real estate, big business and holding interests.
Okay now how does you claim support that idolatry is practiced and encouraged? If anything this is a straw-man at best. Oh and thanks for editing your post and making it look like I was ignoring part of your remarks.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 pm
Sorry man Catholicism left such a sour taste in my mouth. Christianity is a beautiful thing when people revere the ideas. Don't need a cross to remember to treat others kindly.  

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 am
bondage bunnie
Sorry man Catholicism left such a sour taste in my mouth. Christianity is a beautiful thing when people revere the ideas. Don't need a cross to remember to treat others kindly.

i didn't read the first page so i may have missed something, but it was my understanding that the cross isn't to remind you to be kind to others, but serves as a reminder that the lord's only begotten son died for your sins.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 am
whiporwill-o
bondage bunnie

i didn't read the first page so i may have missed something, but it was my understanding that the cross isn't to remind you to be kind to others, but serves as a reminder that the lord's only begotten son died for your sins.

There's that but there's also multiple meanings of the cross. One being the active and passive forces of God acting within a person and the interconnectivity of that force.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:40 am
bondage bunnie
But we don't worship the symbol, we worship the one it symbolises. The cross is just a cross, in and of itself, a cross does little, but for us, it is a reminder of our saviour.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:41 am
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
bondage bunnie

There's that but there's also multiple meanings of the cross. One being the active and passive forces of God acting within a person and the interconnectivity of that force.
Either way, we're not worshipping it, so Christianity is not "full of idolatry."  

Gho the Girl

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:44 am
Gho the Girl
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
bondage bunnie

Either way, we're not worshipping it, so Christianity is not "full of idolatry."
3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:47 am
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
bondage bunnie

i've never heard that one before, perhaps it is only seen that way by certain sects of christianity?  

whiporwill-o

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:52 am
whiporwill-o
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
bondage bunnie

i've never heard that one before, perhaps it is only seen that way by certain sects of christianity?
It seems to me like a more mystic view of the cross. I see it the crucifix more as a symbol of Jesus, and the burden he carried, but also of my cross, my burden, and my sacrifice as desired by God.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff