Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Gods and Godesses: real entitys or representatives? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:27 am
The REAL easter bunnuh
guardian_rose
The REAL easter bunnuh
Gho the Girl
@Guardian Rose:
You're applying limited concepts to an entity that is potentially limitless, if we are talking about YHVH. Ants do not comprehend the social lives of humans. A mitochondria cannot begin to understand the complexity of quantum physics.

Further, who says anything about running?

@OP: So I think you're asking if deities, should they exist, do they exist independant of creation, or do they exist because of creation?

i.e. is Thor just the God of Thunder? Or does he exist independant of his "sphere of influence"?

I sense some Jungian dilemna here.

GHO I enjoy your response.

im not sure what Jungian is though and so I am off to google!

Jungian refers to Psychoanalyst Carl Jung. Its in reference to the topic and dream interpretation.

oh...all righty then
Jung spoke to more than that though.
He did much work categorizing symbols and archetypes. He found that many societies, religions, etc. had common archetypes and symbols. In polytheistic religions, many have a god of war, a god of the sea, a god of nature, etc. Part of the dilemna created by his work is that the gods became less a group of individuals and more symbolic figures that held certain traits. Loki, for instance, is the fool, has traits of trikery, deception, mayhaps luck.

So what I'm sensing here is that question of, are these gods merely representation of ideas and/or conceptions that exist in nature and the collective unconscious, or are these gods actually real individuals, and if so, how do they relate to the spheres of influence that so many have assigned to them?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:37 am
Gho the Girl
The REAL easter bunnuh
guardian_rose
The REAL easter bunnuh
Gho the Girl
@Guardian Rose:
You're applying limited concepts to an entity that is potentially limitless, if we are talking about YHVH. Ants do not comprehend the social lives of humans. A mitochondria cannot begin to understand the complexity of quantum physics.

Further, who says anything about running?

@OP: So I think you're asking if deities, should they exist, do they exist independant of creation, or do they exist because of creation?

i.e. is Thor just the God of Thunder? Or does he exist independant of his "sphere of influence"?

I sense some Jungian dilemna here.

GHO I enjoy your response.

im not sure what Jungian is though and so I am off to google!

Jungian refers to Psychoanalyst Carl Jung. Its in reference to the topic and dream interpretation.

oh...all righty then
He did much work categorizing symbols and archetypes. He found that many societies, religions, etc. had common archetypes and symbols. In polytheistic religions, many have a god of war, a god of the sea, a god of nature, etc. Part of the dilemna created by his work is that the gods became less a group of individuals and more symbolic figures that held certain traits. Loki, for instance, is the fool, has traits of trikery, deception, mayhaps luck.

So what I'm sensing here is that question of, are these gods merely representation of ideas and/or conceptions that exist in nature and the collective unconscious, or are these gods actually real individuals, and if so, how do they relate to the spheres of influence that so many have assigned to them?

yes! THAT! thats exactly what im asking biggrin  

The REAL easter bunnuh

6,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:05 pm
I am a person, a discrete being, yet I am also a part of my community, my circle of friends, my nation, my political affiliation, the greater organic processes of my planet, and numerous other greater wholes.

That is the crux of the matter to me, can anything be completely it's own entity without also being part of something else?

For my part, until asked to offer address in a different form, I always prefer to er on the side of assuming individuality rather than aspectdom. I've found it causes rarer offense. It is a courtesy I would prefer, and thus, attempt to render.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:05 pm
The REAL easter bunnuh

like how there is gods of nature.
Part of the fundamental problem is that you're suggesting that there is anything amongst the description in the sources for paganism that suggests that a deity is their patronage.  

TeaDidikai

guardian_rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:52 pm
Reminds me of an old adage. "No matter how big and bad you think you are, there is always someone bigger."  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 am
Fiddlers Green
That is the crux of the matter to me, can anything be completely it's own entity without also being part of something else?

That is a good point to ponder.... (pov of one who is at work and half out of it) As humans we are a part of the universe, thusly having a part to play in the workings of the universe for cosmic and/or chaos; no matter how infinitesimal or immense of a role, whether it is apparent or not.

As to the question at hand... I have always had a poly view on deities, beings, etc. I don't see any of the divine spirits as representations of anything other then themselves. Individuals with their own interests (usually what they are known to protect/oversea/deal with) and temperaments (yes I feel deities can have their cranky days).

One of my peeves is when people call all goddesses the same goddess under different names (yes I've heard that come out of the mouth of a wiccan priest acquaintance of mine, he actually told his student that Lilith, Hekate, Brighid and Damnu were all the goddess so didn't matter the name the person called her o_O).  

Kashaku-Tatsu

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:08 am
Kashaku-Tatsu

One of my peeves is when people call all goddesses the same goddess under different names (yes I've heard that come out of the mouth of a wiccan priest acquaintance of mine, he actually told his student that Lilith, Hekate, Brighid and Damnu were all the goddess so didn't matter the name the person called her o_O).
This is called Soft Polytheism.

I'm curious as to what lineage this Priest held, since this isn't a doctrine of The Wica.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:01 pm
TeaDidikai
Kashaku-Tatsu

I'm curious as to what lineage this Priest held, since this isn't a doctrine of The Wica.
I'm hethenotheist. Am I soft polytheist?  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:34 pm
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Kashaku-Tatsu

Debatable.
It'll help if you answer this question for me:
Is YHVH the Lord of the Isles?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:55 am
Gho the Girl

He actually found that the Western (largely Roman influenced) representation of different societies, religions, etc... had common archetypes and symbols. According to one of my professors, who WILL give up the references once I have the time and energy to pin him down and shake them out of him, Jung actually took the shocking step of GOING TO OTHER CoUNTRIES and discovered that maybe the reports he got on all those gods & stuff were a tad bit misrepresented due to projection (yay shadow!).

Unfortunately, it's his later works, and a lot of them aren't translated. Grrrr. But I wants them, my precious. I wants to squeeze everything useful out of his dead brains and then make the world anew!  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 am
Deoridhe
Gho the Girl

He actually found that the Western (largely Roman influenced) representation of different societies, religions, etc... had common archetypes and symbols. According to one of my professors, who WILL give up the references once I have the time and energy to pin him down and shake them out of him, Jung actually took the shocking step of GOING TO OTHER CoUNTRIES and discovered that maybe the reports he got on all those gods & stuff were a tad bit misrepresented due to projection (yay shadow!).

Unfortunately, it's his later works, and a lot of them aren't translated. Grrrr. But I wants them, my precious. I wants to squeeze everything useful out of his dead brains and then make the world anew!
Thought about hiring a translator yourself and then having the two of you split the profits from any of the Self Publishing companies when you sell the books?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 am
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Kashaku-Tatsu

Debatable.
Um, no, not really.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 am
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Kashaku-Tatsu

Debatable.
Um, no, not really.
Not a soft polytheist.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 am
AngryRobotsInc.
Ignoring the god and goddess aspect, why can't it be both? Deities as independent entities, but also as aspects of something higher.

Yup. That's what I think. A bit of both.
Thanks for wording it for me mrgreen  

Yukroneanninja

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:04 am
Yukroneanninja
AngryRobotsInc.
Ignoring the god and goddess aspect, why can't it be both? Deities as independent entities, but also as aspects of something higher.

Yup. That's what I think. A bit of both.
Thanks for wording it for me mrgreen
Usually this is known as Monistic Hard Polytheism, or Hard Polytheism with an Emanation Mythos.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff