Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Mythological Revisionism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:21 am
Slightly off topic, and I should, mayhaps, make a thread of it...
but why is Oath-breaking so often construed as something divinities either don't or can't do?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:07 am
Fiddlers Green
but why is Oath-breaking so often construed as something divinities either don't or can't do?

In some cases it's because the Oaths are backed by Geas, or a culturally contextually similar concept.
In others they can and do  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:00 am
CuAnnan
Fiddlers Green

In some cases it's because the Oaths are backed by Geas, or a culturally contextually similar concept.

3nodding

Fiddler: Tyr can be an example of a deity that "broke" an oath, although he fully complied with a consequence to it. Depending on who you speak to, though, he still fulfilled the oath because he agreed that if they didn't release Fenrir, his hand could be bitten off (which he allowed when they didn't). It's a grey area between heathens on that account.

Cu, in the case of Geas, is it a guaranteed foreshadowing that they will break it? In the stories I remember, it seems that all the heroes would defy it in some way.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 am
saint dreya
Cu, in the case of Geas, is it a guaranteed foreshadowing that they will break it?

No.

saint dreya
In the stories I remember, it seems that all the heroes would defy it in some way.

Many heroes break their Geas.
Gods know better.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 pm
My impression is that the stories are demonstrating through the heroes the quality of a geas and the ramifications of breaking it. Essentially, it's an oath that you pledge your life to uphold - not upholding it makes your life forfeit; retaining the stories of heroes who broke the oath serves as a reminder to not make their mistake.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:39 pm
CuAnnan
Fiddlers Green

This is where I come down.

I know of many mythological traditions that show gods breaking oaths.
Within my tradition, I can usually check to see if someone's claims that they have been engaged by my gods is true with a very simple test.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 am
Fiddlers Green

I've thought about it a lot, and I think this might be a hang-on from the concept that gods are/should be benevolent which has it's roots in modern Christianity.

Many of my gods are benevolent... to themselves. ninja Some might even condescend to be benevolent to me, if it didn't muck up their plans too much.

In interacting with a lot of neo-pagans (and newagers) I've found there is a strong thread of "The Universe is a wonderful place that is good and fair and loves you" which is hugely out of step with actual historical spiritual/religious beliefs but which is in step with some strands on Evangelical Christianity.

Makes me giggle, to be honest.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:43 am
Deoridhe

I've thought about it a lot, and I think this might be a hang-on from the concept that gods are/should be benevolent which has it's roots in modern Christianity.

Many of my gods are benevolent... to themselves. ninja Some might even condescend to be benevolent to me, if it didn't muck up their plans too much.

In interacting with a lot of neo-pagans (and newagers) I've found there is a strong thread of "The Universe is a wonderful place that is good and fair and loves you" which is hugely out of step with actual historical spiritual/religious beliefs but which is in step with some strands on Evangelical Christianity.

I can see that.

And it confuses the ******** out of me- especially amongst Asatru Fluffs. I'm usually left thinking... "Dude, Tyr's missing a ******** hand!" gonk  

TeaDidikai

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:19 am
I think every pantheon that is even remotely well known gets the "Everything is sunshine, rainbows, and Skittles!" treatment from the fluffs. I know the Kemetic deities get it something fierce. Especially Aset and Bast. And people ignoring the stories that involve brothers chopping each other up, sexual molestation, tricking someone into eating their own semen, and the fact that the afterlife can involve you ceasing to exist entirely.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:01 am
AngryRobotsInc.
I think every pantheon that is even remotely well known gets the "Everything is sunshine, rainbows, and Skittles!" treatment from the fluffs. I know the Kemetic deities get it something fierce. Especially Aset and Bast. And people ignoring the stories that involve brothers chopping each other up, sexual molestation, tricking someone into eating their own semen, and the fact that the afterlife can involve you ceasing to exist entirely.
And then you'll get into this weird dichotomy wherein the Ruling deity will become YHVH and the gods who give him s**t will become The Devil and it's all Christian Revisionism that is carried forward by pagans.  

TeaDidikai

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:08 am
AngryRobotsInc.

Set and Horus. That story stuck in my mind so much that whenever I hear: Egypt, gods, and sex in the same sentence, I think about that one. gonk

I understand that in school, they can't teach children about incest and sex, but try reading a children's version of Greek mythology and then reading one intended for adults or teenagers. ******** again for me a few years ago. xD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:13 am
True Colours of Destiny
AngryRobotsInc.

Set and Horus. That story stuck in my mind so much that whenever I hear: Egypt, gods, and sex in the same sentence, I think about that one. gonk

I understand that in school, they can't teach children about incest and sex, but try reading a children's version of Greek mythology and then reading one intended for adults or teenagers. ******** again for me a few years ago. xD

Hel, the children's version, or at least the Fourth Grade one, still picks apart the sanctity of marriage, encourages being "the other woman" and then overly harps on petty jealousies.

The rape...well, that was implicit if only because of my understanding of the world.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

I can see that.

And it confuses the ******** out of me- especially amongst Asatru Fluffs. I'm usually left thinking... "Dude, Tyr's missing a ******** hand!" gonk

Yeah, well.... there's a reason scholarship is valued in Asatru. The tendencies to come to the new religion trying to keep everything that made you feel good from the last, and only see what makes you feel good in the new, is really insidious.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:26 pm
Deoridhe

Yeah, well.... there's a reason scholarship is valued in Asatru. The tendencies to come to the new religion trying to keep everything that made you feel good from the last, and only see what makes you feel good in the new, is really insidious.
Generalization... fluffy Asatru scare me more than fluffy IRAB Wiccans. Most of those IRAB Wiccans still have something that boils down to Agape to keep them in check. gonk  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:40 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Generalization... fluffy Asatru scare me more than fluffy IRAB Wiccans. Most of those IRAB Wiccans still have something that boils down to Agape to keep them in check. gonk

Fluffy Asatru are scary; there's a reason why many of the responsible of us are as bald and solidly condemning of racism as we are. I stand by the Niddstang against racism in the names of the gods, and had I the means I would erect one of my own, not just because racism is wrong but also as a means of setting myself - ourselves - apart from those who did murder in the name of ancestral pride.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff