Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, pros and cons. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of the upcoming Alice in Wonderland movie?
It looks great! I can't wait to see it!
79%
 79%  [ 31 ]
It looks okay, I'll see it, but I'm not that excited.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
It looks horrible!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'm half and half on it.
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:11 pm
@ Malicious Kitten: Lol, you can say that again. ^_^ Hopefully we're just worried for nothing.

@ Scuba_Steve1217: Oooh... you've got a point. If it's Disney then the merch is going to be pretty good quality and sold exclusive, which means we can expect at least to get our monies worth. That makes me happier, lol.

@ Ainsly: You have a point, but I feel like there are different type of 'darkness' in the two works. The 'darkness' in AiW seems, at least to me, to be more of an allusion to the unknown and the chaotic rather then to evil that it's usually associated with. And I envy you your Cheshire Cat shirt, lol! I really need to go shopping. XD

@ iMeanieFace: I agree; he's not hot. >_< But I did think he made a good pirate, so he is forgiven in my mind. I can't help it; I'm simple. XP But I think everyone's a little concerned about that... but we might just be jumping to conclusions. Keep the fingers crossed, hmm? Oh, and the Virgin store is a music/video/media store that's pretty huge, lol. ^_^; Weird name, huh?

@ chani_saint: *nodnod* Good point... eh, standdes... *shudders in a not so secret fear of them*

@ Elswood: Well put! I shall strive for your optimism!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:59 pm
I'm not sure what to think of the movie to be honest =
I mean, Tim Burton is an awesome director (one of my favourites) and I do love his movies, but I'm still curious as to how this particular movie will work out. We can't really expect his version to be like the book since I have found out what the plot of this is. The Disney version follows the story more then Tim Burton does.
And well, he could unfortuantly ruin it like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I love that story aswell, but his version of the movie wasn't exactly great, and I was dissapointed about it.
Also as mentioned before, the Twilight craze could also be the same as this, but the good thing about this one is that atleast it will be about a movie that I love (and one that where the author doesn't write like she's 12). Sorry, but that movie/book is ruining vampires for me.

Yes I will be extremly annoyed at the fact that people might start going on and on about how they love the Alice in Wonderland, and yet know nothing about it.
If people start saying they LOVE Alice in Wonderland, and then start talking about Tim Burton's version, then I will slap them. Mainly due to the fact that they have most likely never acutally read the books. I mean, how could you brag about being _____'s #1 fan is you haven't seen/read/heard anything else from it?

This will probably just remind me of the Tokio Hotel caze. All I've heard from people since they've made the album Scream are things such as "OMG I love them sooo much, Bill is soooo hot!"Thn when asked their favourite song, they would say things such as Scream, Ready Set Go, Monsoon, Don't Jump, ect. Yet you would never hear them say songs such as 1000 Mere, Ich Liebe Dich, Durch den Monsoon, ect. I know that they just took thier German songs and translated them to english, but still. Most of those people probably dont even know how they became soo popular in Germany.

Sorry, I got a little off topic. But still. The most we can do now is to sit and wait until the movie acutally comes out, then we can judge it smile

Plus atleast now there will be merchandise (: Instead of going to about 50 stores and only finding 2 things. Even if It will be Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

This information I have found can be explained in this site (for those that don't already know of it). http://www.aliceinwonderlandbook.blogspot.com/
Quote from the site:
In this new Burton's Wonderland movie Alice is already 17 years old and the plot tells that she is invited to attend a huge party at a Victorian estate. But when Alice finds out that she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of society snobs, she flees and again runs after the White Rabbit and through the hole into the Wonderland. Curiously she doesn't remember her previous encounters in Wonderland where her old acquaintances are waiting for her to help them. The Cheshire Cat, the March Hare and Tweedledee and Tweedledum are ready to rebel against the Red Queen who has taken the throne from her sister, the White Queen, and in doing so transformed the previously peaceful kingdom of Wonderland into a world of deceipt and disagreements.  

canadianpunk

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:50 pm
Oooh... thanks for the link. *clicks* Oooh... clicking doesn't work, but copy and past does!

God, I feel like I'm going to fall head over heals for the costuming. Amazing stuff, from the glimpses that are being released.

I wonder if they're going to explain why she doesn't remember? From just this prelim overview it sounds like its going to be an interesting take on the story -- I can see that as a really interesting reason to escape to Wonderland. It also sounds like something that may keep her in Wonderland... hmm. Also reminds me a tad bit of the Looking Glass Wars series, what with the battle of the Queens, something never actually implied in the books to my memory.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:24 pm
Malicious Kitten
I've seen a few threads about the upcoming movie "Alice in Wonderland," directed by Tim Burton. I decided that I wanted to get a few words in, not only talking about the pros, but also a few cons I'm concerned about.

Pros:
~Tim Burton is truely a genius. His movies give the viewer a sense of... entering a entirely new world, and that's something I really like about him. Wonderland litterally is a different world, so this seems it woud be his forte.
~Jonny Depp is an incredible actor, no doubt. He and Burton have great chemistry and work very well together.
~The animation looked very well done, and I personally think the character designs were adorable, and fit well with the characters.
~It's a live action Alice in Wonderland movie, need I say more?

However, there're a few things I'm worried about...

Cons:
~Although Burton is a fantastic director, we all know he specializes in "darker movies," therefore, once Alice in Wonderland comes out, all us true fans will have to deal with a bunch of emo/goth weeabos who claim to be honest, hardcore Alice in Wonderland fans, when all they've seen is the Burton's styled movie. That... will get annoying.
~Hot Topic will, without question, seize the oppertunity for another gothic-lolita line of clothing from Junk Food to market. Dare I say... it'll be just like the Twilight freenzy, and they came out with those (I don't mean to insult anyone who has it, it's just my personal opinion) cheezy shirts.
~It troubles me. This book, that was ment to be a small child's story, is being turned into... some horrible, evil, malicious tale. I've always pictured the story as cute, innocent, and crazy (in the fun way). But then again, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say that it'll turn out as I've predicted. Hopefully, I'll be pleasently surprised.

Anyway, those are simply a few of my troubles and excitments. I'm half and half on the movie, however, I haven't actually seen it yet, except for a few trailers, so I can't be sure of my cons.

Discuss:
~Your opinion on the Alice in Wonderland movie, coming out March 5, 2010.
~Your personal pros and cons on it.
~Anything else relating to the upcoming movie.

... I hope I havne't insulted anyone with my cons either. If I have, I am truely sorry readers. And excuse any grammatical errors I may have, I'm a bit tired from pulling an all-nighter.

Lady, I could not agree more with your cons. Thats why I'm sorta dreading this movie...Johnny depp shouldnt have been Hatter...not saying anything bad about depp, but it'd be like casting Micheal clark duncan for alice  

Johnny Graves

King Louis XVII

2,850 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Informer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:58 pm
Have none of you remembered what I said?

This is not 'Alice in Wonderland' it is just called that.

It is 'Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There'.

It's a darker version of that anyway and may also have hints of 'American McGee's Alice'.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:43 pm
@ Aiden: Oh we remember. I know I personally don't disagree; I think the main problem is that everyone who grew up with/is a hardcore fan of the original books (or the original 'Through the Looking Glass...') is wary about this production.

There are some 'dark' things in the original books, but they weren't put there meaning to be dark. It was a far different time then the one in which we live, and things seem to be taken out of context for this book a lot. Which is by no means an absolute bad thing... I know a fear for me isn't that it will be dark because it's an attempt at begin artistic, but will be 'dark' simply for the sake of being dark, to the extent of type casting and such. Just to draw in those prone to craze rather then hardcore fans.

That being said, it's still not a bad thing. *shrug*

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Lily of the Sword
Crew

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:18 pm
As much as I love Alice in Wonderland, the new movie now just makes me mad. All the plot line is, is a major rip off of the Looking Glass Wars. I like the books but I want to see the movie that's actually based off of that. Not the crap Disney and Burton have pulled.

There's more of an explanation in the new thread I posted on another Alice movie being made.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:24 pm
I mostly agree... but since I haven't read through the entire plot yet nor seen the movie I'm trying to hold off on how close the two plot lines really are. I did hear somewhere that there were plans to make a Looking Glass Wars movie series, but I have no idea what happened to that. ._.

The thing is, every rendition of Alice in Wonderland sounds somewhat alike. Alice always faces off against the Red Queen/the Queen of Hearts, there's always the hint of tyranny... I feel like its going to come down to how they present it and where they decided to take that standard.

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

The Great Pumpkin Waltz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:41 pm
i agree completely with every con. it makes me feel horrible what is about to happen in the near future.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:43 pm
Aiden Blackwell
Have none of you remembered what I said?

This is not 'Alice in Wonderland' it is just called that.

It is 'Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There'.

It's a darker version of that anyway and may also have hints of 'American McGee's Alice'.

through the looking glass is in the title of the book. its in no way sounding "darker" as you put it. rolleyes  

The Great Pumpkin Waltz

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 pm
I do hope they make a Looking Glass Wars movie... Dodge is so dumb sometimes but he's my bff. (Along with Anthony Hopkins. He rocks my socks, for the record.)

And it's quite true what Damsel said-- there are only so many renditions of the same basic story-- one could make it directly based off the book(s), a gothic experience, a lucid drug trip, a sci-fi-fantasy conglomeration, etc. etc., but it's always still the same basic story.... It's sort of like music; there are only so many notes, some of the melodies are bound to be similar.

Oh, and in response to the comments about fangirls/emo children/other perhaps annoying fans of concern.... well, let them all be wrapped up in their world of illusions of grandeur for having seen the movie. Y'all can rest easy with the knowledge that you get the story and its origins better than they do. If they bother you about parts of the movie's plot, just start making random but intelligent-sounding references to the books and different events of Carroll's era that may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with the actual storyline. See if they catch on. *evil laugh*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 pm
@ Chihiro Sheeta: I know what you mean... I was in the movie theater the other day and I saw the White Queen advertisement banner for the movie. I was delighted for about three seconds before this little group of... individuals... started talking loud, loud crap about it. Enthusiastic crap, maybe, but still crap; I sighed and walked away.

The thing is, people like this will go away eventually. I'm determined to ignore them myself and enjoy the parts of the movie that stand out to me as different and unique. ^_^v

@ Night-Night: I agree! I absolutely love the takes on the traditional characters in those books... especially the White Rabbit and the Mad Hatter. *nodnod* That's why I'm kinda scratching my head over having heard one mention of it going up on the big screen and then never hearing word of it again... O.o

Haha, that's evil. ^_^ Watch out, though: you may prompt people to do some research and become real, hardcore fans! Beware, bewaaare..! XD

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

chani_saint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:26 pm
Disney is all about money these days and not art. If Depp wasnt in it I dont think people would be making such a big deal about it. I love Depp's work, no doubt it. But I much prefer his 90's career over his choices now. viva la Gilbert Grape!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 pm
@ chani_saint: Ah... sadly, that's mostly true. True and very, very sad. sad I love Disney now and forever, but it really makes me sad to think that a lot of the fundamental values have gone down the tubes.

You know, that's probably a good point. Since Depp has come to be associated with a certain type of movie over the last few years I guess he alone could draw that kind of crowd that everyone's so concerned about.

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

chani_saint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:38 pm
no doubt, he kicks a**. i wish that people respected his talent and not his cute face.  
The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games