Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Taliah's Eclectic Musings Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:04 pm
On the nature of Panentheism:
The Gospel of Thomas

3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:31 pm
TeaDidikai
It was a choice. In essence, if you do not have the ability to comprehend sin, you cannot be under it.
That said, it's a metaphor in most of Christendom, and shouldn't be taken literally. In essence, Baptism basically acknowledges and cleanses you of the initial sins of humanity that have brought forth humanity.

Oh yes, I wasn't thinking about it as a metaphor. Now that I think on it metaphorically, it doesn't make much sense as a reason does it?

A little bit of a side-track, but is it mainly the extremist Christians that condemn pre-marital (or just non-reproductive) sex, marijuana, and alcohol, or are there verses that forbid those?

Quote:
Why do you think YHVH didn't want this to happen?

Well, I wouldn't want my children to face such hardships if I could help it. I can understand that much. Sometimes it's really hard to imagine a conflict-less paradise.

Quote:
All sins.
Not only that, but Yeshua instituted Agape.

Alright, that's more clear now.

Quote:
Here's the thing though- you don't know for sure how you would have developed without that suffering.

My menses isn't nearly as bad as yours was, but it was pretty bad. That being said, empathy never came from that. There are other sources of empathy, and a lot of this learning depends on how you process your world.

That's true. Then I'd say my foundation of empathy came from my mother. She would always say to me when I was a kid, "Think about other people's feelings, and if you know that what you're about to say or do would hurt your own feelings, keep them to yourself." If she found me being naughty, she would take that situation specifically and show me how mean I was being. I'm very grateful to her for that, because I really could be a little snot.
Somewhere down the line I really took it heart, and it's still a big, almost unconscious thing now.

Quote:
Want a soft copy, or do you want to buy a copy for cheep?

Soft copies are great. Thank you. 3nodding  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:59 pm
Taliah
Now that I think on it metaphorically, it doesn't make much sense as a reason does it?
Nope.
Quote:

A little bit of a side-track, but is it mainly the extremist Christians that condemn pre-marital (or just non-reproductive) sex, marijuana, and alcohol, or are there verses that forbid those?
Mind altering substances have numerous verses dedicated to their discussion. For the most part, the idea is that if you loose your senses, you loose your ability to willfully engage in loving behavior.

Most of the sexual immorality talk is addressed clearly by Jewish scriptures- as a result, the Greek is often assumed to talk about the same issues.

How reasonable this is can be debated- especially given the laws about rape and marriage.

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't want my children to face such hardships if I could help it. I can understand that much. Sometimes it's really hard to imagine a conflict-less paradise.
The flip side of this is that children grow up. They need to learn to make their own choices.

Quote:

That's true. Then I'd say my foundation of empathy came from my mother. She would always say to me when I was a kid, "Think about other people's feelings, and if you know that what you're about to say or do would hurt your own feelings, keep them to yourself." If she found me being naughty, she would take that situation specifically and show me how mean I was being. I'm very grateful to her for that, because I really could be a little snot.
Somewhere down the line I really took it heart, and it's still a big, almost unconscious thing now.
That's awesome.
I had a similar thing between my Nana and I.
Quote:

Soft copies are great. Thank you. 3nodding
Welcome.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 pm
Taliah
Gho the Girl
Wow, we have alot to talk about. I really like what I see here, and, if I may, will make a few comments and suggest some reading material. Take from them what you will, and that will be enough.

Thanks for the feedback to begin with. 3nodding
Very welcome.
Quote:

Gho the Girl
Have you heard of the Gospel of Thomas? It offers a peak of Jesus's teachings before those concepts became official doctrine.

Actually I haven't heard of that, and it does sound really interesting. Do you know of a good source over the internet I might could find?
There's a list of translations provided, if these aren't good enough, I have a copy that was emailed to me that I especially like.
Quote:

Gho the Girl
And why is this? What brought you to this conclusion?

It's mostly what I told Tea, I think. The part about travel is both from my love of history and foreign cultures, and my extreme lack of location changes. While I loved my home, and before I started college, I absolutely loathed the fact that my family moved during my senior year of high school (I stubbornly drove the extra 50 minutes to stay at that school instead of transferring)... I've also come to realize how little I really know about the world. I hate the idea (now) of staying in one spot forever. I want to see places of historic value, to be in those areas where our ancestors lived, fought, and built magnificent things that we might still see today. I want my knowledge to stem not just from books, but from actual experiences and events. In this way, I still have my book knowledge, but I will have my own personal knowledge to add and reinforce the book information.
Very cool.  

Gho the Girl

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Nope.

Well, looks like I'll be scrapping that part of my post and start thinking a bit more on why exactly I feel strange with Christianity.

TeaDidikai
Mind altering substances have numerous verses dedicated to their discussion. For the most part, the idea is that if you loose your senses, you loose your ability to willfully engage in loving behavior.

So it's alright, but within a responsible and reasonable limit.
That's simple enough, and what my mother tends to believe as well.

TeaDidikai
Most of the sexual immorality talk is addressed clearly by Jewish scriptures- as a result, the Greek is often assumed to talk about the same issues.

I'd like to find those verses. Would Bible Gateway work for that? Or would you suggest a different site for them (seems like Sacred-Texts had some Hebrew translated on there, if I recall right)?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:48 pm
Thank you both for the links, I'll be reading up on them soon as I get some more freetime. 3nodding

Gho the Girl
Very cool.

redface Aww thanks  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:46 pm
Taliah

I'd like to find those verses. Would Bible Gateway work for that? Or would you suggest a different site for them (seems like Sacred-Texts had some Hebrew translated on there, if I recall right)?
The major problem with this is that our culture doesn't have a "Marriage by Rape" law. There was no pre-marital sex in those days, because having sex was only done between people who were married (the man was made to pay a bride price).

Adultery was done between a married person and either another married person, or someone who was not married, but the individual could not have taken as an additional wife.

We can talk about what Deut. 22 says about this stuff, but it basically boils down to "Don't ******** people who aren't your spouse."

All of which is reconsidered within the Law of Agape, and given that Saul opted for Chastity over marriage anyway...

What "Christianity" has to say about sex outside of marriage is different from what Paulianism has to say about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:31 am
TeaDidikai
The major problem with this is that our culture doesn't have a "Marriage by Rape" law. There was no pre-marital sex in those days, because having sex was only done between people who were married (the man was made to pay a bride price).

Not even a random knock up behind bushes when nobody was looking? Just how young did girls get sold off married to their husbands anyway?  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:57 pm
Taliah
TeaDidikai

Not even a random knock up behind bushes when nobody was looking? Just how young did girls get sold off married to their husbands anyway?
Arranged by families and the like.

Here's what I'm saying, if an interested couple had sex, they were considered spouses.
If there was forced sex and the woman wanted nothing to do with the man, he was made to pay for violating her virginity.
If she could stand him, she was married and the bride price was paid.
If she wasn't willing but failed to cry for help, she was punished along side the one who forced her as adulterers.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:23 am
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks. smile  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff