Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
pagan motherhood? ~help please!!!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:08 am
maenad nuri
I get what Kat is saying guys.
So do I. I also know that if someone isn't able to actually accept honest advice, and that if someone becomes righteously indignant about people actually trying to help, that there is something wrong with the picture.

If you could point out how the good advice was rude, insulting or mean, sure. But this isn't the case.
Quote:

the initial responses could easily be interpreted as venomous and not very helpful.
With respect, bull. It isn't easily interpreted, it takes a special kind of thin skin to have "Confirm it" responded to with righteous indignation about how dare we not spoon feed her useless information about religious traditions that don't apply to her.

Quote:
what is motherhood and pregnancy in our various religions?
Is this what she actually wants? (Gotta give her what she wants after all.) Because clearly she isn't part of an established religious tradition.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:16 am
In this particualar case, I'd actually say it was more formatting than anything. It's a stupid reason, and I don't think it was wholly out of line to make sure medical and physical are being take care of first. I knew when I read her first post, I sorta facepalmed, knew it wouldn't go well.

Now, as for it actually being what she wants? This I no longer care about. I think my idea is far more interesting without turning the guild into a mommy and me zone. xd  

maenad nuri
Captain

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:52 am
Motherhood is something that is still an incredibly traditional thing in this country, even if the context has gone through several changes.

My sister got pregnant before she got clean, when I was doing my Leaving Cert. I skipped out of the majority of my final year of primary school to help raise my nephew.

Ritually, we have a lot to relearn from Catholicism (and I'm sure other religions and flavours of Christianity, but I've only experienced Catholicism). The rite of Baptism is a beautiful one. It is about welcoming the child into two families and reminding the human family that they are part of the family of God (for the most part wink ).

So there's where I'd start. Welcome the child, ritually, to your family.

I have to admit, though, I am against raising a child pagan. I would raise my child with a superficial understanding of my religion but not a member of it. They would simply believe because I do, meaning that they lack the critical thinking that I believe is neccessary for pagan religions to survive.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:28 am
eartha oak
I am possibly expecting and I am asking for all your support! I am possibly gonna be alone in this one, a single mother-wolf if you will..lol...I had to add a laugh...no back to the subject I am jut asking maybe if some pagan mothers or fathers can give me any tips on pregnancy and or parenting..I just want to be a good mother,I am so young im only 18 but I can do this I jsut need some supoort and help like tips and info on pagan parenting.

Most of my advice is going to come from biology, experience with parent friends of mine, and psychology. Not paganism. For one, I would suggest you find yourself a pack (to continue the wolfy analogy) in the form of friends and family. Support of loved ones when you're a single parent has helped many of my single parent friends immensely. And that old adage that it takes a village to raise a child, while not necessarily true for all or even most cases, can certainly mean that it's easier and nicer for all.

Especially if you're seeking to raise your child in a pagan environment of some kind. Mainstream society is disapproving of such things so support from your community is a helpful booster to confidence in your actions.

18 geez. That's really young. I would suggest getting a good chunk of just standard advice from the professionals on child rearing to make things turn out the best. You ought to concentrate first on your child's welfare and second on the religious aspects of the situation.

Quote:
blessed be!
<3
Eartha Oak

I would ask that you not say that phrase in relation to me. I do not accept blessings from things I am not familiar with, as other's ideas on what is blessed are very different from my own.

Thank you.  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:36 pm
It is very common for mothers to have a lot of mistaken impressions of what it will be liked to have a child and help it grow.

If you are pregnant, I would recommend figuring out who your support structure can and should be and getting dietary and health advice from your doctors. Get regular checkups. Pay attention to how your body feels and respond to that.

Nothing about pregnancy has survived, so far as I know. My guess is there were local, cultural practices around it, but I know none of the specifics. I'd be more inclined, these days, to get a solid grounding in the current medical and midwifery understanding of pregnancy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 pm
maenad nuri
In this particualar case, I'd actually say it was more formatting than anything.
The old "dissecting of an OP = bad" thing? wink

Quote:
I think my idea is far more interesting without turning the guild into a mommy and me zone. xd
Fair enough. I don't think I feel safe in posting anything on my religious or cultural traditions, given the trends I have seen.

My other two cents would be in addition to what Cu said:

CuAnnan
I have to admit, though, I am against raising a child pagan. I would raise my child with a superficial understanding of my religion but not a member of it. They would simply believe because I do, meaning that they lack the critical thinking that I believe is neccessary for pagan religions to survive.
If I was pagan, this would be where I would come down myself.

Not only that, but let's face it, statistically on this guild, most people were raised some flavor of Christian. YHVH's kinda into generational curses, and to expect a child to be cursed for the parent violating their oaths when penance is an option seems cruel to me.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces