Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Music Artists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

A musician's guild! 

Tags: musicians, music, instruments, bands 

Reply The Music Artists Guild
Is rap music? Should rappers be allowed in this guild? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like rap?
  It's ok...
  <3 RAP!!! <3
  Ugh!! I hate rap!!!
View Results

The artistic shaman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:52 pm
a** Pirate
The thing that makes me mad about rap is all the nobody rappers that go on TV and all they say is stuff like "You know me." and then hey throw money or drive aound in a fancy car with some slutty chicks with fat asses.I don't have a ******** clue who they are, most people don't, but still al their lyrics are so concieded and boring. I like some rap, I don't mind the occasional video, but so many of them just go on there and talk, some do rap properly, with a cool beat and everything but all the little nobodys that sound the same and suck come on talking about themselves and killing someones mom. I guess its the same with some bands too(not the violence part) but its more annoying with rap because they're bascally talking.
I only listen to it when Im in a bd mood and want to break something. Some rappers do have some skillfully written lyrics though. And I respect that, but all the little wannabes piss me off.

You don't know who they are because there underground rappers, see if you dont know them.... I'll stop right there.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 pm
Lantis0001
Under this guild's rules, rappers fit in with songwriters, so they're allowed in.

I'm very selective on what I listen to, and most rap music is just about my gang, my bling, or my b**** broke up with me. In a way, it's just black country city music.

But, some more emerging artists are making it more interesting, talking about more than themselves, and I have to respect that.

Only, there's an unspoken rule that's being broken with every new album that comes out, and I blame Vanilla Ice for starting this. Don't sample classic songs. Randy Rhodes should not be in a rap song EVER.

thats the problem people always looking down on rap not listening to any of the good sides. Have you heared 2pac changes, til the end of time, thug mansion. you listen to the gangsta rappers and think its al bad, but you have to listen to it all to truly say if its bad or not.  

The artistic shaman

Seabhac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:02 pm
I don't listen to rap very much, but in my French class we listened to a few M.C. Solaar songs, and I find that I really enjoy his version of rap. Maybe it's because I think it's amusing to hear rap in French. But no, I also like what he does with the genre, using it to his advantage--like with the rhyming and the rhythm--to get across his message. I do think that rappers are musicians. They have to be able to stick to a beat, at the very least, and some go far beyond that and are very talented.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:01 am
Eccojedi
Cheo-tsin
Exacly. It could be the same thing for religion. I mean think about it. The people that come to your door that are always trying to convert you is because they prolly think there religion is the best, but there is no best religion. Its what you believe and how much you believe in it. Its not a matter of religion you are, its the matter of how much you believe in it. Just like its not a matter of what kinda music you listin to its the matter of how devoted you are into it. well thats just my opinion

Don't get me started on religion, though... The difference between God and Rap music is that you can't turn on the radio and hear God, so rap has the strength of proven existance.

On the subject of rap and hip hop, though, the reason many people don't like it is because of their preconceived notions about what the subject matter and talent actually involves. Most of these are simply individuals who have listened to mainstream stations and heard celebrities such as 50-Cent and Eminem, not even thinking that there might be something more. For instance, I hate to say it, but there IS good country music out there, you just don't hear it from the likes of the idiots on the radio.

If you're wanting good hip-hop, listen to Atmosphere, listen to Outkast, Listen to Aesop Rock... Hell, listen to Bone Thugs n' Harmony, even listen to the Grey Album, Dangamouse's remix of JayZ's black album and The White Album (if you're not too busy adhering to the 'no classic songs' rule.)

I am personally not a big rap or hip-hop fan, but as a musician I have to appreciate it for what it is, a form of musical art. There are rappers out there that can spit lines on beat so fast your head would spin, and to do that with rhythm does take a talent... For instance, try singing or talking while tapping out an 8 part beat at 180BPM on a djembe or drumset. Now try to make it sound good.

dude......I don't think i said anything about god..  

W1nterSold1er

Eccojedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:32 pm
synn b***h ya
Eccojedi
Cheo-tsin
Exacly. It could be the same thing for religion. I mean think about it. The people that come to your door that are always trying to convert you is because they prolly think there religion is the best, but there is no best religion. Its what you believe and how much you believe in it. Its not a matter of religion you are, its the matter of how much you believe in it. Just like its not a matter of what kinda music you listin to its the matter of how devoted you are into it. well thats just my opinion

Don't get me started on religion, though... The difference between God and Rap music is that you can't turn on the radio and hear God, so rap has the strength of proven existance.

On the subject of rap and hip hop, though, the reason many people don't like it is because of their preconceived notions about what the subject matter and talent actually involves. Most of these are simply individuals who have listened to mainstream stations and heard celebrities such as 50-Cent and Eminem, not even thinking that there might be something more. For instance, I hate to say it, but there IS good country music out there, you just don't hear it from the likes of the idiots on the radio.

If you're wanting good hip-hop, listen to Atmosphere, listen to Outkast, Listen to Aesop Rock... Hell, listen to Bone Thugs n' Harmony, even listen to the Grey Album, Dangamouse's remix of JayZ's black album and The White Album (if you're not too busy adhering to the 'no classic songs' rule.)

I am personally not a big rap or hip-hop fan, but as a musician I have to appreciate it for what it is, a form of musical art. There are rappers out there that can spit lines on beat so fast your head would spin, and to do that with rhythm does take a talent... For instance, try singing or talking while tapping out an 8 part beat at 180BPM on a djembe or drumset. Now try to make it sound good.

Think about all the hip hop artist you just mentioned, they all came from the street they were nothing and made somthing out of themselves. They were living in hell were you could be shot just for wereing a certain color in a certain part of the city. rap is more then music its what the artist is, what he came from, how he feels.

Yes, some of them did grow up on the streets, but many of them rap about things they know nothing about, and some of them have little talent and get by on a gimmick... For instance, 50 Cent wouldn't be nearly as famous if he hadn't been shot so many times.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:08 am
ummm well i rele love rap...specially eminem because they do express themselves well...i justt don't feel that it's actually that musical...i mean; it's not flowing in that sense but actually ya i can't rele comment on it it's confusing me...i like rap though heart  

-hopefully-romantic-

Saurencaerthai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm
got_rock
It just doesn't sound like music. I hate it.

What does music sound like, then? I'm curious to know so that I can get rid of all those albums that deceived me by calling themselves music.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:43 am
I love how this has turned into a bashing fest. stare

Let's get this straight: whether any of you like it or not, rap IS music. It's not arguable. It's got a beat, it's got some sort of intrumental melody, and it's got lyrics and vocals. It's music. Plain and simple. I dont enjoy most rap, in fact, I cant stand most of it, but I do accept that it is music, it's a recognized genre, and that many people enjoy it.

It's just like for me and rock. people get a release from rap that I get from rock. It's the same thing... who are you guys to judge what other people see as skill and good music?

I mean... look at alot of adults. They think any hardcore/screaming/heavy guitar riffs arent music... who are they to judge?

I'm just saying, stop the bashing. I dont care about discussion, but try not to BASH the hell outa rap...

And YES, rappers ARE allowed in this guild.

x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Captain

Stacie Chick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:04 am
stringstrider
I hate rap and in no way think its music, however, many people like it and they are entitled to their opinions, there is no reason to not allow them in this guild
Ya. what he sayed. he is so right. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:58 am
I don't like rap, so I'm going to say no  

HoshiiChan

XxFablexX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:24 am
I personally like rap, but that's not exactly what's affecting my opinion here.

I think that really, especially in the instance here as in joining this guild, that rap should be considered a music. Now, I know rap doesnt always have the most "instrumental" sound to it but I don't know about you, but I've tried writing rap before and it's not as easy to do as some people would lead you to believe.

Although it IS true SOME rap should only be thought of as 75% of the word crap, some rappers are good and put thought into their lyrics. Think about it, if you write lyrics you could in a way be considered a musician right? Well writing rap is about the same idea, only possibly even in some ways harder because you have to have more of a rythm. -In my honest opinion and in experience from writing both-  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:11 pm
in a rap band, the only people who have any traces of talent are the musicians. not the rapper. because all they're doing is screaming random words. it's completely pointless!  

Ice-Blue Stare

A Moment Past No Return

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:22 am
Well one thing I gotta say is I think more than 60% rap is total bull, now that I got that out of the way.

Rap is a lot harder to do than most people give credit done right it can be really good. Now what the misconception is that those of you people saying its talking. That is called flowing; flowing and rapping are two different things just because you put a beat to words doesn't mean its rap. R&B has a beat but does that mean its rap no. Another misconception is rap is just mindless random words wrong again that is called freestyling. Know there are groups out there that should be put to death for their so called talent. But many a rappers have talent, to have the ability to rap especially fast is the same as a drummer playing a beat only rappers use there mouth. You have to have rhythm if you don't you can not rap I can personally rap 126 wm (words a minute) which is pretty fricking fast (for an example check out B.O.B. from Outkast).

Now I am a rapper now before you get all defensive on me I started out writing poetry then soft rock songs and then progressed to rap and R&B. I put meaning into my songs (for example):
I was lost now I'm found. I could go another ten rounds. In the ring like Mohamed Ali, I am gonna fight so I can just be me.:
Not just mindless junk about tits, a**, and money. So the point I am trying to make, don't judge artist's by the genre they present judge them by the talent they possess.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 am
katielynn5757
ummm well i rele love rap...specially eminem because they do express themselves well...i justt don't feel that it's actually that musical...i mean; it's not flowing in that sense but actually ya i can't rele comment on it it's confusing me...i like rap though heart

I like rap too. just because its rap does not mean its not music! I like rap and so do alot of other people...then again alot of people dont..i think people can have thier own opinions  

Cemetery at Sundown

Teh Rock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:28 pm
Damn.... I didn't think that this would get to be such a popular thread.  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff