Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Bindings Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:51 pm
AniMajor

I really should get a compression vest, because sports bras just don't work at all. It's just that Ace bandages are so much cheaper.

I've heard of a medical tape way, but I need to look at it again because it's probably much more comfortable, stays better, and is still pretty cheap.

I don't crossplay too often, but most of the crossplay costumes I've done are really layered and hot, so the better I can do the binding, the less I have to worry about it slipping and not being able to fix it.

Ace bandages just subject you to a certain amount of serious risk and can impact breathing in a general sense. Compression vests are quite a bit better.

Unfortunately, like many specialized gear that is better than the ad hoc version, it is also more expensive. x_x  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:11 pm
Maze
What would be the use of sanctifying books? Does it increase the worth of the words inside?
Ask the Norse. I know the Havamal actually commands it to be a known skill, though this is commonly tied to the blooding of runes.

Quote:

What's the additional value of sanctifying something? Does it become more 'pure' or something?
The practices differ based on tradition, but the general concept is that of making something holy or setting it aside for special (spiritual use).

Nines
What's the word for people posting things in forums that coincide with events happening in one's daily life?
Coincidence.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:51 am
TeaDidikai
Maze
What would be the use of sanctifying books? Does it increase the worth of the words inside?
Ask the Norse. I know the Havamal actually commands it to be a known skill, though this is commonly tied to the blooding of runes.

I've read the Havamal several times, but that's been a while. I don't actually remember that being in it, though. *ponders* I'll have another look. 3nodding

Quote:
Quote:

What's the additional value of sanctifying something? Does it become more 'pure' or something?
The practices differ based on tradition, but the general concept is that of making something holy or setting it aside for special (spiritual use).

Oh, okay. Nothing funny beyond what I expected then. Well, generally speaking, hehe. I suppose it's be kind of like keeping your Sunday clothes for Sunday? If you put it.. crudely.. XD  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:30 am
Maze

I've read the Havamal several times, but that's been a while. I don't actually remember that being in it, though. *ponders* I'll have another look. 3nodding
I think it was in verse 145.

Quote:

Oh, okay. Nothing funny beyond what I expected then. Well, generally speaking, hehe. I suppose it's be kind of like keeping your Sunday clothes for Sunday? If you put it.. crudely.. XD
I don't see why that would be crude myself. wink  

TeaDidikai

Nines19

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Nines
What's the word for people posting things in forums that coincide with events happening in one's daily life?
Coincidence.

I thought it was that, but I was hoping for something fancier, I guess. I always liked pretty words better, when I could understand them.

...that sounds really whiney in my head. It's not meant to.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 pm
Nines19

I thought it was that, but I was hoping for something fancier, I guess. I always liked pretty words better, when I could understand them.

Colloquial use of Serendipity?  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:06 am
TeaDidikai
Maze

I think it was in verse 145.

Hmm, I've had a look, but either I'm reading the wrong versions or I just can't find it. (I've checked several online and they vary as night and day, it seems, what the hell.) Which version are you using?

Quote:
Quote:

I don't see why that would be crude myself. wink

Hehehe, I'm probably using the wrong word, then. Non-native English speaker and all that, but I meant it as a really basic comparison.

TeaDidikai
Nines19

Would Happenstance work?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 am
Maze
TeaDidikai

Would Happenstance work?

Fortuitous Probability Alignment?  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:54 pm
Maze
Hmm, I've had a look, but either I'm reading the wrong versions or I just can't find it. (I've checked several online and they vary as night and day, it seems, what the hell.) Which version are you using?
Hand translated notes from an Icelandic Godhi out of Seattle-ish area.

From the one off the quick search of Sacred Texts, we have:
Knowest how one shall write, | knowest how one shall rede?
Knowest how one shall tint, Knowest how one makes trial?
Knowest how one shall ask, Knowest how one shall offer?
Knowest how one shall send, Knowest how one shall sacrifice?

His footnotes addressed the process of sanctification in regards to "tinting", also translated as "redden" and "blooding".

Basically, the whole stanza addresses knowledge of processes, rather than the actual procedures for a given sacred act.

Quote:

Hehehe, I'm probably using the wrong word, then. Non-native English speaker and all that, but I meant it as a really basic comparison.
Your word choice made sense. The situation not as much. ~shrugs~ I don't think of it as a base comparison.

Quote:

Would Happenstance work?
Yeah, but for fancy I like Serendipity.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 am
Taliah
I've always thought the idea of binding your own books would be a neat thing to do one day. Granted, I haven't the first clue how, or even what I would deem important enough to bind into a book.

i can't help with the what at all, but i stumbled across this website last year when looking for homemade holiday decorations and such. yes, it's a arts and crafts site, but book binding is a craft (and an art), right? (just not possitive on how it compares to professional book binding)

http://www.dadcando.com/default_MAKING.asp?project=BookBinding&catagory=Craft&lhs=Craft

the only downside is that you have to sign up to get the how-tos, the good news is its free.  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:21 pm
whiporwill-o
yes, it's a arts and crafts site, but book binding is a craft (and an art), right?
It is indeed.
But then, I'm not the kind of person to set aside elements of daily life as being external to my spiritual life.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 pm
TeaDidikai
But then, I'm not the kind of person to set aside elements of daily life as being external to my spiritual life.

sorry, i don't think i understand what you just said sweatdrop  

whiporwill-o

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:07 am
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai

Essentially, what she's indicating is that her religion is not separate from other aspects of her life, and the distinction between "religious" things and "secular" things in her life is less a line than a smudge.

I think.

ninja 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:39 am
Deoridhe
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai

Essentially, what she's indicating is that her religion is not separate from other aspects of her life, and the distinction between "religious" things and "secular" things in her life is less a line than a smudge.

I think.

ninja 4laugh
Not even a smudge really.

It's fully integrated- which is really hard to explain to people who have seen me at Pagan Festivals. It takes a certain understanding to get that I don't go there because it's part of my religion.  

TeaDidikai

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 pm
It may seem strange, but when I printed out my first copy of the Eddas, I bound them in a red folder to make a make-shift book. Though I don't really know terminology for such an act, I did feel as though I put some of myself back into the book after each reading. It was like I absorbed the material and then let the material absorb part of me; not in a sacrificial sense, but more in a "you have given me so I'm giving to you." I'm sorry I'm so terrible at articulating myself, but I hope this gets the point across.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff