Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Warhound Titan Scratchbuild: penny-pinching at its finest. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:04 am
i know but i like the effect the spray gives thats why im trying every chemical i can think of to try and stop the reaction. it gives the awesome effect that it has been hit by an acid attack and it looks cool to boot. but over time because the reaction is uber slow but continuous it ends upcopletely erroading the foam board stuff.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 pm
after some thinking, and sketching out, I have decided I will finish the foam/styrofoam titan. it will be put together by tooth picks and tape...
However, the actual titan I will devote more love to will be a plasticard one.
I have a friend who has found a site with which he wants to buy blue robs for his necrons, and it has sheets at the right price and size for me to make my titan. Does anyone have tips on the usage of plasticard?
will upload pictures of the finished styrofoam one as I can.  

bjs.09-00

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:07 pm
Try and get the kind that's grooved with a fine grid on one side; it's much easier to snap into straight lines, just keep the side with the grid on it on the inside. It should be available at most model train shops.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 am
A buddy of mine buit his Chaos Warhound out of PLasti-card, and claims that, while it takes a bit of time, if you follow the template it's not that difficult.

I look forward to seeing pictures of yours.  

Ziegfried

bjs.09-00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:00 am
I am still gathering the plasti-card, as I have to take the time to gather the bits and other such items I will need. I will include pieces as soon as the first bits are finished.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 pm
I love to build stuff from scratch, I applaud your use of foam as a construction material, however may I suggest using industrial insulation foam board (purchasable at lowes/home depot), true its a tad more out of the wallet but it is 90% easier to cut exact details out of and dose very well when a hot-wire cutter is used on it.

Also it can be coated in either Jesso or elmers glue to make a hard finish for painting, normal foam will melt under spray paint sad  

Isis47470

bjs.09-00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 pm
HUGE UPDATE:
dropped foam. totally.
got a pattern to make a plasticard one figured out, and am currently gathering the materials.
will be bending using boiling water as catalyst to ease bending.
plan to have turbolaser and plasma blastgun, will be a lucius pattern as originally planned.
will be using plastic bits to decorate/imperialize.
though I am having an issue of:
what in the name of sam hill should I name the thing?
it will be latin, but I can't think of anything that hasn't been done before.
Indominitus Ferros is the best I have come up with.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:14 pm
"Helios Proxus" is the name of a warship in a novel i am currently working on. feel free to use it if it for your titan if you think it sounds awesome enough  

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:06 pm
Don't put your plastic in boiling water. For Plasticard, you'd probably be able to make do much better with either a hair dryer or a heat gun on low. Boiling water will make it much harder to control the bend.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 pm
I was only planning on a half second dip in water that has been boiled, not is boiling! eek
but we can both agree, heat is needed to ease bending.
I think i will try the hair dryer first then.
I have a little better of a name, that has a ring to it in my ears.
Ferros Lupus, "Iron Hound"
whaddyathink? Dunno why, but i am attached to an "Iron" theme for this.
most likely will be painted deep red/boltgun silver, with brass accents.
EDIT: cannot seem to get pics up.
working on it.  

bjs.09-00

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 am
The guys at my old GW used a heat gun to shape plastic, it worked pretty well for them.

I like the name, it sounds fitting for a Warhound titan.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 am
after consideration (and discussion with guys from the flgs who have worked with plasticard before) I will be cutting certain pieces out at the bend joint and adhering them together for the sake of my safety, sanity, and general well being.
this does increase build time by about 2 months, however.
I have approximately 1/2 of the plasticard neeeded, I just need the tubes and such for the guns and the pvc for the leg joints.
here are the pics for the prototype, which fell apart on the trip to the flgs, so it's kinda broken.
used posterboard-ish paper.
and photobucket is hating my photos, so no pics for now, sorry.  

bjs.09-00

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces