Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
WARNING! Massive Art Dump! [ New Art! 1/18/09 p.5] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I Improving?
  Yes, very much so
  Not very noticably
  Not at all, (Comment on Re-occuring mistakes please)
View Results

Morrosseth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:56 am

I'm just gonna go waaaay back to Friday. : D

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Cloth and folds because I can do that better than anatomy and... Stuff. :U

What is good is that you remembered that there will be wrinkles as the dress is being pulled in by the cloth around her mid section. : D Excellent. But also remember to take the nature of the garment into consideration. Since it folded where it met the blue fabric, I'm getting the impression that this is not a tight, tight dress but a flowy one. Therefore the fabric will hang off protrusions. So you really wouldn't see the under curves of the breasts because the fabric will hang out over the farthest points--her nipples. :U

There's a recess between her breasts but I'm not sure how tight the fabric is up there (Otherwise would does it stay over her chest?...) so I can't really gauge how 'straight' those wrinkles would be. They'd be straighter if the fabric were tighter and more loose if the fabric were loose. : D I'm guessing they aren't too tight since otherwise I suppose the supple flesh would be shifted about a little. Simply my take on clothing~ : D

Great work on folds otherwise~ It's really bringing out the form~
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:51 pm

thanks for the feed back! I really appreciate it, and will post new things soon.

@ Folken_Schezar
I love the critique, but can you please use pictures or simple words instead of scientific terms. I appreciate the feedback, but I would enjoy it more if I didn't need to find a book every time you gave me some sweatdrop

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm

i hope this is better

User Image

if anything is unclear let me know (i.e. my handwriting)

and sorry for the all the technical terms and stuff. its just how we refer to anatomy even as artist. you just get used to it and it totally slipped my mind
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:15 am

lol looking at the picture I do not need any writing, I'm better at learning visually than from reading when it comes to art, when I get how to draw book, I usually only look at the pictures. thanks BTW ^^

*Edit
Okay, I'm gonna start getting busy here soon, I volunteer a lot and have to do stuff this weekend. I also am buying a house so I have paperwork and stuff, and last but not least my wedding is around the corner.

I'll try my best to keep posting, but I maybe posting animals for a while instead of people.

**Edit
Here's the sketch of my new up coming piece. Thought you guys would be curious of how I draw so yeah ^^;
User Image

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Just double posting so people know I posted new art ^^;
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:37 pm

User Image

User Image

For the sake of all this making sense, I'm just gonna link to some tutorials of wings on dA. :U

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Birds-part-1-22106533
http://windfalcon.deviantart.com/art/Wing-Tutorial-7915972

There are some tutorials there on putting animal anatomies together as well; I'll see if I can dig em up for you again. In the meantime, I'm sure someone has linked something in the main tut-thread. :U

Morrosseth

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:22 pm

not to tear your advice down morro, cause you did give some very good points. but this is a fantasy creature. double shoulder sockets don't exist for a reason and for a creature like this to fly the pec muscles would be totally massive(look at the chicken its like 85% breast and doesn't fly). but then again the in theory the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly but it does (mass versus wing span).

just some anatomy info for the both of ya

and i don;t blame you morro i was kinda thinking the same thing when i 1st saw it but mostly about the chest muscles. i guess i'm too much of an anatomy geek

anywho keep up the good work guy i like all the great stuff you both have been doing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:12 pm

oh this is a reference pic, sorry I didn't mention earlier 0.o that is the back side of the wing, not the front, I know all about wing muscle anatomy (friend actually trusted her to design a tattoo based on the muscly wings)
I suck as feather, I know sweatdrop I lost my pacience with them, like I said before just a sektch, and the creatue is based off of real animals

Head - Deer/Canine
Ears - Deer/Lynx
Mane - Elk
Body - Deer/Canine/Feline
Forelegs - human arms/Feline/Deer
Hind legs - Feline/Canine

I hope this helps on giving me advise -feels overwhelmed by the attention of the wing-

P.S. I know the wings are too small for flight, they are just there for decoration. Size isn't what I am worried about, I never drew the back of a wing before, I want to know how to overlap the feather, less detail the better to it makes it easier to color and gives freedom for shading.

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Alright, just thought I'd give a little update, here is my current WIP, I decided to try something new with shading and making the mane, you guys tell me if it looks better! and to tell you again WORK IN PROGRESS!!, I still have a few things I need to draw, and color, and shade XD oh yeah FYI, this picture and the one I posted before it are the same character as the humanoid I posted on the front page. She is a character from a book me and my Fiance are writing together.

User Image
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:59 pm

I finally have a finished product ^^; an art trade with someone on DA, supposed to be chibi zebra people , I'm not gonna redraw it, but I would love to know what you guys think about my shading techniques, and anything else you have to offer.
User Image

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Okay I noticed no one is posting so I just want to let everyone know the kind of style I really want to do.

I want to draw cartoons, whether it is anime, or disney style, not crappy cartoons mind you, I want to draw the styles of persay

Princess Mononoke
Lion King
Inuyasha
Balto

I want to draw the cartoons, that look semi realistic in a way, because I dream of making a story of mine into an animated film, even if I have to do it on my own and use friends as voice actors, that is my dream.

sure I love to color in a realistic way, but I love to draw in a cartoon style. I wouldn't mind learning how to make fantasy creatures look as if they are real, but it is more important for me to learn a less realistic genre, I hope that helps with the critique!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Here is a little something I enjoy to do in my free time, Photo manipulation, It is a bit light in this one.

I would really just like to be graded on my air brushing of skin, BTW this is a photo of myself.

User Image

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 pm

W00t! You guys probably thought I died, but I think I may have finally cured my art rut. This is Raeyu again, but with a twist, I have been roleplaying an Inuyasha Fanfiction with a friend of mine and this is what Raeyu would look like human. Sooo Critique please ^-^ I prefer red lines because I'm `tarded and to not understand scientific terms.

User Image
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Here is something I rarely post because after a colored pencil work is down I cannot alter it, though critique on anatomy would be appreciated!

WARNING Slight Nudity!
Resting in the Forest

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Ooh, I gotta say, I love your style of working. :3 Good to know I'm not the only animal artist here, too.

I was gonna touch on the wings from an earlier post, but I think I'll leave that alone; you've prolly got enough info for that right now. x3
Your character's a fluffball; she's cute. ^^

I'm going to touch on your colored pencil work here. Overall there's a nice mastery of texture in the fur and hair, and on the scales. There's just a few areas that need a little work.
First thing that caught my eye were the ears. Their tips are uneven; as in, the one furthest from the viewer is higher than the one closer. It should be the reverse, if at all.
Where's her other eye? O.o I know it's hidden by her hair, but it's good practice to at least sketch it in and then hide what won't be seen later.
Her visible elbow looks a little out of whack, as well. I think I can see what you were going for, but it's made her humerus (upper arm) very short as a result. No need to make the bump that connects the upper and lower arms so pronounced, either. It's a very smooth transition, except in emaciated people, and she by no means looks all that anorexic. It smoothly widens at the elbow before tapering down to the wrist; which, by the way, should have just a little more thickness to it, in my opinion. >w<

Her legs are what got me next. But without knowing what they look like fully extended, I'm just going to treat them as standard digitigrade (walking on the toes) legs without regard to any difference in lengths from standard digitigrade. ^^;
In that pose, we should be able to see her lower right leg just a little bit as it goes from the ankle to the toes. What we can see makes her legs look rather short. In fact, I would almost think that pose painful, unless she's just about to stand up and has one foot under her already. This is hard to explain in words for me; I could draw it better than I could explain it. ^^;

But overall, I gotta say you've got a nice style in the works. :3 And if you ever need any help with your animal stuff, give me a holler and I'll see what I can do to help you. I'm pretty into a toony semi-realistic style, myself. Man, I envy your human faces. x3 I can't do them to my satisfaction at all.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff