Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
MeaShayShay's art (Need a bit of help here...) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Penlink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:24 am

Folken_Schezar
i'm gonna have to disagree with you pyro arm and shoulders are fairly independent of each in the side to side movement. and besides the arm seems to more pulled then as if of his one volition.

since its more of a wip i won't get into the details

but the pelvis should slant more while in that kind of backwards lean stance

his left leg should be the weight bearing leg and the right should be up on the toes. or if his foot is supposed to be flat it should be similar but with a slighter angle and more lumbar curve

well at least I tried... xp
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:34 am

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

OK, so pointers!

I think anime characters can be drawn with out a poopload of things added to there feet (look at pokemon) but you do need ankles still!

As for the drawing, I redlined to show you what the girl would look like (considering, I think she was afraid and he was guarding her?) So her shoulders should be a bit more up near her face, as if shes still protecting herself.
when you hold yourself in a ball or are blocking from someone beating on you, your shoulders go up as a reaction!

Emotion is another key thing in drawing, its what makes our pictures have meaning (by conveying an emotion)
So practice emotions, watch animes and then pause it and kinda draw what you see.
I showed two examples and redlined her face.

Pleated skirts were so hard for me to draw when I first started drawing anime, but you can't fear them! You just gotta look up tutorials, and sometimes real life photos and simplify. I redlined to show you an example of a simple pleated skirt. (same style on The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Legs and feet are also pretty hard to draw, but your doing a pretty good job from where your style stands! Just remember to draw legs first, then softly sketch leg warmers and over them so you know where folds and depth go : )

Feet is something you will wanna practice all on its own, just start sketching feet, stare at your feet and draw them anime style.
Its kinda fun : ) as long as you approach it with an upbeat attitude.

Crotch lines are the sexiest thing any person can have (At least in my opinion ;D LOL) So don't be afraid to make your boy endowed a little. His pants look like there bell-bottoms, so its gonna be tight near his waist. Pronounce it just a bit, it shows some movement and action going on (not in the sexual way you gutter brains D: )

You know that girls have more petite body structures then boys (as I can see that since you drew the neck proportionately! Kudos!) But boys faces are more masculine (even bishoujo boys have male features. . . unless if there loli-shota D: Then its all up in the air from there ) So wider mouths and kinda bigger noses (which you did well on his nose : ) good job) Remember to draw lines where the eyes should be, and don't be afraid to mess up and fix it, its a sketch and you want your sketch to be near perfect so when you ink you don't have to make so many drastic changes. Ears are near level to the eyes, so after you draw the eyes, place the ears very close to the same level as the eyes. They are your guidelines for ears : ). I'd time a day and just put up a section in the Art Freebies and drew all male avatars faces, that way you could get a better grasp on anatomy of the face (which is sooo hard, I know girl.)

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to message me : )
Good luck.♥

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 am

well lee tbh i'd be careful about wide mouths and certain types of facial features. i'm not saying you're wrong, i do agree with you in this case. its just that the face can tell us alot about the characters personality and age

wide mouths for example gives the impression that the person has a wild personality and doesn't care about minor details or things.

tho this character looks to be that type. i just thought you should know and maybe it would be something good for you to look into and learn more about
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:50 am

Folken; Thats true, but general anime males have a wider mouth then there female counterparts.
I hope it didn't come off that I was trying to say to give them all super wide mouths D:

most male anime characters have this cliche;
Larger eyebrows/not so dainty
Less doll like eyes.
Larger noses.
Wider mouths.

I'm not saying they need to be huge though D:

It's just not as easy to pass off a male with a small mouth that isn't a child.

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Penlink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 am

As much as I want to see Folken and Sheji talk about faces and personalities, it's one in the morning for me, so this will be quick.

There's one more thing that I want to add with the emotions. When you're drawing emotions of any kind, just think of the smiley face guy. I know that this doesn't seem like much, but if you can draw those simple lines from a smiley face then you could apply them to your own drawings. Although you would have to find out how the facial muscles work depending on how complex the thing is.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:36 am

haha yes lee i understand that but it just your advice was very general and i felt that it could have used some clarification. its jut that there are just about infinite combination's that can be made and with a little specifics you can give a better understanding of the information. better to err on the safe side right?

and yes most male anime characters look that way cause they fall into that archetype.

personally i come from the school of thought of understanding the reason behind it. i think it brings a greater understanding of not just art but other things in life as well

as for the face muscles you don't necessarily need to understand the muscles behind it to make a good expression. there are 4 muscle groups that control the mouth, one for the eye, one for the brow and one for the cheeks. not so very complex

Folken_Schezar
Crew

SageMinto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 am

Thank you everybody!!
I didn't expect so much feedback!! eek

Okay so I still haven't gotten a handle on the feet yet, so I'll keep working on that. Dx
I need some magazines with male models..anyone know any? If not could I use my manga collection help some with the male anatomy?

btw thanks for the relined outline for the the different parts, it helps.

One problem though...
But the expression on the guy and gal isn't right. xD
He's suppose to be this calm and serious guy(what happened to his goatee ? O_O)
I mimicked him from one of my favorite actors who shares that personality(Michael Ealy if you guys want to look it up).

The girl on the other hand is suppose to be in love with him and want him to be hers but can't.

I understand what you mean by conveying the emotions better though.
Thank you guys for the lovely tips!!
I'll start sketching something new!!
(Maybe even update this pic).
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:15 pm

haha okay well now that i know about thats going on i n the pic here is my take on it
User Image

i went ahead and drew the eyes in the more correct position
i think the main problem for micheal was that he had very sad eyes. with changing that and giving him a slightly furrowed brow and a slightly larger mouth with a corner frown i think achieves the personality look you might want

there wasn't much of the girls face but giving her the upward inner eyebrow i think conveys the feeling of longing

also i gave him a goatee on what i think you kinda had in there. correct me if i'm wrong
^_^ hope that helps

@pyro no worries bro you'll get the hang of it man. remember its all about milage

Folken_Schezar
Crew

SageMinto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks
Sorry i haven't been here in awhile. I was part of a summer program, and it finally ended so I'll be back with regualr postings.

I have a picture in mind to post here, so I'll be looking for it or just draw a new one.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Finally I post!!
Here is some fanart;
Sailor Neptune from Sailormoon
(Not quite finished though)
User Image

I had to go back to the basics for my art lately. like drawing the mannequin for poses, and taking my time with certain parts.
I'll continue on it, but first I would love a little feedback ion it. wink

SageMinto

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:21 pm

The left arm is way to short
I cant figure out were the knee is
The head is to big
You put just a little to many lines in the hair
The right wrist need to be at a more natural angle it s turned a little to sharply downward

hope that helped smile
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces