Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Cirenes || [ closed; too busy ] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eina-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:38 am
Here's something I did quickly right now ? o3o
User Image

I was kind of inspired, and I'm hoping it's not that bad.
The red things were the laser things that gaia has x_x;
I couldn't remember how it looked like and my comp was lagging OTL

It's a WIP, I suppose,
but I was bored so I coloured it in.
But the lineart/sketchiness is another layer,
so I can always edit it :3  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:46 pm
Ooh, she looks pretty cool! biggrin
So, how do you feel about it? What do you like/dislike? What do you personally think you did well, and what do you think needs work? :]

It seems that most of my pointers from your first WIP apply here as well, so please refer to those comments for advice on sketchy lines, face alignment, and whatnot. ^^

I also suggest that you try using guidelines like these --> [Example] because it appears that you're sketching your faces freehand. It's a lot harder to place facial features without guidelines.. ^^;  

Cirenes

Eina-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:07 am
Well, I have a question. >w<
Every time I sketch it out (like, the shapes and all)
the face always goes wrong. Is there a tip for me to keep it focused and to keep the features on the face steady in the correct position, but to have the shape of the head (cheekbones and chin, ears, etc) to look normal on it too? Because when I draw with those sketches, the face looks funny. x_X

& is it that obvious it was freehand? XD
Thank you again!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:51 am
Hmm, would you mind drawing me a face with the guidelines method and showing it to me with the guidelines visible? I think I can much better address the problem if I can see it. ^^

Hehe, kind of. xD
No prob, glad to help! ^^  

Cirenes

Eina-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:09 pm
I hope I am learning properly.

User Image
I'm a bad student. XDD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 pm
I think you're getting better! The body looks fine to me. :>
Here are my comments and whatnot~ one little nitpick I forgot to write in there: I think her left cheek could be moved up a tad. xD
User Image

It seems that you're drawing in most of the head freehand, and using up the entire outline-circle for the face. This might make it hard to position the head. I personally use only part of the circle for the face, so the rest can stand alone as the head. ^^

Here's an example. (I usually don't go too detailed with the eye proportions because I'm lazy, but it certainly helps to get the right size and position.)
User Image
^ lazy 10 min sketch

User Image
^ outlines, pointers... hope you can read my awful handwriting. ^^;

Here's some extra stuff just to emphasize. The red lining = head.
User Image
And a human skull to put things into perspective. xD

Hope that helps, somewhat. Haha.. xD  

Cirenes

Eina-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:11 am
Would it be "cheating" if I were to use the outline of yours, and practice from it? owo;
& Sorry for inactiveness ;w; My grad is today, and I've been preparing.
And also because Friday was my dance and I had to practice for that.

Sorry,  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:43 pm
Sure, go ahead and practice with it~ :> Soon enough you'll be able to make the outline on your own, lol.

And no prob, I totally understand. I'm out of school because I'm in college but I realize high school drags on into late June. ^^;

Hmm... I'm not sure if I'll be able to consistently tutor people for the time I'm in Japan, but I'll try, I guess. :3  

Cirenes

Cirenes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:43 am
Haha, Missing In Action? I guess I can take a hiatus while I'm over there. It doesn't seem that this tutoring business is that much work though, so I might be able to squeeze it in. :]

Ah, this is my college freshman summer, supposedly the one summer you have free before you're too busy with internships and jobs to do anything you like. ;u; So I'm goin' back to my homeland, hehe.

*u* Wah, she's so cute! <33
Your lines have certainly gotten crisper and cleaner. Good job! >wThe body looks good-- my only small nitpick would be that her right shoulder could be shifted left just a bit, so that both shoulders look more like they're on the same level. :]

Hehe, do you think the outline I gave you helped? I kind of suck at proportions myself, and usually end up editing the facial proportions manually until they look decent. ^^;

For your purposes, I think it might help if you visualize a more circular rather than oval shape for the overall head. Of course the face should be decently oval (after all, the chin sticks out a bit). I just think that it'd look even better if there was more emphasis on the head's circular-ish shape. ^^
Another thing I should mention since my outline is awful-- the left, sort-of-hidden eye doesn't have to be that much smaller than the fully-shown eye in a 3/4 shot. I think the left eye could be a bit bigger, just not as big as the right eye. :] But of course, that's just my take on anime eyes. xD

Here's my last set of "edits."
The left is my version, and the right shows how I simply moved some pieces of the image in the directions shown.
User Image

Hope this helps! ^^ I do hope you found this mentoring business fun and useful! <33
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :]

Hm, I guess I'll open this up for a new mentee now. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 am

oh, it was really fun! n_n
                now i have something to do,
                and that's practicing with the head XD

Eina-chan

Elsiane

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm
Hi there, I would love to apply surprised I am just going to follow Eina-chan's format.
Name: Elsiane
Samples:
User Image User Image User Image User Image
realism/semi-realism - I tend to do this sort of thing instead of anime:
User Image User Image
gosh i fluctuate so much, i wouldn't even recognise them all as my own if I didn't know already xD.
Years of experience: hmm. 8? 10? But it has all been realism, and I have been relatively isolated artistically until about a year ago.
What to improve on: I adore your style and have always aspired to this sort of style: my weaknesses are lineart, folds, hair, basically everything you mention! But all these are weak points for me because realism usually gives you something completely different from anime (eg hair.). and actually I fluctuate unpredictably between styles, and often produce an unclear, mixed style. I would love to have a mentor who could channel my anime attempts more formatively! I work in SAI as well, but also GIMP.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 pm
User Image

▐║n▐║e▐║0▐║h▐║m▐║I▐║e▐║

✖✖✖_.......
Name:neoh-mie
Samples: ::ART 1::ART 2::ART 3 ::
Years of experience:i started to know that i can draw when i was in the 2nd grade but i never had real education on arts..hmm..then i begin drawing stuffs again a year ago or so in gaia..
What you want to learn/improve on: linearts..coloring..hmm..chibi and anime' style first...hmm...but i do want to learn semi-realism too..^^
......._✖✖✖

User Image

Miku Yukii

Sparkly Lunatic

8,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Generous 100

Cirenes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:24 am
@Eina-chan: Great, enjoy~! <3

--

Elsiane, if you'd like, I'll be your mentor for a month. :] I'm not sure how we're going to make the transition from realism to anime (to be honest I don't know the first thing about realism! xD) but since you have experience drawing people in general, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you'd like, please show me an anime-style WIP, and we can start from there. ^^

neoh-miE, your art is adorable! It seems that you only draw chibis, though, and I'm afraid that might be a little difficult for me to work from. What I teach is intermediate anime-style art with regular anime proportions, etc... and without relatively strong base knowledge in regularly proportioned people, it's hard for me to help you. ^^; Thanks for your interest, though! <3  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:03 pm
Cirenes
@Eina-chan: Great, enjoy~! <3

--

Elsiane, if you'd like, I'll be your mentor for a month. :] I'm not sure how we're going to make the transition from realism to anime (to be honest I don't know the first thing about realism! xD) but since you have experience drawing people in general, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you'd like, please show me an anime-style WIP, and we can start from there. ^^

neoh-miE, your art is adorable! It seems that you only draw chibis, though, and I'm afraid that might be a little difficult for me to work from. What I teach is intermediate anime-style art with regular anime proportions, etc... and without relatively strong base knowledge in regularly proportioned people, it's hard for me to help you. ^^; Thanks for your interest, though! <3

no problem..^-^  

Miku Yukii

Sparkly Lunatic

8,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Generous 100
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash