Dapper Bibliophile

27,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 am
Frogr1701
Thoughts on the new Star Trek movie: "DAMN that was good!"

I was very skeptical when I first heard about the story but on Friday I went in with a completely open mind and found that I really did like the "changes". I felt it stayed very much faithful to the original series with subtle and obvious things here and there. Sure it had many extreme moments but I thought they were put together well. I really do think it's brought in a whole new wave of fans into the fray.

In white:
The romantic part I was completely fine with. To me it just worked and made sense in a strange and good sort of way.

I won't go into more detail for now, but as long as we're clear that this is a 1 in a billion different universes, it was 100% canon from that universe's perspective. It's another universe to build on and I can't wait to see how many more movies will come out of this.

Exactly! Everything you said I agree with, 100%. [You're far more articulate than I, and I thank you for it wink ]  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 am
As sci-fi and Star Trek... I loved the movie. As TOS... I had some problems with some things...

I think the actors did a fantastic job. It can't have been easy to take over some of the most legendary characters i TV-history. Abrams did also a fantastic job although you could see some references to his TV-shows like LOST and Alias. And the story was interesting.

Since I don't want to spoil things, I'm not going to tell what with the movie I had a problem with.  

Sweetycow

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 am
Yeah I admit there are a couple of things in the movie that had problems as well like for instance:

Checkov didn't join the enterprise until the second season of TOS, so why is he in this movie?

I don't think that ^ counts as a spoiler b.c. we already knew he was gonna be in the movie  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:02 pm
It's pretty damn epic cool !  

The Angry Therapist

Frogr1701

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:34 am
SuperCrazyChocolate
Yeah I admit there are a couple of things in the movie that had problems as well like for instance:

Checkov didn't join the enterprise until the second season of TOS, so why is he in this movie?

I don't think that ^ counts as a spoiler b.c. we already knew he was gonna be in the movie

The best way to answer this (and many questions about that) I've found is this:

The event that take place at the beginning of the movie alters the circumstances of how these individuals eventually came together to serve on board the Enterprise. If you want the real history just go watch the Original Series.

You can quote me on that wink  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:27 am
There were some things that the alternate reality excuse cannot excuse.
The technology was disrespectful towards TOS, and the 'CARDASSIAN SUNRISE' drink? Noo, not on Earth at that time.
I thought the plot was interesting, but it wasn't Star Trek. JJ Abrahms may be a good director, but he should've devoted more time to Roddenberry's vision.

I saw it on the 7th May, and I can't help but say that I was disappointed.

:'D
ilovecomments

-[.Moo.]-

vegito61283

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:27 am
-[.Moo.]-
There were some things that the alternate reality excuse cannot excuse.
The technology was disrespectful towards TOS, and the 'CARDASSIAN SUNRISE' drink? Noo, not on Earth at that time.
I thought the plot was interesting, but it wasn't Star Trek. JJ Abrahms may be a good director, but he should've devoted more time to Roddenberry's vision.

I saw it on the 7th May, and I can't help but say that I was disappointed.

ilovecomments

Right here I can tell you that you should not be dissapointed and that the only reason why you are so dissapointed is because you are not being open minded. This whole venture is an update of what Roddenberry wanted. Plus you have to remember that back when Roddenberry did TOS, he was trying to show that there is no reason for anyone to have to have hostility among them and that it does not matter who you are or what you look like or even the color of your skin. Everyone is equal. We do not have that these days. So he had to take a bit of a different approach. He took the approach that Roddenberry took when he realized the times had changed in the latter parts of TOS series the TNG series. So he was faithful to what Roddenberry had visioned. And while yes there were aspects that seemed to be derived and influenced by Lost, Cloverfield (the monster on the ice planet resembled that monster in the movie cloverfield) and even Star Wars, Abrahms never denied that he was influenced and even injected some of them influences in this movie. I mean, come on. Think about it here, the shuttles in that movie had the design markings and resemblances of what was in star wars. But it all went to make a good movie into probably one of the better blockbusters ever to come out of hollywood. As of right now it has grossed 209.5 million in domestic markets and over 301.5 million world wide. It was only been out for about 4 weeks and looks to still be going decently and probably will be out for another 3 to 4 weeks. That may be enough to push the domestic just over 300 million and worldwide to just over 400.5 million That is a huge achievement due to all the poor movies from star trek still pretty fresh in the minds of all fans and public.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:31 am
Oh, and one other thing, if you think I am not a purist in Star Trek, you are sorely mistaken. I am a huge purist and I did go into that movie dissapointed until I realized that with the Romulans and Spock going back in time, they have changed everything creating an alternate universe and therefore the writers and creative staffs are able to start thinking alternate creative steps for the increasingly possible new Star Trek series and upcoming movies. And if you look at any post I have put in this guild, you will see I am very knowledgable and probably moreso than most.  

vegito61283

-[.Moo.]-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 am
No amount of justifying and showing off will change my mind, I'm afraid.
I think I'm pretty open minded, but I will admit to being stubborn. I hold grudges on the silliest of things (but funnily enough, not with people)

ilovecomments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:36 pm
-[.Moo.]-
No amount of justifying and showing off will change my mind, I'm afraid.
I think I'm pretty open minded, but I will admit to being stubborn. I hold grudges on the silliest of things (but funnily enough, not with people)

ilovecomments

LOL. Well why dont you do what you do with people in terms of not holding grudges on silly things and see the movie again. It should work for that. Hopefully.  

vegito61283

Son Of No Man

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm
I just watched the new movie and holy s**t!!!! It was amazing!

I had some doubts at first but I think that even with the alternate reality bit, the movie still held true to TOS style.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 am
Just saw it again last night, my fourth time (I work at a movie theater, so free movies!). It still has the power to make me unbelievably happy.  

Elle Lyn

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:58 am
There were things I had to ignore. I had a problem with the Cardassian Sunrise thing that was brought up.... And I felt like a geek for taking an issue with it, and remembered that with any adaptation, I have to accept the movie on it's own terms.... Then again, this is an established universe.

But then again, this is a tangent universe. Again, something that annoyed me because Time Travel never worked that way in Star Trek. But then I remembered in the original series they were flying at "Warp 14" in the episode "That Which Survives" despite the limits of warp drive....

And the Vulcan Bullies were just plain annoying.

The movie then got good. Real good. All they had to do was say "Bones" and magically it became good. Really good. So good it had a sexy green skinned woman. Really, that along gives it two of the three and a half stars I gave it.

Pretty much, it became the great Space Opera I've been waiting for. Is it the best Star Trek movie? Oh, God, no. But it's definitely a movie that does that one thing you want a movie to do: Trap you. You get so wrapped up in this sense of a awe and wonder, and it blows you away.

Did I wish they were a little bit closer to classic Trek? Yes, of course. But I don't mind what they did. I thought the actors were near perfect. They weren't the characters yet you could see them growing into the characters over time. Karl Urban really blew me away, and Simon Pegg did much better than I thought (I figured they just wanted somebody else with pull amongst geeks.... They made a good choice, though).

Ultimately, the one thing I want from it is some sort of insight. Star Trek has always rooted itself in commentary and satire. And I don't mean preachy "Half Black Half White" Aliens again. But the director seemed to think that any sort of statement at all would be preachy... They had the makings of a great statement about friendship and brotherhood that they never brought out because Abrams was too timid.

And can we really say no to beautiful green skinned women?  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff