Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
[--M.o.r.r.o's S.c.r.i.b.b.l.e.s--] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Morrosseth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 pm

User Image

A header I made for an private RP forum my friend and I are creating. S'a historical spin-off in which Western Canada becomes a Soviet state during the Cold War.

I like it personally, but I think there are to many things that don't 'flow', mainly because of people's hair colours and the two really light coloured people in the centre. I'm not sure if it just sort of... Throws it off. I wanted it semi-flat, but if I leave the white flat, it becomes BLARING. Ew. D:

I dunno. I guess that can't be helped if there's character accuracy here? Hmph hmph.

But what'd you think of the layout and design and...stuff? :3

Original's 1800x1000 without all the photoshop designs and with a transparent background. The above is actually transparent; but the stripes are hard to see without a backing. That reddish purple is the actual background of the forum.

[--FULL RES--]
[--This is what is looks like on the Forum~--]

I didn't make the CSS sheets and crap for the forum though. All I did was fiddle around with the coding to get rid of some annoying, blaring orange bars and change it so that there's nothing between the header and the main 'tables'...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:32 pm

... Hrm. Bumped up it is. :U Tis is a WIP:

User Image

[Full Res --> 1400x1400]

Anatomy and foreshortening/perspective. D: Anything look off?

Morrosseth

Morrosseth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:57 am

User Image

I sort of... Finished it. Hi. 8D;; Yeahhhh.... -talks to self here- orz;;

But really. Anatomy good? Perspective good? D: Do these poses look plausible? Motion wise?

Anyone? xDDD Oh dear.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:00 am

from a mentee to a mentee, here is my input

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*Put EMPHASIS on hermies thumb, as he's exerting force to block so his hand shouldn't look like its ready to cave (we'll call the guy from behind, hermies) - unless of course he loses the battle?

*Arms don't usually naturally bend hermies way like that when exerting pressure, maybe when getting ready to grab something from the pantry, but not in this case

*Brings us to our next point, if you bent his body more forward, then it'd look more like he was kind of of falling back but guarding at the same time?

I did a piss-poor job on fixing the arm, so don't mind that so much. . .
LOLOLLOL.

*There's an awkwardness about his head I tried to fix, but I don't know if I did a great job or if the arm just made it look awkward.

Next up, Raquel.

*When you clench your fist, and you take a picture from a lower perspective, your forearm looks massive, and thats why it needs more emphasis and overall "muscle" added to it.

*Raquel's other arm that is not in battle has no real muscle added to it, but arms that are folded up close are a bit larger-
In your finished picture it looks pretty good because its clothed.
But for future references, don't be afraid to make the arms a little bit more fatter/muscular because they are being squished together, so to say.

*When I first started doing perspective and foreshortening, calves were always the SOB of them all.
Just make them cylinders, then kinda shape them.
Either way, your off to a pretty good start, but I redlined them a bit differently from yours.

*Raquel's legs are a little long (which I did not change), anime/manga style is not the same as anatomy, but I would just spend a day drawing regular human legs and comparing it to torso's and heads.
Points though because the Femur is the longest bone in your body.
<3

About the finished picture.

*NEVER EVER USE TOTAL BLACK DEAR! Its a nono D:
Some artists do it as a style, but when cell-shading or painting, you should use a dark-dark grey or an off shade of black.

In your picture it goes right in to the background, so it looks like he's fading in to the night sky.

*Your light sources are a little sporadic (which isn't insanely bad, honestly everyone does it most of the time) but I'd of looked up some pictures of anime characters in the dark so you'd get a good idea on how to color.

*The lights coming from the friction of the two swords should be more around his arm since the light specks go out farther.

What I like;

<3; You have a pretty good idea on angles, especially one from behind.

<3; You aren't afraid to use multiple characters and created a pretty dynamic scene.

<3; Your background is pretty nice, the sky looks good and you could do grass blades (which takes an uber-super long time, so kudos <3)

<3; weapon drawing can be kinda hard, so I liked your effort on drawing weapons and taking the time to make them look like they are in the characters hands : )

<3; The cynical emotion on Raquel's face is very nice, it shows his anger and insane-happiness that he will probably win the battle

You did pretty good overall, just keep practicing : )

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:48 am

quickly glancing over your newest pic i see you anatomical problems

both are with the attacking guy in black.

minor problem 1st
his left foot isn't quite the right angle. it looks as if he broke his ankle

well with the right hand i'm not sure what i'm looking at. is he holding the sword normally? or is it inverse draw?

also the way he's holding the sword is kinda of weird. the hand guard should be covering the knuckle side of the fingers.

i hope that makes sense

also be more mindful of your shadows. the guy in red's right shoulder pad shouldn't be highlighted in that way if the light source is coming from what seems to be the left side. also his, same, arm shouldn't have a highlight on the right side

other then that it looks really good. good job man
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:01 am

@ Sheji: ... I love you forever. biggrin DD

Okayyy, looking back I realized I also coloured the wrong thing for 'Hermies' ear... ...Wow, maybe I shouldn't have sit here for hours on end... Your take on him's certainly better... I kept thinking the arm was funny but dismissed it as 'it looks like it's gonna snap in two from the pressure'. >__>;; And yeah, the head's better from that angle. :3 Even now I'm debating Raquel's stance. Derp derp~ Oh foreshortening...

As for the black, the funny thing is, I'm lazy. I was in Sai hoping I could change it (found a way to like 7 hours later) then finding out I couldn't colourize it. LOLFAIL. I guess I could save it as a PSD and do that all in Photoshop. o3o And lighting.... Er. Also lazy me. I drew this with higher saturation and standard stuff then sort of messed with it as soon as I thought 'let's make it night'. |D;; But yeah, lighting's strange in some places. Sparks bit is interesting. o3o I'll have to look that up some more...

@ Folken:

... His ankle looks painful once you point it out. xDDD

I wish I could answer the technical questions, but I know next to nothing about sword fighting. I'm in archer. orz;; Which is probably one of the problems here. -runs off to Google-

Thank you allll~

Morrosseth

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Morroseth;
ily2 <3

Oh gosh girl, you are fine : ) Practice makes perfect (or pretty darn close D: ) Well you still have the sketch, and you can always use the one you colored as a general outline (unless if your like me and never ever look back on a drawing D: LOLOL)
Raquel was not so bad, you did pretty good on him darling. You just gotta keep practicing~ :3 <3

Its ok to be lazy /sometimes/ and in this case, it was : ) you knew your mistakes, which is always the first in learning! So you learned more which is always good my dear <3

Anything to help, I remember when I first started to want to do foreshortening and had to teach myself gonk
Now I just wanna make it easier for everyone else <3
2 1/2 years later. . .
LOL.

If you ever need help, never be afraid to message me.
I'm always here to give my opinion ;D //annoying as it can get.

I'll be back to check on your thread every once in a while to see how your art is doing <3
Keep up on drawing! : )
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:16 pm

Whooo, here I go again~

User Image

Arghhhh, drawing avvies is always a pain in the arse... Anatomy fail here? Composition fail? D: Am I the only one who thinks everything is bloody blending together?

Kay, so this is a commission I did for a friend of a friend of mine. For the sake of not sounding like a complete moron, I'm not gonna list the specifics of this exchange but... Like. Generally, in Gaia exchanges and art stores/whatever... How much would one generally get for something like this? O_o;;

Morrosseth

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces