Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Rose Koneko's Power of Random| Did I color this right? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Thank you~ xD Yeah, I was rather proud of the tail... it was completely on accident, though. (WOOT for happy accidents.)

Okay guys....

I did NOT draw this, my former shop mate did. I'm still not all that great at.... well, everything, but what I need to know is if I celshaded this correctly. (Chieira sketched it, I did the lineart, the coloring, and the background.)

User Image

....Is the face over shadowed? =/
Since this process takes incredibly LESS time, I'd like to get it down right, but I have no way of knowing if I am. xD So, did I?
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:39 am

Here you have your light going on different directions. You did mostly keep to one direction of light, and that's good. Only your ground shadow really seems to have a different direction.

To keep it simple, for this image, what you're missing is cast shadows. Your cast shadows are dark and crisp, unlike the more blended (lighter for cell shading) levels of shade. Look for places where something blocks light from something else and make those shadows darkest.

Look at how the light is all even. Follow that direction from your object casting the shadow to the ground and you'll see about where you shadow would be.

User Image

Please see the post on light and value.

Lighting a figure is pretty much just putting together what you know about lighting simple shapes. (Mostly cylinders and spheres.) I would practice shading the simple shapes first. (You can do it with hard steps like cell shading and then reduce the steps until you have the 3 steps you have here. This will help you learn how to place the shades in the correct patterns going forward.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:53 am

Aaah, true. Backgrounds are still not my forte, since I don't usually do them, and I've become lazy. =3

Thanks for the link and the visual aid. >w< I learn a lot quicker that way, and the next piece I colored for my friend had your help in mind.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff