Reply The Music Artists Guild
SINGING vs. SONGWRITING Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wicked_Luck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:43 pm
I think it takes talent for both. Music is a form of poetry. If you're good with words then you have what it takes to write a great song!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 am
Wicked_Luck
I think it takes talent for both. Music is a form of poetry. If you're good with words then you have what it takes to write a great song!

Then you have what it takes to write great lyrics! smile
I mean, writing music is different from writing lyrics, right? At least, that's how I experience it...  

Ferrum Sanctus

LunarSupernovan_Yuna

No Winner

33,650 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • 10000 High Score 300
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:04 pm
I do believe that it takes more talent to be a good song writer. I only say this because, yes it is true that any 14 year old could make a couple of rhymes and call it a song, but that doesn't make them a GOOD song writer. Even if the worst singer sang the best lyrics that made sense and made people nod their heads in agreement, they wouldn't care how bad they sing, they would care about the words that they preached. If a good singer sang a song that made no sense or was very prejudiced, racist etc. nobody would want to listen to their songs. As for the actual music LOL if there was a bunch of garbage can tops being clashed together and little kids yelling at the top of their lungs in the background, then even the best singer in the world would sound bad. (Clashing garbage can tops is called JUNK FUNK. Yelling kids are called noisy singing or 80's metal rock =P)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:20 pm
Singing is pretty hard- people who don't sing seriously don't really realize how much goes through our heads when we sing. i really do believe songwriting takes a little more, though.  

cindylouwho101

xxkakenutsxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:38 am
cindylouwho101
Singing is pretty hard- people who don't sing seriously don't really realize how much goes through our heads when we sing. i really do believe songwriting takes a little more, though.
Exactly! In my opinion, it takes a genious to sing. There are no fingerings just the way you manipulate your body.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:32 pm
i hate it when people write a song in a class for school or something and they call themselves songwriters. they are so not songwriters!! trust me im a songwriter and its hard sometimes. i also sing so i kno that both can be equally hard but songwriting is usually a little harder, but if u put ur heart into it and really try they can seem easy to u. it really depends on the person. if u put ur heart into a song whether ur singing it or writing i say it takes talent to do both.  

Arc En Licorne

5,300 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:05 pm
Tempest29
On This Night
maui boy no ka oi
I personally think that to be a songwriter requires a lot more skill and creativity than being a singer unless you are an ad-lib rapper and just make up good songs on the spot like Snoop Dogg. Though singing may take more practice and repetitive tasks, the skill is really shown off in the song itself rather than the lyrics or voice.

i have to disagree. in a song the part that hits ppl most is the lyrics. its the meaning of the song that gives it power.

Indeed. I have to agree with you On This Night. The lyrics are what hits people the most in a good song. Pretty much rap is just non-scense talking. I mean, sure lots of people like it, but it's not one of my personal favourites out of all the genre's mainly for that single fact.
Nothing could be farther from the truth actually. Rappers are actually the most poetic songwriters out there ATM (with the exception of those s**t rappers like Solja Boi and Lil' Wayne). Here's a few lines from a rap song that I've heard:
"I'm addicted to the game like a needle in my vein.
I've never been the same I keep chasin' fame.
Radio stations with my tape and rotations
It's a fake simulation and I'm losin' my patience
Just another emulation from a nation filled with product
Records about murder we believe and we bought it."
All in all it's more of a rant as to how these "gangsta rappers" are giving the true artists a bad name by making s**t up and recording it because it makes them look "bad". It's also about the strife of a rapper who goes to school like you and me but gets his records taken, remixed, and distributed against his wishes and in previous lines attempts to describe what it's like to be a struggling musician in these times.
Here's the song for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KpcNw6Ughs  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:37 pm
Personally I'm a songwriter, but it depends on what you mean.
If you mean 'singer' as in someone who writes lyrics, then YES it's WAY harder.
But if you mean singer as in just someone who sings and doesn't write the lyrics, then I'd say it's easy.

I can't write lyrics at all... I always find my stuff to be either too simple, or not insightful enough, so I end up just leaving it without vocals.

I've made over twenty songs that are more than presentable, and none of them have lyrics because I'm too afraid I'd ruin the song by making crappy lyrics to it.  

Fenpex

StudioGilliam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:13 pm
ziggreen
I AM A SINGER BUT I REMEBER PEOPLE TELLING ME IT TAKES MORE TALENT TO BE A SONGWRITER, I PERSONALY DISAGREE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??????????

Everyone has their own opinions, I suppose.

I guess it all depends on the style of music that you sing. Punk music, for example is incredibly easy to sing because you don't need to know how to. You just kinda shout a bit.

Also, if the people who told you this aren't very good at writing lyrics or songs then I reckon that would have a lot to do with it. If they don't think it's easy they may not be very good at it!

Then again, I can't talk. I'm a terrible singer and a terrible songwriter!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 pm
i personally think that the best songs have very few rhymes. the melody is key. if your a songwriter is usually helps if you can sing too. Generally an amazing package  

Golddigga99

yanigurl95

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:05 am
Well, i write songs, but I wouldn't consider myself a "songwriter" persay.
But I do consider myself somewhat of a singer, even though I'm only 14.
Singing in itself is pretty complicated, and takes a lot of training, so I would think of it as hard for someone without the natural talent. But I could say the same for songwriting, omitting that you need training. I don't think songwriting is something you can "teach" someone, it's more like a skill you learn by experience. So I'd consider it much harder than singing.  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff