Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New To Polytheism: Seeking Advice, Please! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:40 pm
Leaf Worship
This response was very disheartening.
Perhaps you should reexamine the spirit it was intended then. If all you wanted was someone to pat you on the back and tell you how awesome it is that a deity broke their word to call you, you kinda came to the wrong place. I gave useful advice and I was direct and honest. If being direct and honest is something you have a problem with, then I would recommend making up your own path filled with thoughtforms where no one will ever be in a position to tell you you're wrong or challenge you.

Quote:

I asked because I was trying to understand and educate myself with the advice of people who understand more and are involved.
And it was given. I told you to use primary source texts, anthropological and archeological texts and to avoid the books designed to be Insta-neopaganism, just add autonomy search.
Quote:

You illustrate my ignorance by pointing out what I do not know and giving me nothing but what I already had with the addition of skepticism and an uncertainty in myself and my capabilities.
You illustrated your ignorance. I merely challenged your assumptions. And if you don't want skepticism, then you're in the wrong place. A healthy sense of questioning, testing and skepticism keeps a person from indulging Mr. Darks and being about as theologically sound as jello.

And you should doubt your "capabilities". A lack of doubt, the inability to pause and question is less a sign of religious conviction and more a sign of thoughtlessness or worse- delusion.

Quote:

I had hoped I would be reached and wanted.
Obviously my feelings cloud what is truth. I am certain it was excitement and misunderstanding on my part. Because there is no reason a goddess would break a vow to contact me.
Reasonable response.

Quote:
I think my path is ultimately my choice because I have free will, and I can actively decide to pursue a direction that I find. It is a path, in this instance, not my path...because I think that there are many ways to an end.
Free will doesn't dictate how others free will is expressed.

I'll give you some situations.
Scotty draws a knife on Will and steals his wallet.
Ben rapes Jenny.
Mama Susan picks the toddler Nicky up from having fallen off the rocking horse and kisses his booboos.
Karen wants more than anything to be Emma's friend, but Emma hates Karen.

If you can show me how the fact that Will, Jenny, Nicky and Emma have free will suddenly changes the dynamic in what is happening so that the actions of the others doesn't come to pass, you'll be a step closer to being omnipotent than any of us here.

You get to have free will. That doesn't mean that life has to give you what you desire.

Quote:

A sense of being 'cut from the same cloth' - bound before they were Earthbound. Past attachment from different lives. I feel this way. I did not read it in a book or find it on google.
Poe pretty much covered the affinity thing. Glad you were able to work though the concept more.

Quote:
I learned to balance my chakras and energies from a mentor and teacher. So, I suppose that books she has given me and her ideals would contribute to my knowledge.
Which books?

Quote:
You know what? I don't know it was Brighid,
Reasonable answer.
Quote:

and that is why I asked for help, and instead I am answering a questionaire of skepicism that is just proving to you what you concieved me to be when you typed it.
Why on earth would questioning you and helping you be mutually exclusive?

Make up your mind. Do you want your spiritual path to be handed to you on a silver platter or do you want to actually think and analyze your position so you can move forward?

Quote:
What is balance? Balance is a myriad of things... Balance is finding myself and losing myself at the same time to reach a sense of wholeness and belonging. Balance is clarity and stability. It is harmony and understanding. It is peace of mind by acceptance.
Poe has touched on this... but I'll add, peace often leads to stagnation. Ecstasy to longing. Being whole is often insulting- because in many times it could imply taking away what you have already given to another and if balance is clarity and stability, then how do you balance that with confusion and volatility?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:16 pm
Quote:
Make up your mind. Do you want your spiritual path to be handed to you on a silver platter or do you want to actually think and analyze your position so you can move forward?

Discovery and thought process does not have to be as bitter as your words imply. You can enjoy your journey and try to piece together what fits. It will take time and mistakes that I am willing to make and untrue beliefs I am willing to disregard (what you call thoughtform). Even if what I develop you think is wrong, it is still my own. Ultimately, we end up with the same thing; a belief system, a faith-filled theory. Even if what you have you feel is well-researched, crafted and adjusted as close to what you want as possible, what I have may bring me the same joy. Having such happiness shouldn't be wrong, even if it is thoughtless in your perspective.

You do not make me feel like embracing any sort of expansion. I think your methods of assistance are too abrasive for my taste. You do not have to be discouraging to get a message or viewpoint across to me.

I am not asking you to be nice to me or even talk to me. Ultimately, what I become and evolve into should not matter to you. I think it would be best to acknowledge your suggestion of research. I will look into primary sources and history for reference and decision-making, but such decisions should be made on my own without your input. Frankly, there's a difference between being a constructional skeptic and being unpleasant.  

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:30 pm
Leaf Worship
Discovery and thought process does not have to be as bitter as your words imply. You can enjoy your journey and try to piece together what fits. It will take time and mistakes that I am willing to make and untrue beliefs I am willing to disregard (what you call thoughtform).

I don't think Tea is being bitter though >.>
She is trying to help guide you without the sparkles and fluff.
Trust me, it's far better to get started on a good, solid base rather than having to wade through mounds of feel-good crap. Does it sting at first? Yes. Is it more helpful and productive in the long run? Hel yes.
Quote:
Even if what I develop you think is wrong, it is still my own.

Objectively wrong?
If they are objectively wrong, I have to wonder what good those beliefs will be to you as you grow.
Quote:
Ultimately, we end up with the same thing; a belief system, a faith-filled theory.

I'm not so sure everyone would agree with that... ninja .
Quote:
Even if what you have you feel is well-researched, crafted and adjusted as close to what you want as possible, what I have may bring me the same joy. Having such happiness shouldn't be wrong, even if it is thoughtless in your perspective.

I would really really hope that at some point in finding your path you would put forth some sort of research and adjustment as well confused
I don't think anyone is saying that having that kind of happiness is wrong, just that you should be critical of how you reach it and what you use.

Quote:
You do not make me feel like embracing any sort of expansion. I think your methods of assistance are too abrasive for my taste. You do not have to be discouraging to get a message or viewpoint across to me.

This might be hard to believe...but there are those who are far MORE abrasive than Tea. Trust me.
Her message isn't discouraging or negative. I found it quite helpful myself, really. It's always good to have a dose of skepticism. And it's good to start that habit early wink .

Quote:
I am not asking you to be nice to me or even talk to me. Ultimately, what I become and evolve into should not matter to you.

Actually...if you evolve into something akin to Silverwolf or McCoy, I would say that it matters to all of us. A lot.
If, for example, you become drawn to the gods I follow and then use that to back some sort of white-power ********, it certainly will be the business of a few of us.
Quote:
I think it would be best to acknowledge your suggestion of research. I will look into primary sources and history for reference and decision-making, but such decisions should be made on my own without your input. Frankly, there's a difference between being a constructional skeptic and being unpleasant.

I would also suggest getting some tougher skin. It'll help in dealing with people who dare to challenge your aspirations and ideas.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 am
Two things.
Research and Inspiration.
Now, there is plenty of dreck out there that will lead you astray, part of the challenge, part of the beauty of the riddle is that you need to learn to separate the Truth from the Lies. By doing so, not just in the final result, but also in the process of learning, you gain strength and solid perspective.
Other people may be able to help with insight, but you are completely on your own for gnosis.

In general, I suggest two starting points.
One is very dicey, the other is a bit easier and less likely to cause problems.
The easy one is sorta bland animism.
Make good with the local gods, the little gods in everything. Learn teh nature and personality of the area you are in, learn how the entities there are best approached. This usually involves a bit of scholarship, and may involve some humbling experiences. these are all good in my opinion.

The other route, and this is sorta dangerous, is to ask your ancestors directly.
First, make sure they were not followers of a faith that forbade communion with the dead. Nothing is quite as awkward as importuning an ancestor, only to get an earful about how bothering them is evil. Furthermore, make sure y'all have a language in common. I have met so few ghosts who learned any languages post mortem, as to consider them almost not possible. Oh, and be sure they will respond to a person of your age/gender/appearance.

When communing with anything external to yourself, be very careful, there are plenty of entities out there without our best interests at heart, they will try to exploit you.  

Fiddlers Green

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:09 am
TeaDidikai
Test all UPG.

How, when you're not even sure what you're looking for? I have yet to come across an ancient text with the chapter headed "What to look for when contacting (insert God/dess here) in order to verify it is really (Him/Her/It)."  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Test all UPG.

How, when you're not even sure what you're looking for? I have yet to come across an ancient text with the chapter headed "What to look for when contacting (insert God/dess here) in order to verify it is really (Him/Her/It)."

I think the biggest clue would be if it clearly violates the mythology or the precedent the God has set down previously. For instance, if Dionysos asks you to honor him by quiet meditation and a life of sober abstinence, it might just not be Him.  

Collowrath

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 am
Collowrath
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Test all UPG.

I think the biggest clue would be if it clearly violates the mythology or the precedent the God has set down previously. For instance, if Dionysos asks you to honor him by quiet meditation and a life of sober abstinence, it might just not be Him.

Unless, of course, that would be completly out of your comfort zone. Dionysos likes to throw you into situations like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 pm
Collowrath
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Test all UPG.

That and attempt to replicate the results as much as you can. You may not be able to perfectly apply empiricism to your UPG but you can apply some level of testing rigor to it.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:31 pm
Leaf Worship
Even if what I develop you think is wrong, it is still my own. Ultimately, we end up with the same thing; a belief system, a faith-filled theory. Even if what you have you feel is well-researched, crafted and adjusted as close to what you want as possible, what I have may bring me the same joy. Having such happiness shouldn't be wrong, even if it is thoughtless in your perspective.

To be entirely fair, there are some zones of development where happiness is not enough to make up for the transgressions within those views, beliefs or actions.

For instance if you are raping a culture or being willfully ignorant then it is a problem no matter how happy you are doing so and no matter how well set up it is for you.

And it really isn't necessary to be unhappy/accurate or inaccurate/happy as a binary choice. You can accurately and thoughtfully construct a path that also makes you happy quite easily.

It just requires a lot more work and time. But I find that the extra time and effort just makes reaching your goal all the more wonderful. The meals I find the tastiest are the ones I put the extra time and effort into making.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:52 pm
Collowrath
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Test all UPG.

But see that only tells me what the God clearly is not. I think with some (necessary) research you can understand clearly what the God is not, but when you try to talk to the God yourself it may be a little difficult to find out exactly what it is they want or what they want to represent in your life, if at all. Especially if you're coming from an atheist background, like the OP. I was just wondering if Tea could expand upon what she means by test, if it doesn't mean be well-informed.  

Bastemhet

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:53 pm
Recursive Paradox
Collowrath
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Test all UPG.

That and attempt to replicate the results as much as you can. You may not be able to perfectly apply empiricism to your UPG but you can apply some level of testing rigor to it.

So consistent results would mean that it is the God you mean to communicate to? Couldn't a thoughtform do the same thing?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:59 pm
Quote:
I would also suggest getting some tougher skin. It'll help in dealing with people who dare to challenge your aspirations and ideas.

That is an aspect of me that definitely needs some work. Criticism is sometimes very hard for me to swallow, especially if I feel uncomfortable, doubtful, and miscalculated.
Reading what TeaDidikai wrote did burn. I was accustomed to the idea of a welcoming with a warm-fuzzy approach, and I made a bad assumption; what she said threw me off guard and dismembered my ideas. Maybe I can speak when I am not so lost and I have some information at my side as a companion.  

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 pm
I am interested in researching. I am going to start with Hellenic primary sources. Is there anyone who has suggested reading that would help me understand tradition and deities more thoroughly? Maybe even a site that directs to such works, or anything to suggest in general?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:28 pm
Leaf Worship
I am interested in researching. I am going to start with Hellenic primary sources. Is there anyone who has suggested reading that would help me understand tradition and deities more thoroughly? Maybe even a site that directs to such works, or anything to suggest in general?

works by Homer, like the Odyssey and Illiad.
i also read some poetry by Sappho. i love her work, personally.

perhaps this can help:
http://www.ecauldron.net/recongreek.php

aoijea23487

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 pm
Toasty Marshmallow
Leaf Worship

works by Homer, like the Odyssey and Illiad.
i also read some poetry by Sappho. i love her work, personally.

perhaps this can help:
http://www.ecauldron.net/recongreek.php
I often find those works you suggested rather advance, though Sappho is always nice.

The best part to start is on the shorter epics, the Theogyny and the Homeric Hymns. There you have to worry less about the more confusing cultural context often needed when dealing with Iliad and Odyssey and they aren't, for the large part, in fragments, as Sappho is.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff