Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Controlling the spirits: Enslavement? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 am
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox
Huh. You can do podcasts using skype? Or do you just record the combined call and then run it?

There's a plugin you can get.
Takes all of the channels as tracks. Lets you use garage band to mix them.

That's kind of cool.

Maybe I should podcast stuff now that my voice doesn't sound all manly anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm
Recursive Paradox
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox
Huh. You can do podcasts using skype? Or do you just record the combined call and then run it?

That's kind of cool.

You could be on my podcast if you want to try it out. 3nodding  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 pm
Cyrus the Elder

Guess what I'm trying to get at is, it depends on the entities in question, being a good host doesn't always consist of being kind, nice, etc. sometimes it consists of addressing the guest in the manner to which they are accustomed.
I'm not sure I would consider this to be anything but hospitality.

Quote:
...or justifiable (but still not good).
Oh? Why would one make a blanket moral judgment about other traditions without theological context?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 pm
TeaDidikai

Asahi Sara>> Most of the time the construction of the evocation or invocation is that which allows the being in question to choose to participate or not.

Thank you!  

Adalyna

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 pm
TeaDidikai
Oh? Why would one make a blanket moral judgment about other traditions without theological context?

I said "I can see". Obviously I can only see as far as I'm acquainted xp

And at the time, I couldn't think of any traditions in which it would be morally good. But ********, if you can show me some, great.

(Also note, I didn't state all instances are automatically immoral, just those that I could think of in which it would be justified)

Edit: Am I going to have to break out my logic Venn Diagrams again? ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:53 am
TeaDidikai
Cyrus the Elder
...or justifiable (but still not good).
What do you mean?
Would there be instances of spirit control/enslavement that for theological reasons would be "good"?  

Gho the Girl

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:34 pm
Asahi Sara
Recursive Paradox
I'm starting to wonder whether I should be in game design instead of bioinformatics. o_O

Ahh game design, Kind of a sore spot for me. I gave up on it a while back, maybe I shouldn't have. confused

You should try to jump back in. I'm working on an alternate reality game right now.

TheDisreputableDog
Recursive Paradox
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox

That's kind of cool.

You could be on my podcast if you want to try it out. 3nodding

I dunno. I'm still sort of semi hidden right now in my school and a lot of them are net saavy.

That's not to say I think I would be treated disrespectfully for being trans, but I'd rather not take the risk with my family based safety net cut away from me.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:07 pm
This is sticky.
This topic covers lots of different entities.
Spirits that are part of the local geomnacy or have jobs to do not only aught not be enslaved from moral grounds supporting freedom, but just as, if not more important, aught not be prevented from doing their job.
while a Genus Loci is licking your boots, it's not keeping it's river in good order. This world is a very delicate structure, geomantic lines are very fragile, I cannot express the annoyance I have felt having to clean up other people's meddling with the local geomancy.

Thought forms I am more ambivalent on. If you made it sentient, then you aught treat it with the same respect as any other sentient. But, ultimately, you made it, you are responsible for it. Just keep in mind, abusing your own children is still child abuse.

Demons and other externals...
Well... you bring it in here, and you are responsible for it.
If not metaphysically, then as far as I am concerned. Again, I am sick of cleaning up other people's ill-conceived summons. Also, possibly by complete accident, these things can damage our geomancy, just by existing here. I suggest banishing them if you can, binding and cocooning them off if you can't. Individual exceptions may exist, but do remember, some demons will lie to you.

Also, keep in mind, any number of these things may have friends.
If you can force a god of any power to bend knee, get ready for it's allies to avenge the insult, unless that is explicitely how they interact with us.  

Fiddlers Green

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 am
A question, if I may, Fiddler.

Do you consider my work with the localized Aspects and the Essences of the planet Earth and surrounding celestia as geomancy?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:36 pm
Recursive Paradox

Do you consider my work with the localized Aspects and the Essences of the planet Earth and surrounding celestia as geomancy?

I'd have to know a bit more about it.
If it involves manipulation of the vis (inherent energies) that naturally flows thru the area, then yes. Especially so if it does so with the intention of changing some aspect of the local environ. Incidentally so if there is some other end, but enough of the vis is shuffled that it has a collateral effect.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 pm
Cyrus the Elder

And at the time, I couldn't think of any traditions in which it would be morally good. But ********, if you can show me some, great.
Within the Solomonic tradition, it apparently was good, moral and justified.

One also needs to keep in mind that not all forms of slavery are Chattel Slavery. ninja

Gho the Girl
What do you mean?
Would there be instances of spirit control/enslavement that for theological reasons would be "good"?
One that comes to mind when you phrase it that way is the exorcism of harmful spirits.

Within my tradition there are at least two spirits I can think of where they are summoned from Host by force to be disposed of.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 pm
Fiddlers Green
Recursive Paradox

I'd have to know a bit more about it.
If it involves manipulation of the vis (inherent energies) that naturally flows thru the area, then yes. Especially so if it does so with the intention of changing some aspect of the local environ. Incidentally so if there is some other end, but enough of the vis is shuffled that it has a collateral effect.

Have you taken a look at the externalization vs. internalization thread? I go into some pretty deep detail on energy channeling in Etherism. I don't know if you'd consider Aspectual energy to be vis, although while my metaphysical knowledge of them, I'd be inclined to accept that they are (depending on the Aspect).

My pathways thread would give a good idea too, in the description of the Aspects.  

Recursive Paradox

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:49 am
TeaDidikai
Cyrus the Elder

Within the Solomonic tradition, it apparently was good, moral and justified.

Hmm, shall have to look into the justifications for that ninja

Quote:
One also needs to keep in mind that not all forms of slavery are Chattel Slavery. ninja

I thought that most other forms weren't "against" the entity's "will" though? ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:07 am
Recursive Paradox
Have you taken a look at the externalization vs. internalization thread? I go into some pretty deep detail on energy channeling in Etherism. I don't know if you'd consider Aspectual energy to be vis, although while my metaphysical knowledge of them, I'd be inclined to accept that they are (depending on the Aspect).

My pathways thread would give a good idea too, in the description of the Aspects.

I have looked thru them. 3nodding
What I mean is, I would need to observe first hand.
My scrying is really a weak point.
And, given my obsession with privacy and reciprocal respect, not one I intend to address.
On paper, forgive the term, they may appear one way, but when actualized, they are often so much more robust. does that makes sense? sweatdrop  

Fiddlers Green

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 am
Fiddlers Green
Recursive Paradox

I have looked thru them. 3nodding
What I mean is, I would need to observe first hand.
My scrying is really a weak point.
And, given my obsession with privacy and reciprocal respect, not one I intend to address.
On paper, forgive the term, they may appear one way, but when actualized, they are often so much more robust. does that makes sense? sweatdrop

A bit yes. After all I could be mistaken about the nature of the sourcing. All I can truly say (the rest is theory built from that) is that it's external sourced affinity based energy flows that operate the best on the elemental or universal force that the given Aspect is associated with.

So I know for sure that it doesn't come from me and that only certain types can be drawn in. But whether that's vis remains to be seen I guess.

Heck, it is entirely possible that I'm mildly delusional. Or that the Aspects are actually thoughtforms that allow me to channel external sourced energies through adjusting and playing with energy flow affinities. Which means I could be pulling energy from all sorts of crazy places.

I should try to just reach out into the native flow without a specific Aspect in mind and just sort of commune with it, not channel it. See if I spot a difference.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff