Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Name help? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:42 am
Schpanks
*Groans*
I'm simply trying to find a word that comes to mind when I think of him.
And then putting it into another language so that it's special to me and him only.
Beyond what Nuri said, you would only be keeping the true meaning of the name from other English speakers, basically. Anyone who also spoke the language you chose would know what you were saying, and might even go so far as to laugh at you if your pronunciation was incorrect or you weren't saying what you thought you were (inconceivable!). And if the language has no meaning or use to you other than the pet name, you're basically just assigning a random set of syllables to him that doesn't necessarily map to any particular meaning in your brain.

If I called my girlfriend "koibito," the word would have meaning to me because I've studied Japanese for years, and it might grow to have meaning for her because I said it. But if I called her "mi amor," that would be meaningless because neither of us speaks Spanish and I don't even know how to make the phrase feminine or even if it needs to be. The first case can have special meaning; the second case is basically useless.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 am
maenad nuri
Schpanks
*Groans*
And then putting it into another language so that it's special to me and him only.

But we aren't you. We don't know what you think of when you think of him. We aren't in your head and your actions, and the way you talk.

We can't help, because we don't have the context we need to help you.
Anyone know the Latin for "Cute p***s"?  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:52 am
Schpanks
*Groans*

Then think of it yourself rather than asking people who don't know your SO from Joe neutral
Not to be rude, but do you have any idea how bizarre it is to listen/read someone saying "Hey tell me what I'm supposed to think of when I think of this person"?
I second what Nuri said, basically.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 am
TeaDidikai
maenad nuri
Schpanks
*Groans*

But we aren't you. We don't know what you think of when you think of him. We aren't in your head and your actions, and the way you talk.

What about the Latin for Detachable p***s? *grin*  

Recursive Paradox

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
maenad nuri
Schpanks
*Groans*

What about the Latin for Detachable p***s? *grin*

I think I'm going to ask my fiancee that, since she spent at least a few years studying Latin.

As for us, we use all kinds of sickly cute pet names for each other that probably drive our friends crazy. She talks to me in French sometimes, because I love the sound of the language, even though I have no idea what she's saying most of the time, and I call her things in Spanish cuz that's just second nature for me. But I would never dream of calling her mo chroi or anything, because she has very little understanding of Irish culture and I have very little understanding of Gaeilge, so it would be silly to use the phrase, even if I like it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:33 pm
Perhaps someone could construct a formula for the perfect pet name.
It could blend an attractive feature with an element of a fond memory.  

Pativ Asa

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:51 pm
Schpanks
So, I wanna find a sort of 'pet-name' for my boyfriend.
Gaelic, Mythological or Pagan name.
A short name would be great.
So, please?
The name and the translation.
Thanks!
wouldn't it be more personal for you to come up with?

i really don't mean to sound rude, but it is all in context. one ex and i, i called him affectionately "dork" and he called me lovingly "brat". it all depends on who you are, who they are, and how you both communicate....

otherwise, i'm in for "cute p***s".  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:01 pm
saint dreya
Schpanks
So, I wanna find a sort of 'pet-name' for my boyfriend.
Gaelic, Mythological or Pagan name.
A short name would be great.
So, please?
The name and the translation.
Thanks!
wouldn't it be more personal for you to come up with?

i really don't mean to sound rude, but it is all in context. one ex and i, i called him affectionately "dork" and he called me lovingly "brat". it all depends on who you are, who they are, and how you both communicate....

otherwise, i'm in for "cute p***s".

My personal favorite is adorkable ^_^

And sadly, my cute one was of no help whatsoever on the Latin translation of "cute p***s". What good is she?!  

Ainwyn

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:40 am
Pativ Asa
Perhaps someone could construct a formula for the perfect pet name.
It could blend an attractive feature with an element of a fond memory.

I hate that I started writing out a discrete math formula using sets and intensity variables for this. >.<

What is wrong with me!? x_x  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:55 pm
Somewhere a strange affinity for bears kicked in on my boyfriend, so his full title is Corey-bear, or sometimes Corey-kuma, and little more rarely Kuma-kun.

Although, I tend to use "goofy" a lot more than those when out in public. Corey-bear/kuma is slightly more private.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:19 pm
Any more votes for cute p***s?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 pm
As a Sagart na nGael, as allowed through the entitlements of Ainm, Tuatha, Muintir, Clann, Ríochta and Ainmhithe, I hereby accord you the Name Ionsaigh and your boyfriend the Name Amadán
They both refer to those who seek to be able to say the forbidden and do the unknowable.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:38 pm
What's the difference between the two?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 pm
maenad nuri

One's the female (ionsaigh) and the other's the male (amadán). They have different roots, as words, but I'd have to look at a detailed dictionary and I don't have one to hand at the moment. I'll ask Scorplett about her translations.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:52 pm
CuAnnan
maenad nuri

One's the female (óinseach) and the other's the male (amadán). They have different roots, as words, but I'd have to look at a detailed dictionary and I don't have one to hand at the moment. I'll ask Scorplett about her translations.

Having consulted with Cú on the matter, you might indeed be considered óinseach, and your boyfriend amadán, however I would think that a more affectionate name might be 'bodín' pronounced Buh-deen  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff