Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Remembering the Host, Now With Definition Thingie Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you pay any homage to Dei Loci in your area?
  Yes
  No, they are irrelevent to my religion
  No, they are unimportant entirely
  What's a Dei Loci...?
  Get Off Your High Horse, Dirt Worshipper!
View Results

Adalyna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:18 pm
I wish I even knew my local gods... As I do believe they are there, I've no idea how to give them reverence. As someone else stated many of the native American tribes are closed traditions, and I don't know any of their members. Once in a while, I feel mysterious spiritual presences and I don't know if its my imagination or of there are actually beings occupying strange places like park or a particular subway station. I imagine there would be entities in the mountains north of where I live, but I have no clue how to commune with them or offer them respect or reverence, be they otherlings or deities.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:36 pm
As a US citizen, the only local gods I know of are Native American. I tend to leave them alone, because they are closed cultured and I don't know anything about them.
I haven't started making offerings to the local wights yet, because I don't have enough information.
YHVH and his angels are well recieved in my home as are the Norse Dieties. They leave each other alone.  

RubyLight

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:12 pm
Anyone know of any Iroquois deities that are open or if the traditions of the Iroquois are open?
Because I think that's the closest Native American cultural group to my area.

Actually, the major park of my city is named after I believe the name of the Native tribe that used to live around these parts.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Fiddlers Green

Recursive Paradox, there are some entities out there that don't particularly care for humans, or specific types of humans, others may not think much of us, tread with care.

Oh I'm definitely careful of that. There are Aspects that are not terribly fond of humans existing so I've had my fair share of antagonistic relationships before.

I dunno if I told you about when something went after me late at night in my snowy campus?  

Recursive Paradox

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 pm
SpaceTerminal Destiny
Anyone know of any Iroquois deities that are open or if the traditions of the Iroquois are open?

Actually, the major park of my city is named after I believe the name of the Native tribe that used to live around these parts.
Any particular Iroquois tribe you are intrested in?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 am
Okay, got the top post updated.

The Haudenosaunee were great monster hunters...
'Tis a shame so little of the League of Peace and Power remains. neutral  

Fiddlers Green

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:06 am
Haudenosaunee! I've been trying to remember that tribe name forever. I memorized one of their legends for a class years ago. I only remember pieces of it now. It fits in with the monster hunting theme and had to do with the origin of mosquitoes. Sweet coincidence! surprised  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:09 am
mute_coyote
Haudenosaunee! I've been trying to remember that tribe name forever. I memorized one of their legends for a class years ago. I only remember pieces of it now. It fits in with the monster hunting theme and had to do with the origin of mosquitoes. Sweet coincidence! surprised

Very nice.
Also, I'm not really sure that tribe would be the best word for them.
They were sorta like a Confederation of tribes. But that is quibbling semantics. I'm just glad to run into someone else who has heard their reputation. 3nodding  

Fiddlers Green

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 am
mute_coyote
Sweet coincidence! surprised

/me chuckles  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:43 pm
So, I happen to be drawn to this particular tree near a Kroger parking lot (I wish I knew what kind it is). Last Autumn I fairly consistantly watched it's leaves change and fall, listen to the wind rustle the leaves, and just otherwise stare at it and feel contented by it's presence.

Could this be an example of Dei Loci?  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:00 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
SpaceTerminal Destiny

Any particular Iroquois tribe you are intrested in?

You know what, I was assuming Iroquois, just because I know Southern to Central Ontario was supposed to be full of Iroquois tribes. sweatdrop

The only clue about my city's native past is Chinguacousy Park. Chinguacousy is supposed to mean "Land of the Tall Pines" in some native language, except it doesn't say which one. stare  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:27 pm
Fiddlers Green
Now, I'll accept arguement on the point, but my stance is that anyone who claims exclusive rights with a Dei Loci who no longer dwells in that god's regio is talking from their forth point of contact, and their words should be treated with the same gravity as anything else discharged from such an orifice. either mistaken as to what their god actually is, or has a very creative idea of regional divinities.
Small point of note- some individuals who are bound to a strip of land for whatever reason spiritually may relocate, but the overlap in their bond with the land and the deities bond with the land may lead to complex relationships.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 pm
Taliah
So, I happen to be drawn to this particular tree near a Kroger parking lot (I wish I knew what kind it is). Last Autumn I fairly consistantly watched it's leaves change and fall, listen to the wind rustle the leaves, and just otherwise stare at it and feel contented by it's presence.

Could this be an example of Dei Loci?

Try asking it. 3nodding
There is little way to be sure unless you inquiry.
Also, if it is just the god of that tree, then it is more a Genus Loci... but if the tree is the seat for the god in charge of the area, then it would definitely qualify.

TeaDidikai
Small point of note- some individuals who are bound to a strip of land for whatever reason spiritually may relocate, but the overlap in their bond with the land and the deities bond with the land may lead to complex relationships.

Explanation with example please?
I'm not sure I am following exactly.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm
Fiddlers Green

Explanation with example please?
I'm not sure I am following exactly.

For example, some of the local deities of specific regions of Scotland are bound by blood to the land.
Some of the Scots are also bound by blood to the land.
(We're talking about very specific blood oaths sworn)

In so much that even upon leaving the lands, the oaths have not left the familial line, there is a holdover- an echo of the impression between these deities and the clan(s) in question.

It's a metaphysical "Your Dei Loci got their peanut butter in this clan's jelly."
The relocation hasn't severed the bloodoaths and won't for at least another generation (baring restoration to the land or the passing of the oath of course).

In this specific case, it leads to a Dei Loci being entangled with a family, though not bound to them.

You'll have to forgive the over simplification. sweatdrop Is it enough information to track the small exception to the statement you made about exclusive rights and Dei Loci?

It is important to note that there is a generational standard in play that would end such pact, but if it hasn't happened yet, it would be jumping the gun to exclude it, ya?  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am
TeaDidikai
For example, some of the local deities of specific regions of Scotland are bound by blood to the land.
Some of the Scots are also bound by blood to the land.
(We're talking about very specific blood oaths sworn)

In so much that even upon leaving the lands, the oaths have not left the familial line, there is a holdover- an echo of the impression between these deities and the clan(s) in question.

It's a metaphysical "Your Dei Loci got their peanut butter in this clan's jelly."
The relocation hasn't severed the bloodoaths and won't for at least another generation (baring restoration to the land or the passing of the oath of course).

In this specific case, it leads to a Dei Loci being entangled with a family, though not bound to them.

You'll have to forgive the over simplification. sweatdrop Is it enough information to track the small exception to the statement you made about exclusive rights and Dei Loci?

It is important to note that there is a generational standard in play that would end such pact, but if it hasn't happened yet, it would be jumping the gun to exclude it, ya?

The Scots are pacted to the land.
The Gods are of the land.
I'm missing the part where the expatriates have an exclusive right to the gods of the land.
Did they make exclusionary pacts?
Also, aren't the people still living in Scotland maintaining it?

I meant more to challenge the ability of people who (for whatever reason) have completely abandoned the land to claim exclusive rights.
I mean whether a culture is closed or not is irrelevent if they aren't in the lands of the Dei Loci at all. Unless of course... see the thread about enslaving spirits for my feelings on people that get exclusive contracts and then bail. stare
A Dei Loci CAN'T pack up and travel with a people, that's one of the defining factors at work.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff