Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pagan Ethics Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Movin on Up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:10 am
TeaDidikai
Deo>> Thanks.

Movin on Up
Alright, I'll play. But you're kinda vague.

Do you know which ethical theories we should be using?
Or should I assume its strictly Deontology? Since we're looking at Oaths and Oathbreaking and all.

Or are we trying to build our own Virtue Ethics base in this thread? That won't be easy to do well.

At least I know we're not trying to fix the ethics of everyone else that make life harder for us. Similar to feminist ethics but not exactly gonna happen without years of thought before we do anything.
Right now... I'm just looking for topics.
Oh.

Well we could always try looking at the morals of different types of pagans to look for a pattern.

Deontology is just following your duty or obligations. Deoridhe, if the shoe fits, go ahead and claim it!

As for topics...
When it's right to lead a coven/grove/crcle/etc.
When and why its right to leave one too.
Maybe discuss how to be a good (morally) solitary? Maybe.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 am
Movin on Up
TeaDidikai
Deo>> Thanks.

Movin on Up

Or should I assume its strictly Deontology? Since we're looking at Oaths and Oathbreaking and all.

Or are we trying to build our own Virtue Ethics base in this thread? That won't be easy to do well.

At least I know we're not trying to fix the ethics of everyone else that make life harder for us. Similar to feminist ethics but not exactly gonna happen without years of thought before we do anything.
Oh.

Well we could always try looking at the morals of different types of pagans to look for a pattern.

Deontology is just following your duty or obligations. Deoridhe, if the shoe fits, go ahead and claim it!

As for topics...

I was under the impression from my various Ethics classes that Deontology was the ethical framework by which certain ethical standards were treated as absolute.

As in they always apply without mind to subjective or contextual situations. For instance, it is a deontological ethic to regard rape as always wrong, no exceptions.  

Recursive Paradox

Movin on Up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 am
Recursive Paradox
Movin on Up
TeaDidikai
Deo>> Thanks.

Movin on Up

Oh.

As for topics...

I was under the impression from my various Ethics classes that Deontology was the ethical framework by which certain ethical standards were treated as absolute.

As in they always apply without mind to subjective or contextual situations. For instance, it is a deontological ethic to regard rape as always wrong, no exceptions.

Hey, we're obligated to not shoot one another.
But what about when that obligation to support your country comes up by the draft?
Which duty comes first? We're stuck and have to find some other way of thinking to address it.

There's more to it, but that's just general Deontology.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:31 am
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox
Movin on Up
TeaDidikai
Deo>> Thanks.

Movin on Up

Oh.

As for topics...

But what about when that obligation to support your country comes up by the draft?
Which duty comes first? We're stuck and have to find some other way of thinking to address it.

I really didn't see anything in my classes about obligations as being characteristic of deontological ethical systems. They can have obligations in them, but those systems are characterized by having ethical absolutes in them that are not dependent on context.

So the system in question would be deontological because it has ethical claims that apply no matter what context, not because it has obligations in it, if any.  

Recursive Paradox

Movin on Up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 pm
Recursive Paradox
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox
Movin on Up
TeaDidikai
Deo>> Thanks.

Movin on Up

Oh.

As for topics...

I really didn't see anything in my classes about obligations as being characteristic of deontological ethical systems. They can have obligations in them, but those systems are characterized by having ethical absolutes in them that are not dependent on context.

So the system in question would be deontological because it has ethical claims that apply no matter what context, not because it has obligations in it, if any.

I think we're arguing the same point from both sides. Those 'moral absolutes' are the 'obligations' that I'm talking about now that I look at my textbook. Hence the Greek root word deon that means "duty" being a part of that word's root.

My bad for being unclear. Hopefully our little discussion makes things a bit clearer for folks reading!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:45 pm
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox
Movin on Up
Oh.

As for topics...

I think we're arguing the same point from both sides. Those 'moral absolutes' are the 'obligations' that I'm talking about now that I look at my textbook. Hence the Greek root word deon that means "duty" being a part of that word's root.

My bad for being unclear. Hopefully our little discussion makes things a bit clearer for folks reading!

Ah, so the word obligation is being used as a sort of indication that this moral value always applies?

Okay, I think we are just running in circles in different directions around the same point.  

Recursive Paradox

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:39 am
Would "relationships" include ethical issues relating to sexuality?

Other topics I'd be interested in would be social hierarchies, theft, violence, blood sacrifice, vengeance, and blasphemy.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff