Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Telling Your Loved Ones Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:24 pm
Areleklo
hold on, just because it's his parents religion doesnt mean he's oathbound.

Certain rituals in Christianity make one oathbound to YHVH, I believe. I couldn't say offhand which ones but suffice it to say that certain oaths really ought to be broken.

Like one made when I was a child to enslave me to a deity I owe nothing to. *nodnod*

Quote:
its not about what you believe its about going where you feel is right.

Some people feel it is right to rape children. So there are some flaws with this idea.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:29 pm
You've got to be pretty misinformed if you think molesting a child is the 'right' thing to do..  

Maze

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:34 pm
Areleklo

Actually, depending on if he/she (I thought the OP was a she?) has been baptized and the wording of the baptism, yes, he/she is.
Quote:
its not about what you believe its about going where you feel is right.

So if I think it's "right" to kill kittens, eat their hearts, and then have sex with the lifeless body, then it's cool? I mean, I feel it's right and everything.
BLANKET PERMISSION IS THE BEST THING. EVAR.
mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen
Quote:
if he finds more help for his path in Wicca isnt that good enough? I think it is.

The path he/she is on isn't Wicca though. It might be based on the outer-court material, which is fine and dandy, but it's not Wicca.
And here also is when the lesson of What You Think =|= reality.
Areleklo
I'm being peaceful about this

|
|
|
V
Quote:
You do it again i'm just going to ignore you.

Quote:
So, knock it off.

I see.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:01 pm
Maze
You've got to be pretty misinformed if you think molesting a child is the 'right' thing to do..

Or ********. Either way, it happens.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Maze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:06 pm
mute_coyote
Maze

Hit 'em where it hurts.

Their brains.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 pm
Maze
mute_coyote
Maze

Hit 'em where it hurts.

Their brains.

Can I use an aluminum bat?  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:16 pm
To the actual question of the thread...

I haven't discussed anything about my beliefs with my parents, at least not directly.

For one, I still live in their house. Openly declaring I am not of the religion they believe in, and then expecting them to accept it without much scruple is naive, as well as disrespectful to their home rules and beliefs.

Another, I myself am still unsure of my beliefs. How do I come out to my family if I'm not sure about myself? All I really know is I have beef with the concept of original sin and I have some humanist, and perhaps Deist views. Does that mean I think I should be one of the Pagan religions? I'm not sure, that's why I'm here, to lurk and learn, and occasionally ask my questions.

I suppose you could call me a soft agnostic.

So, until I figure it out, there's no sense in troubling my parents with such a burden.

@ Tea - If I was of the Church of Christ, but was never baptized (only reciting a prayer to ask God into my life), would I be breaking an Oath, or would that be moot due to not being baptized?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:53 pm
Taliah
For one, I still live in their house. Openly declaring I am not of the religion they believe in, and then expecting them to accept it without much scruple is naive, as well as disrespectful to their home rules and beliefs.

Expecting them to accept it without issue is disrespectful or disclosing to them that you follow a different religion is disrespectful?  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:02 pm
Taliah
@ Tea - If I was of the Church of Christ, but was never baptized (only reciting a prayer to ask God into my life), would I be breaking an Oath, or would that be moot due to not being baptized?
I'm going to have to look into the different denominations because I don't want to make any general claims. Was that the full title?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:38 pm
TeaDidikai
Areleklo

In the case of YHVH-based religions, you're wrong. See, YHVH has this habit of creating Generational Curses.

I gotta call you on that one. Usually there is a ritual whereby someone accepts the covenant with YHWH; a lot of people consider this baptism though in Catholicism it's Confirmation. That indicates the covenant is not generational, but rather must be accepted.

I'm lucky; I was Northern baptist and we weren't baptized. Yay!

As tot he topic of the thread, I told my mom in college. She was reassure by the Rede (yes, I was one of Those teenagers). She was less reassured when I told her I didn't accept that anymore, upon becoming Asatru. She still thinks I'm a good person, though, and she's incredibly sensitive to ritual space for a non-believer.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 pm
. . . I was baptised. . . s**t.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 pm
Gho the Girl

*puts a hand gently on your shoulder* I'm sorry, but you're doomed.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:47 pm
Deoridhe
Gho the Girl

*puts a hand gently on your shoulder* I'm sorry, but you're doomed.

....fine, it actually varies a lot from sect to sect. Usually some sort of actually being old enough to walk and talk and think is considered required. I do feel bad for anyone who went through with confirmation, though. I mean, "Opsie" doesn't really work.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:49 pm
Deoridhe
Usually there is a ritual whereby someone accepts the covenant with YHWH; a lot of people consider this baptism though in Catholicism it's Confirmation.

Guess that makes me an Oathbreaker to YHVH then.

Unfortunate.  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
Usually there is a ritual whereby someone accepts the covenant with YHWH; a lot of people consider this baptism though in Catholicism it's Confirmation.

Guess that makes me an Oathbreaker to YHVH then.

Unfortunate.

Yeah. I think he has bigger fish to fry... hope, perhaps?

Like I said, I'm damn lucky, especially considering how seriously Oaths are taken by my gods.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff