Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
How to research? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:40 am
PrometheanSet
Now you have me listening.
So? Really, we get folks like you in here every couple of months. People either get with the program or they leave. If you want to appeal to the Nice One, shoot Nuri a PM. Other than that? I've been civil enough.

Quote:
A little more polite, and I won't be such an arse myself!
I'm not invested in you enough to care. If you want to be thoughtful and listen, that's fine. If you want to be an a** and make yourself look rather silly by positing your assumptions only to be shot down, that's fine too.
Quote:

However, with it being an academic field, the research comes in peer-reviewed journals. So yes, you'll have the occasional person (who's job it is to be an expert) seem like they're on crazy pills. However, overall, I'd trust a large group of them, over time to get a bit closer to the truth than anyone else.
I don't trust people to get things right. I trust documentation, archeology and supporting evidence to confirm a hypothesis myself. But hey- that's just me.

After all, some of the claims Leland made were supported by peer review. That doesn't change the fact that he and his peers were horribly racist and thus coloring their findings.

Quote:
My whole point to being here is to plug this idea - if we want to get anywhere, we gotta be willing to study our history. If you've got better info on Wicca's history (for example) I'd be interested in seeing where you got it. You know, something that didn't come from pop-culture? It's sad when that's the only thing that wouldn't be more credible if it cited Erisian chainletters as a source!
Most of my info on the Wica comes from actual members of the cult- either first hand by people who have lineage or via books by authors on the Wica talking about their experiences.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:33 am
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet
Now you have me listening.
So? Really, we get folks like you in here every couple of months. People either get with the program or they leave. If you want to appeal to the Nice One, shoot Nuri a PM. Other than that? I've been civil enough.

Quote:
A little more polite, and I won't be such an arse myself!
I'm not invested in you enough to care. If you want to be thoughtful and listen, that's fine. If you want to be an a** and make yourself look rather silly by positing your assumptions only to be shot down, that's fine too.
Quote:

However, with it being an academic field, the research comes in peer-reviewed journals. So yes, you'll have the occasional person (who's job it is to be an expert) seem like they're on crazy pills. However, overall, I'd trust a large group of them, over time to get a bit closer to the truth than anyone else.
I don't trust people to get things right. I trust documentation, archeology and supporting evidence to confirm a hypothesis myself. But hey- that's just me.

After all, some of the claims Leland made were supported by peer review. That doesn't change the fact that he and his peers were horribly racist and thus coloring their findings.

Quote:
My whole point to being here is to plug this idea - if we want to get anywhere, we gotta be willing to study our history. If you've got better info on Wicca's history (for example) I'd be interested in seeing where you got it. You know, something that didn't come from pop-culture? It's sad when that's the only thing that wouldn't be more credible if it cited Erisian chainletters as a source!
Most of my info on the Wica comes from actual members of the cult- either first hand by people who have lineage or via books by authors on the Wica talking about their experiences.

You sound like the people (you know, experts in the field?) don't leave documentation (you know, a part of the job description when you get a PhD).

This might be why you get so many trolls - if I were a troll, you'd be making it easy. You're happy to jump down my throat about any little thing, as soon as I say something you don't like, or that you feel isn't spun absolutely correctly. Truly, I've lost count of the times I've read your post's rebuttal and thought we were saying the same damn thing with different words. Its maddening - no wonder so many rational-minded people leave here so quickly.

You act as though you have so much to contribute here, yet the only thing I've learned here is how to apply a bit more patience, and not for lack of trying either...  

PrometheanSet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:48 am
PrometheanSet
You sound like the people (you know, experts in the field?) don't leave documentation (you know, a part of the job description when you get a PhD).
You are aware that just having a degree doesn't promise quality, right? I mean, Doreen Virtue has a PhD, and her books on Angels and Faeries are some of the most ignorant cow flop on the market.

Can't say I'm too much more impressed with Leland's flop on the Rroma, though his was more a function of his ignorance and racism in dealing with them than anything else. I mean for ******** sake, when you bribe people who are starving with food hoping to get information that demonstrates your premise is correct- they may well tell you anything you want to hear.

In short- having fancy letters at the end of your name doesn't prove you're right. Stop acting like it does.
Quote:

This might be why you get so many trolls - . You're happy to jump down my throat about any little thing, as soon as I say something you don't like, or that you feel isn't spun absolutely correctly. Truly, I've lost count of the times I've read your post's rebuttal and thought we were saying the same damn thing with different words.
We don't get trolls around here actually.

You need to learn to stop identifying your posted positions and the lack of correction with your personal worth. It will help you be more objective. 3nodding

Quote:
You act as though you have so much to contribute here, yet the only thing I've learned here is how to apply a bit more patience.
I don't act. I contribute. What people take away is up to them.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:11 pm
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet
You are aware that just having a degree doesn't promise quality, right? I mean, Doreen Virtue has a PhD, and her books on Angels and Faeries are some of the most ignorant cow flop on the market.

Can't say I'm too much more impressed with Leland's flop on the Rroma, though his was more a function of his ignorance and racism in dealing with them than anything else. I mean for ******** sake, when you bribe people who are starving with food hoping to get information that demonstrates your premise is correct- they may well tell you anything you want to hear.

In short- having fancy letters at the end of your name doesn't prove you're right. Stop acting like it does.
Quote:

This might be why you get so many trolls - . You're happy to jump down my throat about any little thing, as soon as I say something you don't like, or that you feel isn't spun absolutely correctly. Truly, I've lost count of the times I've read your post's rebuttal and thought we were saying the same damn thing with different words.
We don't get trolls around here actually.

You need to learn to stop identifying your posted positions and the lack of correction with your personal worth. It will help you be more objective. 3nodding

Quote:
You act as though you have so much to contribute here, yet the only thing I've learned here is how to apply a bit more patience.
I don't act. I contribute. What people take away is up to them.

No, simply having a degree doesn't guarantee anything. That's why I'm learning from a reputable Anthropology department.

Wow, more flames. Thanks hon! I feel so much better already rolleyes  

PrometheanSet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:42 pm
PrometheanSet
No, simply having a degree doesn't guarantee anything. That's why I'm learning from a reputable Anthropology department.
In Leland's day, he was part of his "reputable Anthropology department". You misunderstand the point of the post.

In his era, the idea of the Nobel Savage was perfectly acceptable. One of the major problems that most anthropology suffers from is racism. By recontextualizing alien cultures in Western Frameworks, we create errors.

Quote:
Take some time, do some research and learn what a flame is. You're misusing the term. Telling you you're wrong isn't a flame. Nor is being sarcastic.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:47 pm
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet
In Leland's day, he was part of his "reputable Anthropology department". You misunderstand the point of the post.

In his era, the idea of the Nobel Savage was perfectly acceptable. One of the major problems that most anthropology suffers from is racism. By recontextualizing alien cultures in Western Frameworks, we create errors.

Quote:
Take some time, do some research and learn what a flame is. You're misusing the term. Telling you you're wrong isn't a flame. Nor is being sarcastic.

Oy. Have you ever heard of the concept of Cultural Relativism? Its supposed to minimize exactly what you're talking about. Thanks to this idea, there are no "Noble savages", only their own Native American culture. You can learn all about it in a Sociology or Anthropology 101 course at a respectable University or Community College.

And you know, exposure to different ideas makes it easier to not balk when something comes up from a different culture. Screw value judgments, just take notes on what you find. Even if the Bedouin group feeds you camel eyeball soup, then runs behind the tents to completely roll on the ground laughing their arses off at you eating that stuff that they too consider filth. For example. xp  

PrometheanSet

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:17 pm
You know, my anthro 101 course taught about it, and acknowledged that the problem still exists within Anthropology in a big way.

(course, my anthro course was "Cross-Cultural Perspectives on World Problems" and kicked total s**t and I almost switched my major, partially because any course that could admit it's problems was ace in my book)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:09 pm
PrometheanSet

Oy. Have you ever heard of the concept of Cultural Relativism? Its supposed to minimize exactly what you're talking about. Thanks to this idea, there are no "Noble savages", only their own Native American culture. You can learn all about it in a Sociology or Anthropology 101 course at a respectable University or Community College.
As Nuri points out- the problem is still there.

Further- having experienced it first hand from an anthropology student who told me that I wasn't really my ethnicity because I don't uphold a crap ton of racist stereotypes, I think I'm more than qualified to point out that Racism and Romantic Revisionism of other cultures still exists in Anthropology. stare
Quote:

And you know, exposure to different ideas makes it easier to not balk when something comes up from a different culture. Screw value judgments, just take notes on what you find.
If you think you actually don't carry value judgments in your work, you're likely to have a far greater number of subtlety racist issues in your world view.

Quote:
Even if the Bedouin group feeds you camel eyeball soup, then runs behind the tents to completely roll on the ground laughing their arses off at you eating that stuff that they too consider filth. For example. xp
Andrew Zimmerman had a great example of this in Africa as I recall.

WHO THE ******** PUTS SALT IN TEA?! gonk  

TeaDidikai

DemoniaFairy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 pm
i learned at my college, that wikipedia is a very bad source because any non-credible person can go on there and type whatever they want. A while back wikipedia said our town was occupied entirely by apes and that our statues on main street were transported from the future.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:16 pm
DemoniaFairy
i learned at my college, that wikipedia is a very bad source because any non-credible person can go on there and type whatever they want. A while back wikipedia said our town was occupied entirely by apes and that our statues on main street were transported from the future.

Which is why you use it to get an overview, and crib their sources. Same as any other encyclopedia, it should never be an only source.

That being said, there has been research supporting Wikipedia being as accurate as most edited encyclopedia for certain topics, or even more up-to-date.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 am
maenad nuri
DemoniaFairy

Which is why you use it to get an overview, and crib their sources. Same as any other encyclopedia, it should never be an only source.

That being said, there has been research supporting Wikipedia being as accurate as most edited encyclopedia for certain topics, or even more up-to-date.
It's a useful source- as long as the topic in question isn't controversial.

For example, the pieces on the history of some scientific theories has been useful and accurate. Topics on Wica and the like aren't as useful because Fluffs and objectivists volley the articles back and fourth.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:16 pm
Does anyone know a better Online Database than EBSCOHost?

I'm trying to do a World Civ. 1 project over King Solomon and the Temple of Jerusalem, but I'm having trouble finding good sources. That, and our Community College library is pretty limited on helpful books (so far the information I've found has all come from Encyclopedias).

Please and thank you in advance, because any and all help is appreciated. heart  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 pm
Taliah
Does anyone know a better Online Database than EBSCOHost?

I'm trying to do a World Civ. 1 project over King Solomon and the Temple of Jerusalem, but I'm having trouble finding good sources. That, and our Community College library is pretty limited on helpful books (so far the information I've found has all come from Encyclopedias).

Please and thank you in advance, because any and all help is appreciated. heart
What aspect of the Beit HaMikdash are you writing about?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:12 pm
TeaDidikai

Mainly the story of it's creation and destruction (by both the Babylonians and Romans), some insight to Solomon himself and why he built it, and just why this is such an important landmark for the Jewish faith (we haven't covered Islam yet, so I figure we'll leave that part out until we get there in lecture).

It's a group oral presentation, and we're supposed to give enough information to cover 10 minutes.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 pm
Taliah
TeaDidikai

Mainly the story of it's creation and destruction (by both the Babylonians and Romans), some insight to Solomon himself and why he built it, and just why this is such an important landmark for the Jewish faith (we haven't covered Islam yet, so I figure we'll leave that part out until we get there in lecture).

It's a group oral presentation, and we're supposed to give enough information to cover 10 minutes.

Well, start at 1 Shmuel 22- it includes David's instructions.

Then go to 1 Melakhim 5, where it outlines the duty falling to his son.

When you look at 1 Melakhim 6:7 you'll note something very telling about how the Temple was removed from the daily life.

I'd add a commentary on the difference between the Sacred and Profane here myself.

Further information can be found in 1 Melakhim chapters five through eight and 2 Shmuel chapters 1-7.

What made the temple unusual is that there was no idol within it- only the Ark and the Kaporet.

3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces