Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
I need more angels around me. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:16 am
Try doing 30-60 minutes a day of 60 second gestural sketches. www.posemaniacs.com

Trust me, it helps.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:03 pm
haha i know me and errol disagree here but i hate that site.

i feel that if you don't understand proportions and how to see them properly it would be cementing bad art habits. and yea i know it sounds really silly that one wouldn't be able to see proportions properly. but as artists(especially beginners) we tend to transpose our own idea of proportions and anatomy on to the page, instead of what we see. it has to do with the perspective of the was we view the world. but i won't bore you with the technical details  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:21 am
I hate the site too, Folken. We talked about that, remember? xd

I think he needs to get used to drawing quickly and fluidly. These look like he takes a long time and antagonizes over the separate pieces without connecting the flow of the body. The technical stuff comes in time with study, but the actual flow and such you don't learn, so much as cultivate from practice and just getting comfortable and confident in drawing on a whole.

Much like dance or martial arts, I think it's better to warm the body and train the body to be able to actually handle learning the actual routine. If you jump right into it, you hurt yourself. (Then again, this is coming from an ex dancer.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:54 pm
god i hate doing faces.

unfinished
User Image

unfinished
User Image

unfinished
User Image

User Image

User Image  

thug to the limit

no surrender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:34 am
Hello. :>
I agree that you need to keep working on the gestural stuff, but it always helps to get a bit of perspective from time to time.
Some redlines for you. :>
Remember that in an ideal body shape, the shoulders and the hips should be the same size (the shoulders shouldn't be bigger). Don't be afraid to give her a butt. Lol.
Red Lines
If you're having trouble with faces, use a guide like I added on the side there. This helps you to line up the facial features and can make everything easier and more balanced.
Good luck! :>  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:34 pm
dated from oldest to most current.

User Image
User Image
User Image

Anatomy works

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

User Image

User Image
User Image

Another unfinished piece
User Image

watch as I steal life.
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

this is basically a gesture
User Image

User Image
User Image

Here it is for my #1 hater
User Image

User Image

Fort underseige fan art
User Image

User Image

Islands in the sky fan art
User Image

1 million b.c. fan art
User Image

User Image

3-D work done in modo; not 3dmax, blender, or maya, but modo
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Sadly you can see where I took the inside of the larger vase and pulled it out.

User Image

Sorry I could not turn of the transparency.
User Image

nurbed
User Image
un nurbed
User Image

User Image  

thug to the limit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm
Keep doing the gestural work. I'm seeing improvement with those, but it's not carrying over into the cartoons just yet. It will, but it take a lot of study to get your own stylized work to show the things you're learning.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:46 pm
I'm not doing cartoons, I'm sticking with figures and still life.

This is of an office, it isn’t finish yet because I still have a lot of stuff in it to model, then texture it, and then light it.
User Image

This is an unfinished BMW
User Image

Now for the 2-D, here is a women
User Image

Here is a man holding a pole
User Image  

thug to the limit

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 pm
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:07 pm
You're improving. Here are some books that can help you take your drawings to the next level.

Drawing People

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

They these for now. The first one helped me immensely.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

mangachan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:16 pm
IThe hair in the last couple of drawings:
Don't smudge hair like that, it doesn't read well. It's kind of hard for me to explain but draw it in sections, draw some fly away strands but make sure the treatment of everything is generally consistant. If the materials are the problem, I suggest you get better ones as suggested earlier.

Some of your characters aren't balanced properly. The picture of Sasami (girl with the 2 long ponytails) on the first page for example, looks as if she's tilted over. Always be aware of the center of gravity.

You're still having some difficulty with anatomy in the crotch region. 1) I noticed you tend to draw crotches short. There's alot of internal anatomy that must be suggested. 2)the breasts on your characters are too high. Copying from anime won't help you to fix this problem because alot of people don't know what they really look like. Keep in mind that breasts sit on top of the chest and they move with the pectoral muscles. It may be more helpful to draw the chest without the breasts first and add them afterwards.

I do see improvement, keep working at it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:23 am
Okay, this is what I was talking about with the center of gravity.

User Image

When you don't do it right, it looks as if the figure is going to fall over. As you can see, most of the weight in your drawing is on one side of the line. It doesn't feel like her legs are accurately carrying her weight. To help fix this, get in the pose you're drawing and see if it feels right. If not, make adjustments.  

mangachan

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:29 am
As a few already know some **** ****** ******** stole my printer/scanner, and now I am forced to resort to such primitive means of posting my work. When I find the mofo I'm going to release the dragon on their asses!

What I have been doing since I've been away!

Realistic pictures from magazines and books
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Recreations for the purpose of shading!
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

just somethng
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 am
User Image  

thug to the limit

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:30 am
Gonna comment on your two more recent works.

I can tell that you are trying. I see you're using guidelines to get the volume down. That's a good start. There are still a lot of anatomy issues, though. I recommend taking some time out to really study anatomy and proportions. If that seems daunting, look into a book or two. Anatomy for the Artist is a good one if you have a little money to spend. You might also check out this resource for some nice photos:
http://fineart.sk/

Instead of drawing people all the time, though, why don't you take some time and draw stuff around your room? Maybe set up a still life or something. They may seem boring, but they're great exercises. I also recommend that you take out some time to study perspective. It can be useful in figure drawing as well as help your drawing skills improve in the process too. People are notoriously challenging. You should start with something simpler and work up to it.

Another thing I'm noticing--- don't worry about shading and smudging so much. It's time consuming and doesn't really make the piece look any more finished. If you insist on adding shadows and the like, then you'd be better off with almost any other shading technique such as hatching. Examples:
http://www.portrait-artist.org/basics/techniques.html

You may also do well to try a different medium. Have you ever used charcoal, for example? It is messy, but it's great for a lot of reasons. For one, you can smudge it all you want. It's very hands on. Also, you can't erase it. I see that a lot of artists spend too much time erasing their lines. I know I was guilty of it for quite some time. It's also good for just feeling confident about your lines.

Other than that, the best advice I can offer is to learn how to draw what you see. Don't draw what you THINK is there or what you KNOW is there. Just draw what your eye actually SEES. There's a difference, trust me. Our brains love to simplify things for us and turn them into symbols. We think we know what people look like since we see them every day. This is not the case. You can learn to draw people (and everything else) only through careful study and observation. It takes a lot of time and effort, but it's worthwhile in the end.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff