Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do I do with the food I give to spirits? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Shamanism of sorts.
Shaman is a title for a specific religious group in the same way the title of Druid was, just a heads up.
I was told it was just a word for any form of spirit worship gonk If I was mislead I truly apologise.
Quote:

As for Eclectic Paganism, seems to me that it would depend on the spirits. As Tsuzuki suggested, there's possession, the Asatru I know offer the spirit of the food and then consume the corporeal portion, some place it on moist soft earth, others leave it for animals who act as emissaries.
I'm thinking of getting a specific bowl and letting the animals come eat it. That sounds like the most sensible solution.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:17 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
If it isn't tied to a particular tradition, then perhaps whatever gets the best response from the spirits? I mean, there's nothing telling you "Don't do it this way" except, well, them.
True.  

Gho the Girl

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 am
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Shamanism of sorts.
Shaman is a title for a specific religious group in the same way the title of Druid was, just a heads up.
I was told it was just a word for any form of spirit worship gonk If I was mislead I truly apologise.

It happens, mostly because the english language lacks a similar word. Except perhaps 'spiritworker'.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:34 pm
Gho the Girl
No worries. It's a byproduct of Imperialistic Anthropology.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a specific bowl and letting the animals come eat it. That sounds like the most sensible solution.
You have your answer. mrgreen

What kind of bowl? Large? Small? Why a bowl? Why not a plate? What material? Any specific decorations? Any desire to make it by hand or embellish it by hand?  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:18 am
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
No worries. It's a byproduct of Imperialistic Anthropology.
Well at least I can blame someone else for myself for my mistakes 3nodding at least in my own mind.
Quote:

Quote:
You have your answer. mrgreen

What kind of bowl? Large? Small? Why a bowl? Why not a plate? What material? Any specific decorations? Any desire to make it by hand or embellish it by hand?
It needs to be washable, so that it would be reusable, and it needs to be earthy in appearance. I don't have any desire to embellish it at the moment, this may change if needed. I'd make it by hand, but I have nothing to make it with XP nor am I good at making things. Something clay or wooden, preferably clay, so when the animals chew it they don't chew the plate. Clay is also washable.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 am
At least the god fo Abraham covered the how of sacrificing to him exhaustively.

By no means the majority, but there are several gods who have animals that serve them... some of these animals are scavengers. ninja

What type of spirits are you making offerings to?  

Fiddlers Green

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:02 pm
Fiddlers Green
At least the god fo Abraham covered the how of sacrificing to him exhaustively.

By no means the majority, but there are several gods who have animals that serve them... some of these animals are scavengers. ninja

What type of spirits are you making offerings to?
I thought I explained all this in my path thread gonk maybe I didn't, or maybe nobody read it emo I know it's not especially well written but I wish people would take even just a little notice.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:15 pm
So, you want something earthy and made of clay. Doesn't have to be embellished, and you'd rather not do handmade right now. It has to be durable as an "outside" dish and stand up to curious wild animals.

May I recommend ceramic pet food dishes? When I kept rabbits, we got some heavy ceramic water bowls from PetsMart. They lasted as long as the rabbits did (8 years) with minimal wear. The dishes were outside year-round in temperatures ranging from -20F to 110F. Because they're heavy, it's hard for animals to overturn them. They often come in neutral, earthy colors.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 pm
mute_coyote
So, you want something earthy and made of clay. Doesn't have to be embellished, and you'd rather not do handmade right now. It has to be durable as an "outside" dish and stand up to curious wild animals.

May I recommend ceramic pet food dishes? When I kept rabbits, we got some heavy ceramic water bowls from PetsMart. They lasted as long as the rabbits did (8 years) with minimal wear. The dishes were outside year-round in temperatures ranging from -20F to 110F. Because they're heavy, it's hard for animals to overturn them. They often come in neutral, earthy colors.
Looks nice, thank you.

I have a very petit oval yellow clay dish, that sits in a woven basket. That'll be for the table, I can remove the little dish from it's pretty woven basket, and then place the food in a clay animal bowl like that. I'd want the food to be at the table when I eat, then to be moved outside into the clay bowl when I get one.

Thanks to all who posted, I found it all really helpful. 3nodding God and Goddess Bless (is that ok to say? gonk )  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 pm
Gho the Girl
It needs to be washable, so that it would be reusable, and it needs to be earthy in appearance. I don't have any desire to embellish it at the moment, this may change if needed. I'd make it by hand, but I have nothing to make it with XP nor am I good at making things. Something clay or wooden, preferably clay, so when the animals chew it they don't chew the plate. Clay is also washable.
Ever thought about going to one of those "decorate your own ceramics" places?  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Ever thought about going to one of those "decorate your own ceramics" places?
Ooo, there is one in the local plaza if I remember right/it hasn't been shut down since 6 months ago.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 pm
Gho the Girl
Ooo, there is one in the local plaza if I remember right/it hasn't been shut down since 6 months ago.
Decorate it with sacred symbols, colors etc? Maybe even write a prayer on the bottom?  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Decorate it with sacred symbols, colors etc? Maybe even write a prayer on the bottom?
That's what I was thinking actually 3nodding Now I just need to compose a good prayer and decide on which symbols.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:05 pm
Gho the Girl
That's what I was thinking actually 3nodding Now I just need to compose a good prayer and decide on which symbols.
What symbols and prayers have you used in the past?  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:11 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
What symbols and prayers have you used in the past?
Spirals, yin-yang, lightening bolt, eye of horus gonk I was a mish-mosh.

Usually, when I pray at the table, I simply say I'd like to honor at the table *insert spirits' names* say a few things about what's going on, where guidance is needed, and gratitude for things that were resolved, and end with "Let us celebrate those who are here, and remember those who have passed"

EDIT: I have this one symbol I made for myself and worship, but I don't use it that often, partially because I'm not sure exactly if it stands for me or if it's for something else.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff