Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Just what is a witch anyway? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:34 pm
too2sweet
Considering that most of the dictionary definitions I've seen say that "witchcraft is what witches do" (or some variation) and the definition that you gave for a witch is "someone that practices witchcraft" is it any wonder there might be some confusion. gonk

I think she is looking to see what each of us considers to be included in the practice of witchcraft (which from what I've seen in other threads where the topic has been raised, has varied), or at least that is how I took it (I could be wrong)

Yep. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Because it was easy to miss the first time around:

TeaDidikai
Before someone babbles on about how useless my point is- I have to say, the only thing that witches have in common is that they practice witchcraft.

There is no unified theology, there is no unified mythology as to their nature historically and no consensus as to the nature of modern witches- the summation as to what makes someone a witch is that they practice a style of magic considered to be witchcraft.

The problem with that generalization is that it cues up the unwashed masses to denounce everything from prayer to Ceremonial Magic as witchcraft- when this is clearly not the case.

So we compound linguistic origins with the meaning- since other traditions have their own names for those who practice magical arts and the arts themselves. We then add the root of the practice in the time the term was coined to get something that amounts to Western European Folk Magic, largely stemming from the popular culture of the peoples as opposed to the traditions of various cults and priesthoods and we begin to have an inkling of what should be considered witchcraft.

Extend it to the people who practice such things and you have a witch.

TeaDidikai

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:01 pm
So, are you saying that a witch is someone who practices a common form of Western European Folk Magic that has nothing to due with the religious institution of the area? Then wouldn't any regional traditions of the sort be considered witchcraft?
Or wait a minute, what styles of magic are considered withcraft?

Sorry, I'm a little confused. redface  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:09 pm
RubyLight
So, are you saying that a witch is someone who practices a common form of Western European Folk Magic that has nothing to due with the religious institution of the area? Then wouldn't any regional traditions of the sort be considered witchcraft?
Or wait a minute, what styles of magic are considered withcraft?

Sorry, I'm a little confused. redface
I noted the etymological distinction and I want to exclude traditions that have established proper names of their own.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:35 pm
I should figure out if my naming scheme right now is proper or not.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:09 pm
Okay, so what's a warlock?  

Tsuzuki

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm
A warlock is an oathbreaker, so it's not really a word one would want to use (or have others call them).  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm
too2sweet
A warlock is an oathbreaker, so it's not really a word one would want to use (or have others call them).
Is that the only origin of the word, or is it something that's been maligned, much like the word "witch" has? And if all it meant was "oathbreaker", why did it make the leap to "male witch"? Do men have a higher probability of breaking oaths?  

Tsuzuki

RubyLight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:19 am
TeaDidikai

So we compound linguistic origins with the meaning- since other traditions have their own names for those who practice magical arts and the arts themselves. We then add the root of the practice in the time the term was coined to get something that amounts to Western European Folk Magic, largely stemming from the popular culture of the peoples as opposed to the traditions of various cults and priesthoods and we begin to have an inkling of what should be considered witchcraft.

Okay, I think I got it. The practice of unnamed magical arts that stem from popular culture, family teachings, ect. Would that include personal unnamed techniques as well?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 pm
too2sweet

I did not know this. o_O  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 am
RubyLight

Okay, I think I got it. The practice of unnamed magical arts that stem from popular culture, family teachings, ect. Would that include personal unnamed techniques as well?
Ah, but which popular culture?

too2sweet
Unless said individual was proud of the oath broken.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:56 am
TeaDidikai
too2sweet
Unless said individual was proud of the oath broken.

Very true.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:09 am
too2sweet
Very true.
The reason I mention this is because the etymology stems from a period of conversion and likely was assigned to people who joined Christian traditions and then broke their Oaths to YHVH to practice their indigenous faiths (or more likely, simply were being slandered for not being "Christian").  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:51 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

Ah, but which popular culture?

Euopean, in this case.  

RubyLight

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:50 pm
RubyLight

Euopean, in this case.
3nodding Though I wouldn't limit it to "this case", since it's already a specific case in question. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff