Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Valentines day approacheth - do you boycott it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boycott Valentine's day?
  Yes
  No
  Not Sure
View Results

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 am
Sorry to rain on a hatred parade, but to all the single people here in the guild....

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, this holiday was created especially for you?

Rudolf Valenteno (the original romantigoth) was well known for his attention to the ladies of his day, while staying the most eligible bachelor in history. He did not spend exorbant ammounts of money on his intentions, rather he used his personality and rapier wit with a quill to entice and ensnare his lovers quite successfully...

lesson to be learned from the most successfull lover in history:

1. Fortune favors the bold. He did not shy away from the ladies, instead, he was very open about his feelings and complimented the ladies frequently and often.

2. The most simple gifts are often the most powerful. Rudolf wrote many many love letters (the valentine cards of his day) to his lovers with much success and vigor. You don't need to spend a fortune to make your point. You made valentine cards in kindergarden? Rediscover old skills, and dust off that unused creativity.

3. There is no failure, only the crime of not trying.
Valentino didn't let a little thing like rejection from getting in the way of his love and affection for the ladies. He was often rejected and scorned by the ladies, but he didn't let a little thing get him down...he just moved on to the next beautiful woman he spotted. Did I mention that he was VERY successfull?

4. Confidence in oneself is paramount to victory.
Go watch Shreck....if a 1 ton ogre can find love...so can you.

Valentines day was created to celebrate the death of a man who was truly addicted to love at any cost...So you see....this day was MADE for the Goth and those of dark inclinations.....enjoy your day!

p.s.

make a black heart shaped card (or whatever color suits your fancy), write simple words of love upon it, and give it to either someone you are attracted to, or a random complete stranger you may fancy, and walk away.....mission accomplished. If she follows, enjoy your success and have a marvelous day....
If she doesn't, it's no big deal...you still win...move on to the next target you like...lather, rinse, repeat.....enjoy your day anyway.

(don't get frustrated if she doesn't follow you, you probably just made her day with your "gift")

-You achieve nothing from being a coward.-
Rudolf Valentino  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 am
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
Its valentines day soon? damn, I forgot to get girlfriend again.
Yah I know.

I've been forgetting for years.
Now that I think of it, I've never had a girlfriend around Valentines...well, I guess technically I still have two girl friends since there was never any real break up...

Anyways, I have hard time finding girls I like, usually once a girl opens her mouth I stop liking her. I hate dumb people, thats my problem, why does the female race have to act like they have an I.Q. of 25? Intelligence is sexy, damnit, well so isn't a pretty face and nice rack, too bad those rarely go together.
My problem is that everyone sees me as "their friend" and everyone feels that taking things to another level would ruin that. The only group of people who display interest in me are teenage stalkers whos intelligence does not rival that of a table, older men, and strangers at airports, shops, and just about every place on the bloody planet but the ones that matter. stare

The female race? Don't you mean human race? confused
They're hard to find because they're all taken, that's the problem.
Good point, human race. And you are right, the few people I'm attracted to are all taken, damn them!

I would prefer to spend val. day alone anyways, as I like to do with my birthday. Its a me day, I like my me days.
"Me days" aren't bad. I like them. People should value them more.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16 am
Keevan, you are inspiring.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 am
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
Its valentines day soon? damn, I forgot to get girlfriend again.
Yah I know.

I've been forgetting for years.
Now that I think of it, I've never had a girlfriend around Valentines...well, I guess technically I still have two girl friends since there was never any real break up...

Anyways, I have hard time finding girls I like, usually once a girl opens her mouth I stop liking her. I hate dumb people, thats my problem, why does the female race have to act like they have an I.Q. of 25? Intelligence is sexy, damnit, well so isn't a pretty face and nice rack, too bad those rarely go together.
My problem is that everyone sees me as "their friend" and everyone feels that taking things to another level would ruin that. The only group of people who display interest in me are teenage stalkers whos intelligence does not rival that of a table, older men, and strangers at airports, shops, and just about every place on the bloody planet but the ones that matter. stare

Good point, human race. And you are right, the few people I'm attracted to are all taken, damn them!

I would prefer to spend val. day alone anyways, as I like to do with my birthday. Its a me day, I like my me days.
I love me days, but I almost never get them since I end up having to go to work or something I prefer days alone in the woods.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 am
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

I love me days, but I almost never get them since I end up having to go to work or something I prefer days alone in the woods.
You have forests there? eek

I love forests...I've always wanted to live in a place by a forest with many lakes. A place that got snow in winter and didn't get to hot in summer. A place where I could wander around for hours and just be by myself.

Sadly there are no such places here....*puts head down on the table and thinks for a while*

Scandinavia here I come....  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:32 am
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

I love forests...I've always wanted to live in a place by a forest with many lakes. A place that got snow in winter and didn't get to hot in summer. A place where I could wander around for hours and just be by myself.

Sadly there are no such places here....*puts head down on the table and thinks for a while*

That pretty much describes where I live except in the summer it gets about 95 degrees with some horrid humidity. The forests and woods are disappearing fast though, all the people from the city are moving here and tearing down everything, I ******** hate those people.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:35 am
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

That pretty much describes where I live except in the summer it gets about 95 degrees with some horrid humidity. The forests and woods are disappearing fast though, all the people from the city are moving here and tearing down everything, I ******** hate those people.
Where I live it can get up to 108, about an hour away from me it gets up to 120.

Those people are like...pathogens. The destroy what they need, but don't see it until it's too late, or don't see it at all. Then when it's all gone, everything falls down....It's horrible.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:42 am
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

Where I live it can get up to 108, about an hour away from me it gets up to 120.

Those people are like...pathogens. The destroy what they need, but don't see it until it's too late, or don't see it at all. Then when it's all gone, everything falls down....It's horrible.
It's gone to 108 here but the usual high is 98-95 degrees. Those people really bother me is that they don't know how things work in my 'neighborhood', the ways things usually work is if you have a problem you confront them but these people just call the cops, or who ever else that may get rid of the problem and such. I could tell you some wild stories about my neighbors and my family....  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

It's gone to 108 here but the usual high is 98-95 degrees. Those people really bother me is that they don't know how things work in my 'neighborhood', the ways things usually work is if you have a problem you confront them but these people just call the cops, or who ever else that may get rid of the problem and such. I could tell you some wild stories about my neighbors and my family....
See first I'd talk to the person and if we couldn't sort the problem out, then maybe the police if it were neccesary. You shouldn't waste the police's time with petty arguments over how loud you can listen to your music after 10 pm.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:06 am
Indeed. Though my neighbors aren't close enough to hear music unless it were cranked really high on some sort of really loud and big speakers. I was talking about other conflicts like...well I'll just tell you a story, a true story.

So when my parents first bought my house there was a family living out in a house in back of mine (about two acres away). This family was a real redneck kind of family, they spent all days drinking, shooting, dirtbiking/4wheeling, partying, etc. So anyways, the family living in my house before my parents moved in had closed our driveway off, because it used to be a road. So once my family moved in they thought they could scare us off like they did to the family who lived there before us, well lets say they made a huge mistake to try that.

So one day my dad had taken my sister, who was a baby at the time (she is older then me, so I wasn't born yet) to the store. On his return he opened his door and got out then went over to take my sister out, he was walking to the door of my house when a bullet buzzed by his head, followed by another one after it and then followed by another. He quickly rushed into my house and handed my sister to my mother then he ran to his guns and grabbed his AR-15. The bullets continued to soar through my yard coming from out behind my house.

So, while those drunken hillbillies shot into my yard my dad circled my yard quitely(my dad has been hunting dear since he was 11 so he is quite good at sneaking) and snuck into some bushes about 20 feet from the neighbors. Out of nowhere he popped out of the bushes and held his gun at the three 'children' (though they were all at least 20) and their father, and yelled "you shoot one more bullet into my yard and I swear I'll kill everyone of you and bury you in a pit of lime!"(there was a lot more swearing in there though). Everyone ran inside the house exept the father who bravely said "what kind of gun you got there?" all stupidly. The never shot into our yard again.

Well, they moved away, not because of that but because of many other occurances that ended similarly. No cops were involved and the problems were resolved.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Shadowed Intent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:40 am
I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you want to give the person a gift and don't just feel obliged to because it is Valentines day.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am
we dont celebrate valentines day in denmark..... sure, we know what it is, but no one cares about it..... to us, its just another day.  

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 am
I would like St. Valentine's better if it had more to do with St. Valentine. Especially the version I grew up with, which I just learned this morning was made up by Chaucer. So much for happy childhood memories.
The story as I heard it, which may be completely warped by the Victorians (who liked warping historical events into cute legends) goes something like this:
Valentine was a priest in either pre-christianized Rome or during the era of courtly love (who thought they were basing it on Rome anyway). There was a festival going on, which as I was told was called Saturnalia or Lupercalia (which most other sources say was celebrated nothing like this), in which young couples would pair off for a year. This did not amuse Valentine, and he rose a stink, so the people in charge decided that he ought to be locked up at least until the festival was over so he wouldn't ruin the party. Several small children, who were too young to go off pairing off for the festival anyway, took pity on Valentine, and dropped notes of platonic affection into his cell.
I admit, telling it now, it sounds rather like the watered-down version you'd tell a child.
Apparently this version is all Chaucer's fault, embroidered up by the Victorians. (An interesting Wikipedia article that may also be complete bunk) But still, when you compare this story to the modern practices it's fairly ironic; I mean a great deal of people hyperactively into Valentine's day, like the sinners in the story, do not celebrate it with the same lover as they did the year before.
(This is just like the bleeding hearts thread all over again, please trust that while these stories may not be remembered accurately, I am not making them up. Someone else did.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am
Bloody Loon
Call it by it's proper name please.

Happy ******** Single Awareness Day.

Please fall over into a ditch filled with spikes and menacing snapping turtles if you have a partner on this day. Signed: Everyone who can't find a relationship to save their mother's ovaries...

Sour grapes, hmm?

Keevan Draco
Sorry to rain on a hatred parade, but to all the single people here in the guild....

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, this holiday was created especially for you?

[...]

-You achieve nothing from being a coward.-
Rudolf Valentino

wink

Hey, somebody gets it.  

GilAskan
Crew

Midnite Blue Moon 888

Fluffy Vampire

9,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 am
For the first time ever, I actually have a reason to look forward to Valentine's Day. heart So no, I won't be boycotting it this year.

On the other hand, I don't expect my hubby to spend a ton on me either. A rose, some candy, a special dinner...just some kind of acknowledgement will be good for me. cool  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff