JKR is Getting Obvious: Regulus is R.A.B. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ode[2]sokka
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:18 pm
Or else stated that you don't care if you read spoilers. Though that hasn't come up yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:50 pm
Acidic Cynic
@Isoude - Don't worry about posting spoilers in white. If you're in the Guild you've read all the books.

Ok. xD

Just wasn't sure about the 'spoiler' policy. ninja

Little Miss Jax

CaptainJames

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:53 pm
Those are great theories. And yes, although it's never official until it's official, the thing about Ron is pretty cool. It's already been pointed out lots of times that Ron's jokes always come true, and that Ron has a a weird way of accidentally being right, so I'd say that really beefs up the Regulus argument.

By the way... Regulus Arcturus... King Arthur... that's brilliantly cool. Here's some more pointless research on that topic:

Quote:
Arthur has also been viewed as being the sun whose beneficient influence during the spring and summer fosters the flowering and fructification of vegetation. While at the time of the winter solstice he is the old decaying sun which is symbiolically killed and is then reborn.

Quote:
His association with the Wild Hunt was not the only association that Arthur had with death, for he was also said to have been transformed into a crow or a raven. These birds were regarded as foretelling the death of those warriors to whom they appeared.

Pointless stuff, except that Arthur has such a strong connection with death and rebirth. If Regulus' full name really is Regulus Arcturus, it can't have been total coicidence (knowing Rowling's style), so you'd expect some sort of Arthur reference to come up. Maybe.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:11 pm
Nearly ever peice of British or American literature has some refrence to Arthur. That's why I wish I knew more about the Arthurian legends.  

ode[2]sokka
Captain

Aquafinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:22 pm
RegulusofSlytherin
Nearly ever peice of British or American literature has some refrence to Arthur. That's why I wish I knew more about the Arthurian legends.
... my teacher mentioned that... do you think they'll be like a sword in the stone... although there was already one in a hat... soo.....  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:22 pm
I hope there's not a sword in the stone; that's an overused reference. However, I think you're on to something with the Sorting Hat/Gryffindor's sword thing. Only a true Gryffindor could pull out the sword. I never thought of it before.

((The avatar at the top of my screen keeps telling me I have a rare event, but it's not popping up! I want my trunk/box/whatever! *pouts*))  

Joie D

My Conscience
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:24 am
Here is an addition for you ^^

What’s to stop J.K. Rowling from introducing a new character for R.A.B.?

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2005/0705-edinburgh-ITVcubreporters.htm
Peter O'Brien for Easons Ireland - Are you going introduce any new characters in the final book?

JK Rowling: There will be some characters who you don't know particularly well, and there may be a couple of new characters, but nobody really major. You know pretty much the cast list by now.

We already know Regulus. J.K. Rowling said there won't be any major new characters. R.A.B.'s part will have to be big since he holds the last horcrux/knows about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:20 pm
My Conscience
Here is an addition for you ^^

What’s to stop J.K. Rowling from introducing a new character for R.A.B.?

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2005/0705-edinburgh-ITVcubreporters.htm
Peter O'Brien for Easons Ireland - Are you going introduce any new characters in the final book?

JK Rowling: There will be some characters who you don't know particularly well, and there may be a couple of new characters, but nobody really major. You know pretty much the cast list by now.

We already know Regulus. J.K. Rowling said there won't be any major new characters. R.A.B.'s part will have to be big since he holds the last horcrux/knows about it.
technically he RAB doesn't even have to be a major character i mean according to the note he destroyed the locket and we can't disprove that so really nothing says he will be a main character the only reason we'll learn more about him is because harry wants to know more about him....  

Aquafinn

Aci Dixinic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:36 am
Aquafinn
technically he RAB doesn't even have to be a major character i mean according to the note he destroyed the locket and we can't disprove that so really nothing says he will be a main character the only reason we'll learn more about him is because harry wants to know more about him...

Aquafinn, there is no such thing as a minor character in HP. There are Main characters, and Major characters.
EVERYONE MATTERS.
And R.A.B will most definitely be a major character.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:18 am
I saw this thread in the HP forum. The user has the Dutch translation and they said RAB came out RAZ.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11008865
Thread link, and while staying up for 24 hours and sleeping for 7, it now has two pages.

Here's the post:
GilraenCulnamo
This night at 12 pm, Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince came out in Dutch.

In Dutch Sirius Black is Sirius Zwarts. So if RAB Regulus A. Black is, in Dutch it would be RAZ; Regulus A. Zwarts. IT IS!!! xd

edit: It's also mentioned by Mugglenet (albeit an Arcturus-like disappearance)
and the Leaky Cauldron.  

flying_wings

5,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Market Browser 100

Aci Dixinic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:16 am
Okay, whos up for a bit of looking around in the Dutch language for a word that starts with 'b' for us and 'z' for them?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:29 am
*sleepily* Not it.

Did you know that R.A.B. is BAR backwards? [/random]  

ode[2]sokka
Captain

i_heart_ron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:08 pm
Acidic Cynic
Okay, whos up for a bit of looking around in the Dutch language for a word that starts with 'b' for us and 'z' for them?
BLACK!!!

(Zwart)

And guess what "Sirius Black" becomes in the Dutch ones?

siriuszwarts.com
Dutch PoA Review
All of Sirius' pseudonyms in international translations and transliterations
all characters' names in international editions, but from Immeritus  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:43 pm
According to the next to last link that i_heart_ron referenced to,
we get to wait for a few more translations before Regulus is cemented as R.A.B.

Sirius Zwarts - Dutch (check) -Dissendium/The Leaky Cauldron
Sirius Svaart - Norwegian (check) -Dissendium/The Leaky Cauldron
Sirius Schwarzes and Sirius Black - German
Nero Di Sirius and Sirius Black- Italian
Syriusz Black - Polish
Sirius Musta - Finnish
Sirius Chornee - Russian

So we have 3 languages in which Regulus works. English, Norwegian, and Dutch all work for Black/Svaart/Zwarts as the name for the last initial, supporting our theory.

*R.A.B.=R.A.Z.=R.A.S.*  

flying_wings

5,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Market Browser 100
Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers