Using God's name in Vain Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:50 am
freelance lover
Instead I say goofy sounding this like "Goodness gracious" of the one that makes everyone laugh "Holy mother of [insert whatever is frusterating me here]."

Except that they are still based in Christianity, especially the second which refers to Catholicism.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:25 am
You make good points. And "yehiy 'or" means "Let there be light". That's sort of a blasphemy, right?  

Galad Aglaron

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:06 am
Galad Damodred
You make good points. And "yehiy 'or" means "Let there be light". That's sort of a blasphemy, right?

Depends on your motives, I would say. If it's used comedically, I don't think it can be reasoned to be blasphemy. If it's contemptuous or self-seeking, then it's blasphemy.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 pm
Priestley
freelance lover
Instead I say goofy sounding this like "Goodness gracious" of the one that makes everyone laugh "Holy mother of [insert whatever is frusterating me here]."

Except that they are still based in Christianity, especially the second which refers to Catholicism.

I know the second one is a slight Christian reference, how does "Goodness gracious" refer to Christianity though? I know God is a gracious God, but a lot of things can be gracious.  

freelance lover
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:59 pm
fromthatshow
I don't think God cares what you say about him.
He does not have an ego like us so he cannot be offended!
What need would God have to defened Himself.
He is ultimate truth and love unconditional, which needs no defense and is endless and for everyone.

He doesn't care for His sake, but for ours. If we are saying offensive things about the One we're supposed to be representing, what does that say about us? That we're not very good representations of Christ. If we're not caring, we've obviously put up a wall somewhere between us and Him.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:42 am
Well then.. what else can we say instead of "Oh my God" or other "exclamations"?  

LadyAbiel

6,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Clambake 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 pm
LadyAbiel
Well then.. what else can we say instead of "Oh my God" or other "exclamations"?

Controlling one's tongue is one of the most difficult things to do. The idea is that we don't blaspheme, not that we find something acceptable to say as a replacement.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:35 am
Priestley
LadyAbiel

Controlling one's tongue is one of the most difficult things to do. The idea is that we don't blaspheme, not that we find something acceptable to say as a replacement.

Well I don't go around screaming "Jesus Christ", "Holy .... of God", or anything like that. I used to say "Oh my God" a lot, but I stopped a while ago and I'm still trying not to say it and I only use it when I actually need help.

But we still have to find something "acceptable" to say when we are surprised or when we want to say it instead.

Like what about "Oh my words", "Oh my days", "My oh my"? That is what I was talking about.  

LadyAbiel

6,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Clambake 200

Autie Lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
To do anything in vain means to do it without purpose or response. To study in vain is to study purposely, to study, even though you will not get a better grade on your test by doing so. To take God's name in vain is the same thing- to use His name without purpose or reason. When we call on God, it's alot like calling Him on the phone. If we're running around saying "oh my God oh my God", God is waiting for us to finish the prayer, since "oh my God" is the same as calling out His name (or calling Him on the phone, if we're continuing with the metaphor). The only time we should use God's name is if we are praying or discussing Him.

I agree! What a great way of explaining it. I have to really watch my words; my family all curse and use His name in vain a lot. It bugs me and I say so  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:08 pm
LadyAbiel
Priestley
LadyAbiel

Well I don't go around screaming "Jesus Christ", "Holy .... of God", or anything like that. I used to say "Oh my God" a lot, but I stopped a while ago and I'm still trying not to say it and I only use it when I actually need help.

But we still have to find something "acceptable" to say when we are surprised or when we want to say it instead.

Like what about "Oh my words", "Oh my days", "My oh my"? That is what I was talking about.

Why must we?

It's actually along the same lines as swearing on/by something, which Jesus said not to do. Speak plainly and simply, as your words should be from the Spirit.

Priestley

LadyAbiel

6,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:15 pm
I didn't mean it like that... ..

Anyways.. I was talking to my mom about it.. and she was saying that when she was younger, they used to say it all the time, for any reasons at all. And then when they learned that they shouldn't use his Name like that, they started making up words and started use them. Afterwards, they thought themselves not to use those words they invented as well, and used other sentences.. like "What? Really?", "Oh is that so?"

Do you see where I'm going?

I don't know how to explain what I mean sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 pm
Because the words themselves don't really matter, it's the intent. If I told you to go lick a doorknob in the same tone as telling you to stick something somewhere anatomically painful, the meaning isn't lost. It's just the words that are different. And you know what? You'd get just as mad at me for the doorknob comment as the sticking it comment, because, in essence, that's what I just told you. So instead of using Jesus Christ and saying Jeebus Cripes... isn't that essentially the same?  

Xandris

LadyAbiel

6,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 am
Xandris
Because the words themselves don't really matter, it's the intent. If I told you to go lick a doorknob in the same tone as telling you to stick something somewhere anatomically painful, the meaning isn't lost. It's just the words that are different. And you know what? You'd get just as mad at me for the doorknob comment as the sticking it comment, because, in essence, that's what I just told you. So instead of using Jesus Christ and saying Jeebus Cripes... isn't that essentially the same?

*sigh* I don't even know how to explain what I mean here crying

They did not change it like that, they invented completly different words to express what they were feeling towards different things that occured..

I give up sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:17 pm
LadyAbiel
Xandris

They did not change it like that, they invented completly different words to express what they were feeling towards different things that occured..

I give up sweatdrop

I do know what you mean. If something startles me, I usually make an unintelligible single-syllabled noise. Personally I think that is instinctual and carries over from primal times. Many animals make a noise when startled. To go as far as to have to have something to say to express extreme shock or disbelief or something just shows to me a lack of self-control or an inability to express one's feelings appropriately.  

Priestley

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:40 pm
Priestley
LadyAbiel
Xandris

I give up sweatdrop

I do know what you mean. If something startles me, I usually make an unintelligible single-syllabled noise. Personally I think that is instinctual and carries over from primal times. Many animals make a noise when startled. To go as far as to have to have something to say to express extreme shock or disbelief or something just shows to me a lack of self-control or an inability to express one's feelings appropriately.
But the logic you seem to be using, even that little noise expresses the same thing as any words you might be utter. The same intent is there.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff