Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Closed Culture/Open Culture Pantheons Which is which? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:51 am
*head scratch*

I knew the gaelic pantheon was closed, but what about other celtic pantheons? I never really thought about that before.

Some mesopotamian pantheons are open. Thats all I know of them though, I'm afraid.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 am
As Tea said, the Egyptian deities are also pretty open, but try to approach Them on Their turf. If you're calling on Isis in a Tameran ritual, or Hermes Trismegustus in a Hermetic ritual, you're not going to get the Aset and Djehuty I know.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 am
patch99329

I knew the gaelic pantheon was closed, but what about other celtic pantheons? I never really thought about that before.
Not familiar. While it isn't likely to be spelled out in the same way- my suspicion is that of the different cultures of the Celts, there were cultural expectations that made one a Celt- something that is usually a function of obligation compounded by practicality.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:52 am
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

You're more than qualified yourself. redface
If you ask the right questions and put in the research, you could turn this thread into such a list yourself. Or start a new one.

Really, you think so? xd Well, I'll use this one for questions for sure, and when I get some more information. I'll put it in the pathways section.  

RubyLight

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am
RubyLight
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

If you ask the right questions and put in the research, you could turn this thread into such a list yourself. Or start a new one.

Really, you think so? xd Well, I'll use this one for questions for sure, and when I get some more information. I'll put it in the pathways section.
Won't belong in the Pathways Forum. Pathways is dedicated to individual paths.

Just post it here.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38 am
Ruby are you only asking about pantheons (and therefore gods/goddesses?) or about other forms of spiritual beings that possess sentience too?

If I'm misunderstanding the meaning of pantheon, then someone please correct me.  

Recursive Paradox

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:57 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

Won't belong in the Pathways Forum. Pathways is dedicated to individual paths.

Just post it here.

Okay, I will. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:58 pm
Recursive Paradox
Ruby are you only asking about pantheons (and therefore gods/goddesses?) or about other forms of spiritual beings that possess sentience too?

If I'm misunderstanding the meaning of pantheon, then someone please correct me.

By pantheon, I mean Gods/Goddesses for the most part, but it also includes spiritual beings of that culture.  

RubyLight

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Tea, what is Rroma?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:40 pm
To my knowledge, a lot of Native American pantheons are closed or semi-closed. It gets a bit widgy, here at least, due to disagreements within tribes and between tribes over what is closed and not closed. A Zuni friend of mine accuses the Navajo of being a bunch of culture-rapists, for example.

And some of the more commonly-shared figures are not so much closed, I think, as either they have something to do with you or they don't. You don't exactly call on Coyote and expect him to show up, but he's plenty happy messing around with everyone, non-natives included.  

TatteredAngel

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:51 pm
RubyLight
Recursive Paradox

By pantheon, I mean Gods/Goddesses for the most part, but it also includes spiritual beings of that culture.

I see.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:10 pm
RubyLight
Tea, what is Rroma?
~twitch~

Sorry. Habit.

The Rroma are the ethnic group that migrated out of Northern India within the last one thousand years. They're commonly referred to as "Gypsies", but that's an ethnic slur.  

TeaDidikai

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:48 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight
Tea, what is Rroma?
~twitch~

Sorry. Habit.

The Rroma are the ethnic group that migrated out of Northern India within the last one thousand years. They're commonly referred to as "Gypsies", but that's an ethnic slur.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. sweatdrop Is there any way to explain it on the list without dropping the G word?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:43 pm
RubyLight
TeaDidikai
RubyLight
Tea, what is Rroma?
~twitch~

Sorry. Habit.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. sweatdrop Is there any way to explain it on the list without dropping the G word?
Typically no. ~shrugs~  

TeaDidikai

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:12 pm
That sucks. Well, I'm going to start the thread with the information I have so far and use this one for data collection. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, for research on my own, because of school. Any sources and information would be apprecuated. 3nodding

@Tea, if the G word offends you. I'll take it off the thread.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff