Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Several Questions on fantasy and witchcraft Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:38 pm
Priestley
God also has a sense of humour.

Mmhmm. He has to. Otherwise there'd be a lot more smiting going on in the world. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:04 am
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie
Hmm, these are all good points.
God's fun in that way, anything can remind you of him, or make you think about God. (I was watching the Colbert Report and he was doing a Segment on Yahweh or Noweh. I know it was supposed to be funny, but it really reminded me to read my bible more.)

You know, there's an entire Commandment about God's Name...

Well, then, He sure did a one-eighty somewhere in the gap between the Testaments.  

Galad Aglaron

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:12 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie
God's fun in that way, anything can remind you of him, or make you think about God. (I was watching the Colbert Report and he was doing a Segment on Yahweh or Noweh. I know it was supposed to be funny, but it really reminded me to read my bible more.)

Well, then, He sure did a one-eighty somewhere in the gap between the Testaments.

What do you mean? Obviously anyone who would pull such an awesome "Sike!" moment on Abraham has to have a sense of humor.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie

True to boot. Once God said something funny to a pastor of a church when he was preaching.  

RekaG

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:02 pm
zz1000zz
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie

What do you mean? Obviously anyone who would pull such an awesome "Sike!" moment on Abraham has to have a sense of humor.

With Isaac, you mean? I thought that was just cruel.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm
Galad Damodred
zz1000zz
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie

You just need to work on your sense of humor then.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 am
Galad Damodred
zz1000zz
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie

"Hah! You totally thought I was one of THOSE gods. Wow, I got you good. Here, have a ram so you don't feel bad."  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:29 am
Priestley
Galad Damodred
zz1000zz
Galad Damodred
Priestley

"Hah! You totally thought I was one of THOSE gods. Wow, I got you good. Here, have a ram so you don't feel bad."

The LORD demands obedience. If He demanded you to sacrifice that which was most precious to you in all the world, would you obey? Or would you reject Him, saying that He was not the God you worshiped?  

Galad Aglaron

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:31 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
zz1000zz
Galad Damodred
Priestley

The LORD demands obedience. If He demanded you to sacrifice that which was most precious to you in all the world, would you obey? Or would you reject Him, saying that He was not the God you worshiped?

I believe that God wouldn't put anyone in that position again. If He did, I would seriously question the sources that have convinced me otherwise. I would ask for the reasons why He would ask me to do such a thing.

If God wanted to prove a point to Satan, sure, I'd obey. If He was doing it to be intentionally cruel, I'd probably do away with my faith.

By the way, I was kidding, you know, by using my sense of humour. Shall we get back onto the topic of witchcraft?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:59 pm
This is the thing I have the most trouble with in my faith journey.

Most of my friends are not Christian and I really can't will myself to try and force God onto them. I just tell them what He has done for me and hope they will someday except him. One of my best friends is a Wicca. I often wonder if God will frown upon her for it at her judgment or if he will be angry with me for associating with her. When I was younger I used to believe in "earth's magic" I did unthinkable acts in the name of an imaginary god but I have repented but i still wonder if that will also be held against me. I read somewhere that "Christians were sheep and others were goats. There are mean sheep and good-hearted goats but Jesus will know the difference and will punish the goats."

I figure that god will honor those who lived their life well even if they didn't necessarily do it in the name of Jesus.
Thank you for considering what i have to say. Please no flaming me.  

Evalyne Peirs

Devout Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Megathread 100

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:06 pm
You can't be frowned upon for associating with her. Look at who Jesus associated Himself with. Prostitutes. Unethical tax collectors. Adulterers. By hanging out with your friend and sharing what God has done for you with her, you are doing exactly what Jesus did. There's no offense in that.

However, as for God's opinion of your friend, I can't say for sure. If He were to judge her now, He probably wouldn't be too pleased. But she still has time (though how much time, no one knows- we should all live as if this moment is our last moment) to have a change of heart and realize what she's doing, and realize the Truth. If that happens, God will totally ignore everything she's done until then. Her past sins, like yours with the earth magic stuff, like everyone's, will be unacknowledged, except to be forgiven.

Quote:
I figure that god will honor those who lived their life well even if they didn't necessarily do it in the name of Jesus.

There is no other Name but His. His is the Name above all other names. However, I feel that people can obey and follow Jesus, and live up to His standards without realizing they are doing so. How God will judge them, only He knows. I'd like to think they get a little bit of consideration, since they loved God through their actions and loved their neighbors as Jesus commanded, though they didn't realize Who had commanded it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:31 pm
Evalyne Peirs
This is the thing I have the most trouble with in my faith journey.

Most of my friends are not Christian and I really can't will myself to try and force God onto them. I just tell them what He has done for me and hope they will someday except him. One of my best friends is a Wicca. I often wonder if God will frown upon her for it at her judgment or if he will be angry with me for associating with her. When I was younger I used to believe in "earth's magic" I did unthinkable acts in the name of an imaginary god but I have repented but i still wonder if that will also be held against me. I read somewhere that "Christians were sheep and others were goats. There are mean sheep and good-hearted goats but Jesus will know the difference and will punish the goats."

You do more good for her by being a friend than by trying to bring her to God anyway. People see that as an offense. But if you do good things, and do them in the name of God, they have a chance of following.

Quote:
Thank you for considering what i have to say. Please no flaming me.

You know, I've always wondered about the "Anonymous Christian". The one who denies, and at a certain level believes their own denial. But somewhere, deep inside, they do accept God. I've seen this in myself and other people anyway.

So remember, they might be doing it in the name of Jesus anyway. They just haven't really fully come to realize it.

I remember a couple years ago, I realized I was praying to Jesus for help despite the fact that I had given up on him before. It was strange.

Anyway, I play Dungeons and Dragons. I read Fantasy. Heck, I WRITE fantasy. I recently wrote a story about people selling Mermaid Fetuses. It's all just stories in the long run. Harry Potter is a nice little story about Heroism, and doing the right thing (even if it goes against the rules now and again). Kids who aspire to be like Harry Potter want to be heroes, like him. I think that's what we have to remember about our Stories... The lessons we learn from them, not the magic, not the fights, violence, ect. But the things that build our character.

When we were younger, how many of us wanted to be Superheroes? I STILL want to be a Superhero, because that's the type of selfless person I want to become.  

Matt Pniewski

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:40 pm
Jesus = ultimate superhero?? lol  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:25 am
Fushigi na Butterfly

Jesusman will love the hell out of you whether you want him to or not!  

Priestley

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:41 am
Fushigi na Butterfly

Not what I meant, but you know us college students. Find two fat guys with long hair and goatees, and eventually there will be a Jesus vs. Superman debate.

Not saying it's right, I'm saying were stupid.

There is also the rule that for polite conversation, you don't talk about Politics, Religion, or Superman.

My point was in all literature, the point is not what happens in them, but the message and morals behind them. And, of course, how strongly those morals resonate. My Superhero comments were based around how I'm one of the few comic book geeks who looks at Heroes from a different perspective. There are grand, mythic qualities to them. Dennis ONeil (who wrote my favorite Comic Ever, the "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" special "Snowbirds Don't Fly) said that Comic Books are a contemperary mythology, and we should be able to derive the same lessons we do out of any good myth.

I say there is nothing wrong with aspire to have the strong sense of social justice as the Green Arrow, or have the need to prove oneself like Hellboy, or have the conviction of Superman.

Or the Determination of Harry Potter.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces