Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 am
Ixor-san
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
I love the smell of zeal in the morning. Really goes well with the scent of rancid asparagus.

That's quite enough.

The OP is questioning the integrity of Christians as a whole and effectively accusing y'all of debauchery and complacency.

There's no need to make an issue out of it. I'm able to look past the accusatory finger and see a semblance of love in the message. It's right that Christians should have a wake up call now and again.

The guild is a place where people come to be loved. Your first post expressed contempt for the OP. Consider this a warning.

You know, tact is really just not saying what's really on your mind.
No, that's political correctness. Tact is saying what's on your mind in a way that is non-accusatory and fair to both parties.

Oh.

I still don't find it very appealing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 pm
Galad Damodred
Ixor-san
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

The OP is questioning the integrity of Christians as a whole and effectively accusing y'all of debauchery and complacency.

There's no need to make an issue out of it. I'm able to look past the accusatory finger and see a semblance of love in the message. It's right that Christians should have a wake up call now and again.

The guild is a place where people come to be loved. Your first post expressed contempt for the OP. Consider this a warning.

No, that's political correctness. Tact is saying what's on your mind in a way that is non-accusatory and fair to both parties.

Oh.

And that was much more tactful. 3nodding

I also have to rather agree with you there.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 pm
Ixor-san
Galad Damodred
Ixor-san
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

Oh.

Neither of you like zeal?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:59 pm
Priestley
Ixor-san
Galad Damodred
Ixor-san
Galad Damodred

Oh.

Neither of you like zeal?
It's fine if used in the right circumstances. Like if a person is actually giving a sermon or in the act of worshipping.

When used in the act of trying to set a person straight when you think they are doing wrong, it tends to simply come across as accusatory and condescending. It makes people uncomfortable and actually makes them less willing to listen to what you have to say. Not that I'm saying that making a person uncomfortable is something we shouldn't do. But it should come from something in their own hearts, not from the approach a person uses to point out the things they need to change.

Zeal, in and of itself, isn't bad. I'm just bothered by the way people use it sometimes.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:08 pm
I think the major point that Yayoi is trying to make is that we can never be working too hard to make ourselves closer to Christ and allowing Christ to live through us in order to bring His Kingdom closer. Of course, we will never reach that level of perfection, that standard, because none of us is God. But the achievement isn't the point- it's the process, the sanctification. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:01 pm
Thank you Fushigi. But you guys aren't listening. I'm not doing this to turn people away, or to hurt their feelings, it's to give them a wake up call. Not to force people into anything, beacuse I CAN'T! But to us a reality check. Sometimes we need to hear these things. And I put this up just as much for me as I did for you. I just think it's time we do more. Paul never tried to make people feel good. This isn't about feeling good, because whether we wan't to beleive it or not, the truth hurts. And by no means am I comparing myself to Paul, but it's just the principle, and... It's biblical. Biblical in a sense that we are to do more than just sit on the sidelines and be complacent with where we are. It's just like Fushigi said, the process of sanctification. That doesn't mean saying, "I am saved and happy with where I am, so I don't have to go and share what I know with others because it may hurt their feelings or pride. Besides, who am I to tell them they're wrong." Well, it is our duty to help those who need it. You wouldn't smile and wave and then continue walking if you saw someone in a burning building trying to find a way out, would you? Well we do that all the time, especially today with those who are lost. Be honest, though. If I hadn't put this up, would you really have even thought about this?  

Arroe Kitsu

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:27 pm
You're right. People don't like to be told what to do even if it is the better way of doing things. Even the idea of having to be told what one should(n't) do and how one should(n't) do it offends the people being told.

As I was saying before, I read the original post in the thread and was instantly offended for no good reason. Then I noticed a typical reaction: one starts nitpicking at things regarding "unnecessary punctuation and capitalisation" and zeal, like in this thread. The better thing for readers of your message to do is to accept it for what it is, not poke holes in it in some effort to reduce its impact.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:27 pm
It's like the difference that had to pointed out between political correctness and tact. You have to be careful what you say. You can use strong words to get a person's attention, just be mindful of the impression that they give. Say what you mean, but do it in a manner that isn't accusatory. You can be firm, but you should be loving. The original post isn't particularly inspiring. It really came off as rather accusatory.

And I personally spend more time thinking things over than you seem to be giving people credit for, I assure you.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:52 pm
Ixor-san
It's like the difference that had to pointed out between political correctness and tact. You have to be careful what you say. You can use strong words to get a person's attention, just be mindful of the impression that they give. Say what you mean, but do it in a manner that isn't accusatory. You can be firm, but you should be loving. The original post isn't particularly inspiring. It really came off as rather accusatory.

It's entirely subjective. As I said, on first read I was offended. On a second read, I realised it wasn't personal and I wasn't offended in the least. While a person can choose the kind of language they use and the way in which they express it in their message, equally, the hearers of that word can control their reaction and receptiveness to it.

Ixor-san
And I personally spend more time thinking things over than you seem to be giving people credit for, I assure you.

I'll let this hypocrisy slide. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:36 pm
Priestley
Ixor-san

It's entirely subjective. As I said, on first read I was offended. On a second read, I realised it wasn't personal and I wasn't offended in the least. While a person can choose the kind of language they use and the way in which they express it in their message, equally, the hearers of that word can control their reaction and receptiveness to it.

Ixor-san

I'll let this hypocrisy slide. wink
To the first: I'd say it's a shared responsibility. True, a person can choose how they recieve a message and some people are really just far too easily offended. But throwing around unfounded accusations is not the way to win souls or encourage our brothers and sisters.

To the second: Scusie? Shall I rephrase that? Ok, fine. Yes, I would have thought about it without the little reminder. I think a lot. Sometimes I wish I could stop, even >_<

*grumbles about insomnia*

Anywho...I just might start a new thread on this. We may be getting a ways off track O_o

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Arroe Kitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:26 pm
Maybe I came off a little to forward in the first post, but sometimes being forward is the right approach. Even if it offends. The turth can hurt offend sometimes. But my whole thing is that, I just REALLY want us Christians to step up. That's what This guild is about, isn't it? Being unashamed to speak the truth even if it hurts. Christ said " I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE, NO ONE can come to the father EXCEPT THROUGH ME." John 14:6. Fact is, that statement offends plenty of people. But it IS THE TRUTH. If it comes off accusatory, that's because it is. I am accusing us BELEIVERS of not doing our job. (AGAIN I INCLUDE MYSELF IN THIS.) But if you do these things, and are a much better at doing them than I am, please help me. Encourage me to do better, and our other brothers and sisters as well.
I really am just tired of being complacent. It's hard but if we claim God's inheritance and truth, then we are COMMANDED to do these things. And He gives us the tools to do so. Your right, I should do it in love. I am writing this because I care. Because I want people to know so they don't go to hell, and also so that we start living up to our name. Do you know how bad people think of us?

>"Brothers, even if a man is caught in some fault, you who are spiritual must restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; looking to yourself so that you also aren't tempted." Galatians 6:1
>"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit..." Matt 28:19
>"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17
>"And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23
>"Do not love the world nor the things of the world. If any man loves the world the love of the Father is not in him. For the things of the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust lust of the eyes, and the boastful pride of life, are passing away, and also it's lusts. But the one who does the will of the Father abides forever.' 1 John 2:15-17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 pm
One reason people think badly of us is because we come across as pushy. Which is why we shouldn't. It's not being complacent, it's being prudent so that we don't turn a person off of our message before we're even finished talking. In you're first post, you made an acusation that we, in this guild, are guilty of complacency. But what do you know about what we do when we are afk? Some of us are very involved in the cause. And blaming the state of the world on those that could stand to be moreso really doesn't tend to inspire. It just makes people feel a bit worthless and want to go crawl even further into their hole. Not to mention, is a little bit unfair and un-called for.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:52 pm
Sometimes the only way to get through to peaple is to be pushy but you need to push just right push to hard or to soft you do nothing but get that perfect balance and you make a big differance you just need to do it correctly. I agree he pushed a bit hard in his first post but he pushed hard enough to get through what is needed to get through (at least for me) i think this is what our problem is peaple look at us and see us groaning and moaning and complaining amongst ourselves they say Glad im not a Christian my religion is much nicer. They dont want to be christian so we need to get the message through to them if they dont listen break out the good old holly sword and say a few verses it will help alot from what ive seen it helps if you have someone (like a friend or pastor) with you to help but if your on your own do what you can invite them to a church service it should get the message through  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:51 am
Curse of the Phoneix
I agree he pushed a bit hard in his first post but he pushed hard enough to get through what is needed to get through (at least for me)

First of all, Im a girl, but thanks for the back up.
Second,
Ixor-san
One reason people think badly of us is because we come across as pushy. Which is why we shouldn't. It's not being complacent, it's being prudent so that we don't turn a person off of our message before we're even finished talking. In you're first post, you made an acusation that we, in this guild, are guilty of complacency. But what do you know about what we do when we are afk? Some of us are very involved in the cause. And blaming the state of the world on those that could stand to be moreso really doesn't tend to inspire. It just makes people feel a bit worthless and want to go crawl even further into their hole. Not to mention, is a little bit unfair and un-called for.

Like I said, if you do those things better than myself, please help me! But it was more than a call about witnessing, which I greatly applaud you for if you do, but just the engeneral concept of Christianity. Spending time with our Lord and living like He did and expects us to. I find that that is THE HARDEST for me to do. I am no more accusing everyone else of this than myself. But i just am tired of when people hear the word Christian, or they ask you if you are one and you say yes, they cringe. That is so sad. They should want to know what's different about us, and should see it. But it's our (MY) own fault they don't.  

Arroe Kitsu

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:15 pm
Yayoi Sanzein
Maybe I came off a little to forward in the first post, but sometimes being forward is the right approach. Even if it offends. The turth can hurt offend sometimes. But my whole thing is that, I just REALLY want us Christians to step up. That's what This guild is about, isn't it? Being unashamed to speak the truth even if it hurts. Christ said " I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE, NO ONE can come to the father EXCEPT THROUGH ME." John 14:6. Fact is, that statement offends plenty of people. But it IS THE TRUTH. If it comes off accusatory, that's because it is. I am accusing us BELEIVERS of not doing our job. (AGAIN I INCLUDE MYSELF IN THIS.) But if you do these things, and are a much better at doing them than I am, please help me. Encourage me to do better, and our other brothers and sisters as well.
I really am just tired of being complacent. It's hard but if we claim God's inheritance and truth, then we are COMMANDED to do these things. And He gives us the tools to do so. Your right, I should do it in love. I am writing this because I care. Because I want people to know so they don't go to hell, and also so that we start living up to our name. Do you know how bad people think of us?

>"Brothers, even if a man is caught in some fault, you who are spiritual must restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; looking to yourself so that you also aren't tempted." Galatians 6:1
>"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit..." Matt 28:19
>"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17
>"And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23
>"Do not love the world nor the things of the world. If any man loves the world the love of the Father is not in him. For the things of the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust lust of the eyes, and the boastful pride of life, are passing away, and also it's lusts. But the one who does the will of the Father abides forever.' 1 John 2:15-17

This gets your point across much more clearly. I understand what you're trying to do, and commend you for it. I think God appoints a few of us to be leaders, rally-ers, the people who get up and get people on fire. The fact of the matter is that we can never be doing too much. There is no way on this earth that we can ever serve God fully, ever follow His expectations fully, ever be out there enough. We're so limited in our ability as human beings, but it's the spark that drives us forward that sets us apart. The spark that is the flame of the Holy Spirit that says, "Yes! I wanna get out there! I wanna do more! And you! My sisters and brothers! I don't care if you're a missionary in Uganda! I don't care if you're running the local soup kitchens! I don't care if you're reading from the Bible on a poor neighborhood corner! We are all serving the LORD and that is amazing! But let's do more! Let's tell the whole city! Let's branch out to the homeless shelters! Let's get all of Africa! Let's tell the universe what we know!" We do so much with the little we have, and to God it is the greatest of all offerings, but it will never be enough for us- it shouldn't be enough. We should always want to do more.

And I think that's what you're trying to say. 3nodding

Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces