READING!!!?
  love it
  hate it
  complete bowdlerizer
  don't read
View Results

Jelai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:34 pm
I used to like reading. I was into all that Dr. Seuss stuff when I was young, lol. then I started to hate reading because my English wasn't great back then and I had a hard time with comprehension. Then after discovering the world of fanfiction and manga, I started to like reading again. After reading this amazing original but anime-insipred vampire fiction, I got more interested in reading and have delved deeply into the vampire romance genre. then I go tired after that because of the vampire fics I read on Quizilla got crappy and cliched so I moved on to OX/you-as-OC/you x character romance. They also have original character x you/OC/you-as-OC romance on Quizilla. it's sorta complicated, but basically, most of the stories on Quizilla are second-person role-play type stories. it was interesting for a while until the n00b Mary Sue-authors and copycats/stealers invaded Quizilla.

The vampire genre has also become crap nowadays, thanks to people like Stephanie Meyer (complete Sue-author) and probably Anne Rice (for starting the whole sexy Gary Stu I'm-not-bad-but-I-am-so-emo vampire thing). I do like Anne Rice's early work though; much better than her later works.

I haven't read much actual novels so my favorites are limited, but since I am regaining my interest in reading, I will be reading more novels in the future. as for favorites, I like:

Harry Potter series
Interview With the Vamprie
The Vampire Lestat
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Hellsing
The Wallflower

books that I have read that I like and are good reads, but not exactly my favorites:

Night (really good book about the holocaust)
Fahrenheit 451 (really good book about what happens if books were banned or less valued by society; coicidentally, hauntingly, and uncannily parallels to what is happening to society right now, literature-wise)
The Great Gatsby
The Awakening
Stargirl
Jane Eyre
Princess in Love
A Wrinkle in Time

books that people have recommended to me:

Let the Right One In (I heard that it's the best vampire book to have surfaced contemporary litereature in years, ad is more deserving of the spotlight than Twilight. The movie adaption is certainly as good as the book and much better than the Twilight movie; very hauntingly artistic and deep)
1984 (a great book about society being controlled under a totalitatrian government)
Undead and Unwed
any of the Bronte sisters' novels
any of Jane Austen's novels
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Brave New World (another book about dystopian society)
Diary of Anne Frank
Memoirs of a Geisha
A Child Called "It" (really sad book, but is definitely a wake-up call; a must read)
The Alchemist
Bleach, Death Note, Trinity Blood, uhh that one manga that got turned into a TV Drama (Meteor Garden)...and uhh a bunch of other manga that I can't remember right now xD;

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 am
LOL, being somebody who adores fantasy, my favorite book has to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I think it's the best in the series.

Other books I also recommend are:
Flowers for Algernon
Animal Farm
The Outsiders
Ender's Game
Inkheart
A Series of Unfortunate Events
(Kinda childish, but still fun to read)

[F]lavor.of.[L]ife

DancingCherryBerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:42 pm
To be completely honest, I've read so many books, I can hardly make out with I love and hate. >.>"

So, I really have none. The Harry Potter series was great. Twilight saga, meh. (I still don't get why girls/guys obsess over it)... stare Anyways, umm I just read some book from Lois Duncan. Shes a good writer!

Mm, suspense ftw!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 am
atm i lovee the kite runner by khaled hosseini
it had just the right amount of sadism. >;B

other reads i enjoyed:
confessions of a mask
howls moving castle
la nausée
scar tissue
to kill a mockingbird
the alchemist
the silence of the lambs
the talented mr. ripley
angels in iron
i guess stephen king books as well

and don't even get me started on mangas..:0

Ruby Red Lipz

kyoslove74

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:26 pm
I don't rember the title of this book I think the author is joanne neil its a book about a mermaid that falls in love with a human . no it is not the little mermaid.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 pm
DancingCherryBerry
To be completely honest, I've read so many books, I can hardly make out with I love and hate. >.>"

So, I really have none. The Harry Potter series was great. Twilight saga, meh. (I still don't get why girls/guys obsess over it)... stare Anyways, umm I just read some book from Lois Duncan. Shes a good writer!

Mm, suspense ftw!

me 2!!!!!!!!! except i remember my favorite ones.
i just can't remember the author. there are too many of them  

x_iwolfe

Lunar_Winter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:54 pm
It's kinda hard to say what's my favorite book. I read a lot of books, and there are so many good ones, but there's none that really stand out from the rest. Though, I have to say Angels and Demons by Dan Brown was absolutely amazing. ^___^  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:46 pm
Centaurion
I adore Thief Lord, but my favourite is Les Miserables. you shouldn't let the size daunt you. it's a classic for a reason.

i like les miserables too
i read it in english for an assignment but it was the abridge version.
i'm currently reading don quixote and it's freakin awesome. It's insanely hilarious. XD the man's so crazy LOL
but i want to read the full unabridged version of les miserables (maybe after i finish don quixote lol)  

freekiladie

Lucian I the Exempt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:53 pm
Azirru
All Haruki Murukami books

Absolutely.

It would be impossible & annoying for me to pick just one, so I'll settle with picking five:

I - Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon
II - House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
III - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Muruakami
IV - Gravitys Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
V - Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden

I will submit the fact that you should all read anything by Thomas Pynchon.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:13 pm
[F]lavor.of.[L]ife
LOL, being somebody who adores fantasy, my favorite book has to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I think it's the best in the series.

Flowers for Algernon
Animal Farm
The Outsiders
Ender's Game
Inkheart

flowers for algernon was that weirdest movie ever. we had to watch it in class  

x_iwolfe

Sumire chan_pandagurl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:29 pm
[F]lavor.of.[L]ife

Flowers for Algernon
Animal Farm
The Outsiders
Ender's Game
Inkheart

i've read flowers for algernon..was really good, & <3 ender's game, i'm working on reading the rest of the series...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:37 pm
Oh God, book forum. -froths-

What I Saw and How I Lied (It sounds dumb, but I loved it.)
Speak
Chasing Redbird
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Twilight Trilogy (LOL)
Heaven Looks a Lot like the mall (I know it sound really girly and useless, but it was very good. Provocative.)
Gemme Doyle Trilogy (This was amazing.)
Goddess of Yesterday (Read this. Totally different from Cooney's other books.)

I can't think of any others right now, but this doesn't even make a dent in my reading list. > >

anime_tomboi

Eli_dude2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:52 pm
id hafta choose between Brisingr, Dracula, and Confessions of a crap-artist

actually my favorite waas CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 pm
Deffinitely manga! Vampire knight is good! D gray man's good too ^^

As for books. The Count of Monte Cristo  

amu_chan0

AiNinaMa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 pm
I loved The Thief Lord! I've read several books and I can't remember all of them. Some recent books I read that I found rather nice include:
The Hot Zone (bit morbid)
Books by Kate Brian (intriguing)
The House of Night series (entertaining)
Vampire Academy series (adoring)
I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You series (long title/sweet)

Somehow I can't think of any others at the moment...

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff