Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Liebe Thelema

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:59 pm
[Your Worst Nightmare]
ORLY? I thought she was gorgeous.

Oh, and I have a question for you guys. I noticed some of the characters looked/sounded like real musicians of the late sixties.. anyone else see it or am I crazy?

Jo-Jo = Jimi Hendrix
Sadie = Janis Joplin
Dr. Robert = John Lennon

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for with those characters. Except, I think Dr. Robert was based on Ken Kesey, not John Lennon. Although Kesey wasn't a musician, he was one of the first people to start using acid as a recreational drug, and he took a group of his friends on a bus from California to New York to see Timothy Leary (or in Across the Universe, Dr. Geary), to have this great meeting of minds and discuss acid. However, like in the movie, the meeting didn't turn out so well.
Anyway, besides the bus, I think the biggest giveaway about Dr. Robert is the cowboy hat- I dunno, that's just so Ken Kesey to me.
Okay, 60's lecture over now. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:42 pm
Ohh! That makes sense, seeing as Ken Kesey was an author, as was Dr. Robert. I thought John at first because of the glasses, and his choice of song. XD Plus, before he starts to sing, he taps a stack of his books... and the cover art on them resembles this picture of John.

User Image

Still, your theory seems more probable.

[Your Worst Nightmare]

Liebe Thelema

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:34 pm
Hmm. I didn't catch that.
Maybe he was supposed to be a combination of both of them. surprised  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:06 pm
It was pretty quick. I only noticed it the last time I watched it, and I've watched the movie many times. XD
Yeah, he could be a combination. That'd be pretty cool.

[Your Worst Nightmare]

izzib1202

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 pm
The first two your right about, I heard the director talking about it. Dr. Robert was a real person, a friend of theirs who introduced John, George and Ringo to LSD by slipping it into their drinks. And yes, he was a real doctor.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 pm
In the Beatles Anthology, they said the person who introduced John and George to LSD was a dentist, by slipping it into their drinks, yeah. So maybe it was a parallel to that.
I still stand by my claim that he's supposed to be Ken Kesey, though. The bus they were in said "weird load" and everything! And he even says a famous Kesey quote- "You're either on the bus, or off the bus". There's just a crazy amount of simillarities.
(On a semi-related note- I was listening to Revolution 9 on vinyl yesterday, and it was the first time I heard it through speakers instead of headphones. The song never really bothered me before, but this time it really freaked me out. I thought I heard something like, "We went to see the dentist..." which made me think of John and George's LSD thing and really, really scared me for some reason. gonk )  

Liebe Thelema

izzib1202

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:53 pm
He could be Ken Kesey, but Dr. Robert in the song is the one who slipped acid into their drinks.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm
[Your Worst Nightmare]
ORLY? I thought she was gorgeous.

Oh, and I have a question for you guys. I noticed some of the characters looked/sounded like real musicians of the late sixties.. anyone else see it or am I crazy?

Jo-Jo = Jimi Hendrix
Sadie = Janis Joplin
Dr. Robert = John Lennon

I think Dr.Robert=Bono

Haha, since I knew Bono from before Across The Universe, I think he still acts a lot like himself, like the glasses  

magnoboy

Liebe Thelema

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 pm
izzib1202
He could be Ken Kesey, but Dr. Robert in the song is the one who slipped acid into their drinks.

I know it really doesn't matter, and I feel like a douche for posting this, but, in the Anthology, I think I remember reading that the song was written about one of the roadies (possibly Mal Evans?) on the Beatles' tours who always had medicine on them.
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just remember reading that.
And I'm really not trying to start an argument. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:56 pm
User Image

Didn't like it one bit. :/
I'd rather not go into all the details.
..User Image

Medazzaland

The S k u t t l e b u t t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:30 pm
I thought it was an amazing movie. My favorite. An acid trip that takes you back to the sixties. The covers weren't as good as the originals, of course, but most of them were pretty amazing. (I bought the CD) Most of you complain about the plot being boring, which is anything but true, though to each their own. It is art set to music, and what better music is there than the Beatles? Enough said. I would reccommend this to most anyone. It is crazy/artsy in the same way as Moulin Rouge. Who has seen that?.. Anyone?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:32 pm
Liebe Thelema
In the Beatles Anthology, they said the person who introduced John and George to LSD was a dentist, by slipping it into their drinks, yeah. So maybe it was a parallel to that.
I still stand by my claim that he's supposed to be Ken Kesey, though. The bus they were in said "weird load" and everything! And he even says a famous Kesey quote- "You're either on the bus, or off the bus". There's just a crazy amount of simillarities.
(On a semi-related note- I was listening to Revolution 9 on vinyl yesterday, and it was the first time I heard it through speakers instead of headphones. The song never really bothered me before, but this time it really freaked me out. I thought I heard something like, "We went to see the dentist..." which made me think of John and George's LSD thing and really, really scared me for some reason. gonk )

Woah, man.  

The S k u t t l e b u t t

Lieutenant Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:40 pm
It was trippy. Nuff said. Not really.

Here are some useless facts about the movie.

-The "Let it Be" part was sad.

-The "Strawberry Fields Forever" part was also sad, but much less so than other parts. It was also trippy.

-Dr. Robert is named after the song of the same name, which was named after a dentist and close friend of the Beatles, Dr. Robert who if I'm correct, introduced them to drugs (that pretty much explains the creation of "I am the Walrus"). He is also played by Bono, who also sings "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" during the credits.

-Prudence is named after the song "Dear Prudence".

-Lucy is named after "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

-Jo-Jo is named after John Lennon.

-Prudence's friend Rita is named after "Lovely Rita".

-Jude is named after "Hey Jude".

-Max is named after "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

-There are also several refrences to that song throughout the movie.

-Mr. Kite is actually Eddie Izzard. eek

-The movie is called "Across The Universe"!!! burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm
Lieutenant Pie
It was trippy. Nuff said. Not really.

Here are some useless facts about the movie.

-The "Let it Be" part was sad.

-The "Strawberry Fields Forever" part was also sad, but much less so than other parts. It was also trippy.

-Dr. Robert is named after the song of the same name, which was named after a dentist and close friend of the Beatles, Dr. Robert who if I'm correct, introduced them to drugs (that pretty much explains the creation of "I am the Walrus"). He is also played by Bono, who also sings "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" during the credits.

-Prudence is named after the song "Dear Prudence".

-Lucy is named after "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

-Jo-Jo is named after John LennonJo-Jo from Get Back.

-Prudence's friend Rita is named after "Lovely Rita".

-Jude is named after "Hey Jude".

-Max is named after "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

-There are also several refrences to that song throughout the movie.

-Mr. Kite is actually Eddie Izzard. eek

-The movie is called "Across The Universe"!!! burning_eyes

Correction!  

practicallyzen

The Beatles

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items