So what is known of Mormonism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RekaG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:00 am
rocklee3344
i personally think mormons smell funny lol and i have a question isnt it a branch of christiantity that just whent rong?

I'm not sure, but I think the mormon church was built around the beliefs that ''The Book Of Mormon" promotes. If it was, it was wrong to begin with.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:58 am
rocklee3344
i personally think mormons smell funny lol and i have a question isnt it a branch of christiantity that just whent rong?

The first thing is neither here nor there. Personally, I don't go around sniffing people, nor is it a pressing issue for me unless I find the smell physically objectionable, but I digress.

To your question, Mormons and 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' are a branch of Christianity. It's not that it "went wrong", but that it holds that the texts given to Joseph Smith are true.

Priestley

DustNymph

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 am
What Priestley said.

To put it simply, Mormons take the "Heavenly Father" thing literally. They believe that we are all spirit children of God, sent to earth to experience life and gain bodies before returning to Him. I consider them Christians because they believe that Jesus Christ died for the sins of humanity and thus provided a path to salvation by believing in Him.

I do not consider Mormonism a cult in the modern sense of a group that seeks to control it's members through brainwashing. The hallmark of such cults is to isolate people and restrict their thinking. Mormons encourage their members to go out among all kinds of people, and to validate the teachings of The Book of Mormon themselves by practicing and praying about it to gain personal revelation. To learn more about cults and how to identify them, I recommend checking out the Rick A. Ross Institute.

The easiest way to learn about Mormonism is simply to find a couple missionaries (they always work in pairs). They're more than happy to teach anyone and everyone. A word of warning, though: some of them can be a bit overzealous. If you give them your phone number, they WILL use it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:05 am
DustNymph
A word of warning, though: some of them can be a bit overzealous. If you give them your phone number, they WILL use it. sweatdrop

But, for the most part, I've also never seen anyone as UNpushy about their religion as the Mormons. They're happy to tell you if you ask, and by asking, you've delegated interest in what they have to tell you. They don't stand on the street and yell, or preach fire and brimstone and hell and death and hate like some other religions (branches of our own included). I've seen very few churches as united and loving as the Mormons.

I, personally, don't consider Mormons to be a sect of Christianity. I see them as their own religion. Just as Christianity wrote a sequel to the Torah, the Mormons wrote a sequel to the Bible. I have no real problem with them. I don't see them as a cult or anything dangerous. I just think that some of their beliefs are a bit... silly and I don't agree with them enough to ever convert. But if you ever sit down with one, they're great to have religious discussion with, even if you're not religious at all. wink  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

saki_hanajima7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:43 pm
Mormonism isn't exactly a branch off of Christianity. For one, they believe in the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price above the Bible. Also, they believe that Jesus is the brother of Satan. And there's the whole spirit baby thing, which is why, here in Utah, there are such huge families. In order for a woman to get into the highest level of heaven, her husband has to say her secret name once he's there, and it's basically his choice whether or not to bring her there. So women have to be good wives, which means giving bodies [giving birth to] to as many "spirit babies" as they can. And if they're really good, they get to be gods and have there own world basically. According to them, our god came from the planet Kolab. It's complicated, but I think that's about the gist of it.
My family was blacklisted by the LDS church shortly after moving here because my brother visited the temple and filled out a card that said he wanted to learn more about Mormonism, so they sent a local elder over to talk to him and he and my dad were ready and waiting. Not a single Mormon has come by since then, and that was about 2 or 3 years ago.
They are very nice people though, except that sometimes they'll ambush you in parking lots here which is kind of scary when me or my mom are alone.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:49 pm
saki_hanajima7
Mormonism isn't exactly a branch off of Christianity. For one, they believe in the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price above the Bible. Also, they believe that Jesus is the brother of Satan. And there's the whole spirit baby thing, which is why, here in Utah, there are such huge families. In order for a woman to get into the highest level of heaven, her husband has to say her secret name once he's there, and it's basically his choice whether or not to bring her there. So women have to be good wives, which means giving bodies [giving birth to] to as many "spirit babies" as they can. And if they're really good, they get to be gods and have there own world basically. According to them, our god came from the planet Kolab. It's complicated, but I think that's about the gist of it.
My family was blacklisted by the LDS church shortly after moving here because my brother visited the temple and filled out a card that said he wanted to learn more about Mormonism, so they sent a local elder over to talk to him and he and my dad were ready and waiting. Not a single Mormon has come by since then, and that was about 2 or 3 years ago.
They are very nice people though, except that sometimes they'll ambush you in parking lots here which is kind of scary when me or my mom are alone.

I've never heard of Jesus being the brother of Satan or the spirit babies thing or, in fact, much of what you've said.

Also, it's a bit cruel for your father and brother to have invited them under false pretenses to share their faith only to lay in wait for them.

Priestley

saki_hanajima7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:04 am
Priestley
saki_hanajima7

I've never heard of Jesus being the brother of Satan or the spirit babies thing or, in fact, much of what you've said.

Also, it's a bit cruel for your father and brother to have invited them under false pretenses to share their faith only to lay in wait for them.

It's true. There are some very odd components to their beliefs.
It's not like they were laying in wait for them. They were just as eager to share their faith. Even before we moved here I remember Mormons coming to our house and my dad talked to them for a really long time and by the time he was done one of them was crying. The next time the one who wasn't crying came alone. My dad and brother just wanted to have a discussion about the differences in their faith and of course their desired end was to make them consider the flaws in theirs and think about Christianity. They aren't evil.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:58 pm
Priestley
saki_hanajima7

Satan is... if I remember correctly... the fallen angel Samael, right? First and most beautiful, wisest and most powerful of the Benelohim?  

Galad Aglaron

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:55 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley
saki_hanajima7

Satan is... if I remember correctly... the fallen angel Samael, right? First and most beautiful, wisest and most powerful of the Benelohim?

I haven't studied angelology, so I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I'm aware, Satan is Lucifer.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:18 pm
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
saki_hanajima7

I haven't studied angelology, so I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I'm aware, Satan is Lucifer.

Yes, Lucifer was the Roman name for him. The Bringer of Light. Star of the Morning. In Jewish angelology, he was called Samael, the Mettle of God.  

Galad Aglaron

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 pm
Lucifer is satan He is considered to be the most beautiful angel, and one of Gods best until he decided to go his own way.
That is Catholism right?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:43 am
Paranormal Zombiiie
Lucifer is satan He is considered to be the most beautiful angel, and one of Gods best until he decided to go his own way.
That is Catholism right?

And Judaism. It's all in the Kabala, I think...

It's not that he decided to go his own way. There are a lot of interpretations. Some say that he thought himself better than God. There are others who say that he refused to bow down before mankind. There are some who say that he loved God so much that he refused to have anything to do with mankind. Personally, I like the school of thought that says he was trying to escape the tyranny of predestination.  

Galad Aglaron

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:47 am
Galad Damodred
Paranormal Zombiiie
That is Catholism right?

And Judaism. It's all in the Kabala, I think...

It's not that he decided to go his own way. There are a lot of interpretations. Some say that he thought himself better than God. There are others who say that he refused to bow down before mankind. There are some who say that he loved God so much that he refused to have anything to do with mankind. Personally, I like the school of thought that says he was trying to escape the tyranny of predestination.

I don't believe in predestination though. razz
I understand that there are many ways, trust me I have heard the lot of them. I said he want his own way cause I didnt know what else to say.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 am
At the risk of going off-topic, I know that the Muslim legend of Lucifer says that he was cast out because he felt he shouldn't be made to bow down to anyone but God, and that was essentially what was being asked of him and the other angels. So really, he was cast out because his love for God was so great ....  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers