Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
How far should our faith guide our political decisions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:25 pm
Dark Angel Rai
Priestley
Dark Angel Rai
xxPromarkxx
That depends on alot. Is he a Christian? Or is he someone who says he's Christian to get more votes?
Does it matter? Religion and Politics shouldn't mix. That's not a democracy. It's a Theocracy. Last I checked America has always been secular dispite the coicidence that the people who first came here were diff sects of Christianity but the people who actually coined America the land of the free and wrote and signed the Constitution were either Deist or Agnostic not Christian. In fact very few of them were.

What do you think the Kingdom is if not a Theocracy?
I don't believe in the kingdom. I'm a pagan. ^.^v.

That's irrelevant to the discussion and is sidestepping the question.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:59 pm
The book Titus in the first chapter. Also I think it touches on the subject in the second chapter but I'm not too sure. Titus best explains, as far as I know, on who should be elected and what characteristics they should have.

However, in my opinion, most candidates and past presidents have not shown these characteristics. Also them saying their Christian is not enough for me. Anybody can claim their Christian; however, only few follow the faith. I try to look at the fruit they bear and most politicians fruit is bad.  

As The Pokeball Turns

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 am
Priestley
Dark Angel Rai
Priestley
Dark Angel Rai
xxPromarkxx
That depends on alot. Is he a Christian? Or is he someone who says he's Christian to get more votes?
Does it matter? Religion and Politics shouldn't mix. That's not a democracy. It's a Theocracy. Last I checked America has always been secular dispite the coicidence that the people who first came here were diff sects of Christianity but the people who actually coined America the land of the free and wrote and signed the Constitution were either Deist or Agnostic not Christian. In fact very few of them were.

Actually it's not. The discussion is talking about whether or faith (Christian or not ((Every religion has faith))) should be a factor in deciding the next presidental canidate. I gave my opinion and you asked me about the kingdom of heaven. I stated that I do NOT believe in the kingdom of heaven meaning that whatever government body the kingdom of heaven chooses doesn't matter to me because chances are I'm not going there. You assumed that I was Christian or that I believe in the kingdom of heaven which to me sounds like a mythical place like Avalon. But if you have a problem with my answer oh well.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:56 am
Our Democracy was based off of Theocracy.

And Keeping your religious beliefs out of your political decisions is hard to do no matter what. Almost everyone votes off of personal opinion, morals, and all that anyways.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:38 pm
That's exactly my point. It's inevitable that our faith is going to play some part in our political decisions. How much of a part should we allow them to play??  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:43 pm
I think that when we vpte for someone that is essentially trying to make the religion in question law, it's time to back off it. Politicas has never really been my forte, so I'm not sure what it means that our Democracy was based off Theocracy and my stance may seem awfully simple-minded to some, but I always thought that our forefathers based the government off of the principle of religous freedom. We hace the right to worship God however we please, even if that means not worshipping Him. If we or our cantidates are trying to essentially make Christianity law, especially if it's our opne and only interpretation of it, we've long since crossed the line.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:50 pm
Dark Angel Rai
Priestley
Dark Angel Rai
Priestley
Dark Angel Rai

Actually it's not. The discussion is talking about whether or faith (Christian or not ((Every religion has faith))) should be a factor in deciding the next presidental canidate. I gave my opinion and you asked me about the kingdom of heaven. I stated that I do NOT believe in the kingdom of heaven meaning that whatever government body the kingdom of heaven chooses doesn't matter to me because chances are I'm not going there. You assumed that I was Christian or that I believe in the kingdom of heaven which to me sounds like a mythical place like Avalon. But if you have a problem with my answer oh well.

The discussion was addressed to Christians in particular...
Fushigi na Butterfly
Now, as Christians...

...but open for all to discuss, since it's a thread in a public forum.

Since you stated that religion and politics shouldn't mix, I thought I would ask you a relevant question. Whether you believe in heaven and/or the Kingdom or not is irrelevant because that's not what I'm asking you. What political form do you think a kingdom ruled by a truly righteous and just god-king would take?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:39 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
That's exactly my point. It's inevitable that our faith is going to play some part in our political decisions. How much of a part should we allow them to play??

I think our religious beliefs should influence our decision about as much as the candidates allow theirs to influence their campaign. If we're voting based on who holds closer to our own beliefs, are we really doing the country justice? That person could be largely unqualified for the job but we're overlooking that because we want to have more people that believe the same things we do in positions of authority. But, something that Lethkhar once said has always stuck with me. "Whenever it is I decide to go into politics, I'll have to claim a religion, probably Christianity. You can't get elected without it." How many candidates don't even believe the words coming out of their mouth? It seems that politics is the only place where that law seperating church and state doesn't seem to matter. You shouldn't be able to bring your religion onstage with you as a candidate. Ultimately, we as voters shouldn't know the religion of the man or woman we'll be voting for, only their promises and pledges. And if THOSE align with what we'd like for the country, then by all means, vote. But don't do so on the same-religious-stance basis.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Knatalie9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:38 pm
I'm voting pro-life!

FIN!

God doesn't approve of murder!

[random... maybe... but honestly... God has given me a big heart for not only the youth of Seattle, but also for the unborn children robbed of their life... so it is possibly the most important view of me voting.]  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:37 pm
Knatalie9
I'm voting pro-life!

FIN!

[random... maybe... but honestly... God has given me a big heart for not only the youth of Seattle, but also for the unborn children robbed of their life... so it is possibly the most important view of me voting.]

Have you considered any other pledges?  

Priestley

Knatalie9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm
Priestley
Knatalie9
I'm voting pro-life!

FIN!

Have you considered any other pledges?

I have.. but its what my heart is for.

I have spent time in prayer and will continue to do so about who I vote for, but as far as i can see, I know who God is leading me to vote for.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:22 pm
Knatalie9

I have spent time in prayer and will continue to do so about who I vote for, but as far as i can see, I know who God is leading me to vote for.

I really think that's the ONLY way since neither candidate has really told us what HE is going to do for the country, only what the other man ISN'T.

Yay for smear campaigns. *sigh*  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Knatalie9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:36 am
ryuu_chan
Knatalie9

I really think that's the ONLY way since neither candidate has really told us what HE is going to do for the country, only what the other man ISN'T.

*grumble grumble*  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:24 am
ryuu_chan
Knatalie9

True, but I like Obama's style of smear campaign. At least it doesn't rely on the ignorance of racial and religious prejudice.

It's funny because, in certain lights, Obama is whiter than Bush.

Priestley

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:31 pm
ryuu_chan
Knatalie9

Actually Obama has said what he's going to do. I mean that's what his speeches are about. They aren't solely surronded on making attacks like what McCain and Palin are doing.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff