Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DioRte

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:00 pm
DanteIX
DioRte
Better how? Something that appeals to your taste isn't necessarily better, just different.

no i stand by what i say it was ten times better

Well you're obviously standing by it, you're just not explaining it U_U Define "better."  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:26 pm
User Image

JESUS, I just want to ******** rip that Reporters/Journalist/Whatever Eyes out. It Pisses me off. Some people are too arrogant and think highly of themselves and think they can get away with saying whatever without pissing anyone off.
"Which brings us to Korn’s Jonathan Davis. See, once upon a time, Korn were the leaders of the so-called “nu metal” brigade, a horde of frustrated boys who loved hip-hop and metal and decided to stick their Black Sabbath-inspired white chocolate into some gangsta peanut butter, essentially ruining two genres at once. "

After reading this I had a few questions.

1. When was KoRn ever De-dubbed as Kings of Nu-Metal? Last I checked never.
2. Was JD,Fieldy,Munky,Head,and David Really Frustrated? All 5 of them?
3. If KoRn was really ruining two genres,Why the ******** are they So Successful?

This also made me mad;

"The dreadlocked Davis has made what is practically a second career out of questionable covers, from his band’s trashing of Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick In The Wall” to their bagpipe-assisted take on War’s “Low Rider” and an ill-conceived swing at Ice Cube’s “Wicked.” All fun and games, until Davis recently dropped his latest homage, a retread of Lil’ Wayne’s still-fresh “Got Money,” a bouncy clubber in which Davis cranks up the robotic AutoTune vocals and paints himself as some kind of flossy, flashy strip-club-alien lothario from the hood (assuming there is a hood in Bakersfield, California)."

1. Honestly, if "another brick in the wall" was trashy,Don't you think Pink Floyd would've gotten upset or had said something about the Cover? Same Ordeal with Ice Cube.And last I checked KoRn has done a few songs Ft. Ice Cube,and they're cool with Each Other.
3. Last I checked JD Doesn't need Yahoo's Approval to be Loved.

XDD
I agree with you Unholy.

User Image

BlackSharpieMarker

+[Unholy_Rage]+
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm
Lol thanks!

Also to build on your argument Sharpie:

- Korn was and still are the kings of "nu-metal".
- David and Head had fairly happy childhoods.
- Exactly, they made made something new out of two genres that were getting old, tired and cliche. They started a revolution in music that is still influencing new artists.

Also,

- To follow up on the Floyd thing, Korn made it more exciting, and I the dudes from Floyd never said anything about Korn 'ruining' their song confused
-And yes WHO NEEDS YAHOO.

Ironically... Launchcast Radio (a subsidiary of Yahoo Corp) hugely supported Korn in the late 90s and early 00s - they even had a huge promo stinf of Untouchables when it was released.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 am
DioRte
DanteIX
DioRte
Better how? Something that appeals to your taste isn't necessarily better, just different.

no i stand by what i say it was ten times better

Well you're obviously standing by it, you're just not explaining it U_U Define "better."

oh fine talk2hand nah well the cof version has better vocals to it. A nicer riff and the lady singing it in the cof version doesn't sound like she is getting raped up the butt. The original one is slow and drowned out the cof is fast and exciting. so yes the may sound different but the cof version is better see for your self. talk2hand jk i love ya diorite rofl rofl but yeah i know what u mean. u do have a point but still

the original version whee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSODuSo6x8

The cradle Of filth version whee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMa2lrFxhY  

DanteIX
Crew

Emily Zero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:07 pm
I thought JD didn't like Korn being called "Nu Metal?" It also saddened me when I saw a Linkin Park song categorized as "Nu Metal" in Rock Band 2 :[ Since when the Hell did "Nu Metal" become an official genre, and what the Hell is it? I always thought Linkin Park was just Alternative Rock? Korn's really hard/heavy Alternative Rock, too. Untitled has near zero Metal sound at all when compared to how Alternative it is. It's hard and complex at times, yes, but it's about the most Alternative thing I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard any songs that are even remotely similar to Hushabye, Do What They Say, or I Will Protect You.

Also, as Diorte kindasorta tried to say, music isn't necessarily better because it appeals to someone specifically. People who say bands or songs are better just because they like them more are the kind of kids that love the s**t out of Hardcore bands, for some ungodly reason, and b***h at each other over forums like on that one site where people voted for the best band of 2008 or whatever. The one Korn came in second place in? I think it was Fuse or something? For a song or band to be BETTER, they have to put in more talent, effort, and overall quality. A simple beat, rhythm, and sound you can make on the fly can be liked by several people, but it's obviously pretty basic compared to the symphonies of the 1700s.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 pm
Eh? I loved that cover! It made the song actually, decent.

Oh and if Korn IS Nu-Metal, then Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D, and all the rest of those other bands aren't.  

Jakal Gore

+[Unholy_Rage]+
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 am
Yeah like I've said many many times before (since it always seems to come up), the term 'nu-metal' is frustratingly problematic because Emily is right, it technically doesn't exist. It is only made to exist because it's been thrown around so constantly, and has been for the past decade since Korn invented and popularised their particular style of inspired metal/heavy rock whatever that contained slight hip-hop influences.

Because music critics are lazy, 'nu-metal' became the umbrella term that encompassed everything with even the slightest hip-hop (or other genre) and metal fusion. In effect Bizkit, POD and yes even that shitty-a** Linkin Park got thrown into the pit. Those bands are the bastardizations of 'nu-metal'. However, there were a few gems that were tossed into that category including: Static-X, Coal Chamber, Tura Satana, (early) Dry Kill Logic, (early) Adema, Flaw, Taproot and Ill Nino.

Also, I reckon Untitled has some metal influences resonating through a few of the songs... ie. Killing and Innocent Bystander.

Note however, genres are subjective terms. They cannot be completely nor correctly defined by anyone or anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:42 am
^Exactly, and now the fact that it's used in a game like Rock Band 2, with its immense popularity, I fear the term will never die :/ Killing is probably the most Metal-influenced song on Untitled, even though JD or Munky or whoever it was said that Hold On is the one with the most Death Metal influences. I hate people who make up stupid labels like Nu Metal :[  

Emily Zero

DanteIX
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:11 am
like i have stated. Metal is a very complex type of music. And under it theres alot of different categories 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:56 am
Nu Metal isn't even Metal, though. Linkin Park is Rock, Korn is Rock, Taproot is Rock, Adema is Rock, every "Nu Metal" band is just Alternative Rock, regardless of how low the guitars are tuned. That's not what makes Metal Metal. Listen to real Metal like Scar Symmetry or Sybreed and tell me what they have in common with any "Nu Metal" band, other than low-tuned guitars, which has absolutely nothing to do with what Metal is as Power Metal has proven.

And wow, that's a lot of Metal lined up there o.o  

Emily Zero

+[Unholy_Rage]+
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 am
I fear another 'what is metal?' debate coming on xD. I actually hate that debate because no one seems to come up with a defined way of finding out what metal is. But I'll offer my scope...

Metal goes beyond just the music now methinks, there are so many different categories and sub-categories, influences and fusions etc. that the real point of metal is lost in that fruitless debate. Heavy metal is a culture comprised of people who love real music that is generally well-written and well-structured and have actual messages, stories or meanings behind each song. It is a culture of people who love to congregate around music, in a show of unity around whatever bands they wish to follow. Metal is an attitude, a declaration of independence from ignorance and perceived social norms. That to me is heavy ******** metal, I don't even give a s**t about sub-genres and slight technicalities that only exist in subjectivity.

Korn for me goes beyond rock, and in this definition that I have made - they embody 'metal'. Hell, ******** it with the genres if people wish to reject that statement. Reality is, Korn are Korn and they make real ******** music with a real message. They have the charisma it takes for people to love them and their music.

And ode to the metal bands that are truly ******** GREAT at what they're doing: Lamb of God, Behemoth, Chimaira, Sybreed, Dagoba, Scar Symmetry, Ensiferum, Tyr, Thyrfing, Vreid, Devildriver, Otep, Arch Enemy, All That Remains, Amon Amarth, Meshuggah, Opeth, Morbid Angel and yes, I'm going to include KORN because even though they don't always reflect 'metal' musically, they epitomise the culture. Those artists are all from different sub-categories of metal but they ALL promote real music, by real people who've stuck their middle fingers up against hegemony.

*has ranted so much because I feel so passionately about this issue*  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:46 pm
I thought we had all agreed that Korn is Korn regardless of what anyone wants to call them, it doesn't change the fact that they're the most badass band period >_>  

DioRte

Asayami The Necrophyliac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm
you know i just love it when people make judgments with out figuring out what the hell they are talking about.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:10 pm
DioRte
I thought we had all agreed that Korn is Korn regardless of what anyone wants to call them, it doesn't change the fact that they're the most badass band period >_>

Yes that was the general consensus, however the 'genre' question always seems to find a way to worm itself into every conversation about Korn's sound. It never dies! stressed  

+[Unholy_Rage]+
Vice Captain

DioRte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:13 pm
It sholdn't really be that hard if you actually listen to real metal U_U Heavy =/= metal. It's a lot more complicated than that, and it's something you know right off the bat when you hear it.

Metal
Rock

Freal gais.  
.:+:.Children of the KoRn.:+:.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out