PtolemaeusZero

Invisible Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:42 pm
Minerva the Bookwyrm
Maze353, you sounded like you were referring to the epilogue in Harry Potter with the "everyone getting hitched" thing. You were, weren't you? wink

As far as sappy ending go, I think they're okay if they fit the tone of the book. It it's a light-hearted story of course everything will turn out okay. It's meant to be a "feel good read," like The Princess bride. However, books that are darker with epic struggles somehow turning out perfectly tend to make me annoyed with the author.

For example, I love Lord of the Rings, but it's unrealistic for ALL the members of the Fellowship to live considering all of the battles they were in. None of them even lost a limb, for God's sake! (No, Frodo's finger doesn't count.) In Harry Potter none of the children die (unless you count Fred, which admittedly was a bit depressing) and that also bothered me.

I must agree with you there, NightIntent; Robin Hobb is great at endings, and writing in general. Any of you that read the Bartimaeus trilogy also know that its ending is realistic and beautifully done as well.

I completly agree with you on the Bartimaeus trilogy. The absolute best ending to a book I have ever read. Also a good book that ends well "The book of lost things".  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:46 pm
The Quiet Surreal
I hate it when the author kills a character, but brings it back later in the book. Make up your mind! Also, it's overused, and makes for what's usually a crappy ending.

I disagree, used in moderation a dead character can be a great asset and an interesting read. In the Warriors series by Erin Hunter dead cats visit other cats in thier dreams. (creepy right?) This helps the other cats and it is fun to be reminded of the characters that once were. WARNING: Only in moderation!!!!  

PtolemaeusZero

Invisible Hunter

5,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Free_in_Fantasy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 pm
I'm a hopeless romantic, so sappy endings, even though I may roll my eyes, in my head I'm usually going Awww! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm
Maze353
Actually Minerva, I was referring to David Eddings' & Mercedes Lacky's books. I didn't really think Harry Potter fit because Rowlings killed off quite a few characters. Now Eddings & Lackey... stressed ! Everyone will live happily ever after! They hardly ever kill off anyone! Though, now that you mention it, it is odd that in LotR no main characters died in battle....

I don't know about Lackey but at least Eddings gives a sort of a reason, they are each others "rewards", also endings where characters die just leave e feeling sad. In All Quiet On The Western Front the ain character commited suiced in the last half of the last page and it left me in shocck for 3 days!

But most books that have enoous battles and no deaths what-so-ever are suspicoous

eda bell

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces