Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Witch/Wiccan/Pagan Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:03 pm
MST3Kakalina
you guys get asked about your spiritual paths that often?

Nope, I'm fairly discrete. Or at least, my interest in ancient Egypt takes such an academic and wide-spread approach that your average person doesn't usually associate it with personal religious practice. Also, people tend to assume that the religious symbols/amulets which I wear (a silver sacred Bast cat, and a small golden ankh, which I alternate depending on which best matches the rest of the outfit) are due to the fact that I work in a hospital which treats cats, and/or I really like cats (which is true^_~), and/or I have this quirky obsession with all things ancient Egyptian. I don't bring up personal religious beliefs, and neither does anyone else.

When I do discuss religion with my family, or random people who are neither Kemetic nor any other flavor of neopagan, I tend to use English and neutral terms for divinity and religious concepts. Even though they've been told that I'm not Christian, I think my family sometimes forgets because I don't throw it in their faces very often. It tends to make them uncomfortable when they're confronted by it, which is why I don't parade it around in front of them- as one very major value of my religion is social (and familial) harmony. I've found this to be common among ancient religions, actually- not very many chaotic, anarchist societies survived.^_~  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:47 am
I'm a pagan, out of those three terms, though if asked I say AsatruaR. Neither of my forms of magic are witchcraft, so I wouldn't be a witch, and I've no interest in joining Wicca.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Tenzin Chodron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:06 pm
I'm many things. "Witch" is one of those things. "Chaote" is another.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:43 pm
If asked, I call myself a witch - fitting, as I practice witchcraft. XD However, I never mind being classified as "pagan", since I AM just an unsophisticated country dweller. But, oh, I will always correct someone who calls me Wiccan...  

Gardenia

Keistera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:01 pm
I could be considered a "Witch" (not Wiccan or Neo-Wiccan) due to my work with plants and stones (in a bit of a lull due to college, and therefore, lack of non-school studying), or, more specifically, a "Kitchen Witch". Spiritual path... not sure. Pagan, I guess. I tend to be a "Studying Pagan" (looking into Kemetic Recon and Buddhism, as I am not sure where I want to go from here).

I don't get asked, and I don't tell. My sprituality is a personal thing and need not be advertised.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:10 am
Eclectic Witch, NOT influence by SRW at all. I've never read one of her books thanks. razz Anyways, I've been on this path officially for about 5 years, but I've always been interesting in the occult adn nature based spirituality. I'd definately call myself a kitchen witch too, except for the highly spiritual nature of what I practise/beleive. I'm much more than 'just' a kitchen witch. (No offense to those who classify themselves as such). I'm a kitchen witch with a LOT of faith in herself and the Divine. I'm quirky. And a little tipsy. I should go to bed.  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Ultima the High Seraph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:49 pm
I consider myself a Witch. I don't really jive with the Wiccan religion. I do not consider myself Pagan because I live in the city.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:58 pm
Rinmai
I consider myself a Witch. I don't really jive with the Wiccan religion. I do not consider myself Pagan because I live in the city.

I think thats cutting a little to close to the original definition. I live in the suburbs. Last I checked, still pagan.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:03 pm
Nuri
Rinmai

I think thats cutting a little to close to the original definition. I live in the suburbs. Last I checked, still pagan.

~nodnod~ I live in the city, but the home I have was built on a heath.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:14 pm
Nuri
Rinmai

Yeah, it's because the definition is a little ... iffy (depending on who you talk to) that I just save myself the headache and decide to not consider myself something that I can't be certain of. That's fine if people want to consider me a pagan, I just don't think that of myself.  

Ultima the High Seraph

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:49 pm
A simple definition of Paganism as it applies TODAY is somone who doesn't follow the faiths of Christianity, Judaism or Islam but still has faith of some kind. Its' an umbrella term and isn't supposed to be THAT specific.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:59 pm
EladrinStarmist
A simple definition of Paganism as it applies TODAY is somone who doesn't follow the faiths of Christianity, Judaism or Islam but still has faith of some kind. Its' an umbrella term and isn't supposed to be THAT specific.

Well, under that definition I would be considered pagan. I still won't refer to myself as that, however. I'm also not sure how my buddhist friends would react to that. Hell, it may amuse them. I'll pass that idea by them.  

Ultima the High Seraph

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:27 am
I think that dictonary definition had Paganism, not NEO-Paganism in mind when it was constructed. Standard dictonaries are horrible at defining religious terminology anyway. xd I usually use the Adlerian definition "ie, pantheistic, animistic, polytheistic in elements and Earth-based" when refering to Neopagans. It seems to be the standard of use in the more credible literature at any rate.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:46 am
Starlock
I think that dictonary definition had Paganism, not NEO-Paganism in mind when it was constructed. Standard dictonaries are horrible at defining religious terminology anyway. xd I usually use the Adlerian definition "ie, pantheistic, animistic, polytheistic in elements and Earth-based" when refering to Neopagans. It seems to be the standard of use in the more credible literature at any rate.

Oh, I rather like that definition as it seems to encompass the various forms that Neo-Paganism has taken. Pantheistic, animistic (certainly), polythesistic, Earth-based. This definition is more careful since it doesn't lump everyone who isn't Abrahamic into the same group (which some may find offensive, by the way). wink  

Ultima the High Seraph

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:05 pm
Rinmai
Starlock

Oh, I rather like that definition as it seems to encompass the various forms that Neo-Paganism has taken. Pantheistic, animistic (certainly), polythesistic, Earth-based. This definition is more careful since it doesn't lump everyone who isn't Abrahamic into the same group (which some may find offensive, by the way). wink

The other camp in this guild are those who see Pagan as a largely self-identifying term. If you say you are one, you are one. Pagan as a term of collection, rather than one that actually is a good descriptor of beliefs. Paganism, as its been developing is far to diverse for that.

Boxy keeps trying. smile I like good arguements.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff