No!
  Poll Whore
View Results

o-re-sa-ma_Elegance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Ralphiie

LOL. I THOUGHT IT SAID "DO YOUR PARENTS HIT ON YOU" rofl

My parents never hit me.
But they used to lock me outside of the house for a few hours until I "was ready to apologize". D:

my mom did that to me once.

i just walked around and then came back. she wasn't keeping tabs on me, so when i came back she thought i had been sitting there the whole time. XD  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:42 pm
HAHAHAHAHA thats so funny, yea i got hit in the but and the hand with the bamboo stick when i was a kid.... but now im a man so now my mom cant hit me anymore and so she just annoys me with her little disaplinary rant, but yea maybe its good, maybe its not pirate  

Eli_dude2

- G a s p e t h u s

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:55 am
Eeeh, my mom used to hit me all the timee. D: She stopped like two years ago. >P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm
No. Not that I would, but I could sue.  

dievian

400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

M e e G g y

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm
Haha.
Asian parents are always strict. I wouldn't call it hitting, I would more likely call it...spanking. It's the only way my parents could ever make me follow their orders. Or, they would lock me in the bathroom for like 5 hours until I say 'sorry'. *shivers* I don't get 'spanked' anymore, thank my a**.>< I don't think anyone would like to get hit(spanked..hehe)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm
I do in a way support it because like that's how most kids become good or whatever.
But they shouldnt like do it to a point where the child has bruises

LOL
My parents use to hit me.... They stopped now though XD

FrostyRainbow

Anima2nboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

I wish I could be love,
Then I could be
All over the world.

Humans are naturally born evil. That's the stance some crazy Philosopher from the 1700's thought. And to a point that is agreeable. Disciplining a child can be extremely beneficial IF done correctly. There are three basic types of learners. Audio learners, people who learn by hearing. Visual learners, people who learn by seeing or reading. And finally kinesthetic, which is learning by feeling or touching. Notice that these correspond to the five senses, but it's really hard to learn just by tasting and smelling, (hmm... this number smells funky, so I think it means X to the fifth power.) When we're just infants, we don't really know much about visual learning. We can't really read at all. And what does a finger wag in the face mean to a mere child? We do have visual learning down, just by a bit. We'll know if our parents are mad at us when they raise their voices. But the most learning we get from when we're children is by kinesthetics. We're just like lab mice, in a sense. If we go to door number one and find that we get shocked, we'll (eventually) learn not to go to that door anymore. If we go to door number two and get cheese, we'll learn that that's a good thing to do. Translating that to human children, if we do something wrong, we get disciplined, either verbally or physically. We go "Ow, stop yelling so loud, I'm sorry" when they yell, and "Ow, that didn't feel good, I'm sorry." when they physically discipline us. Back to the fact that we don't learn much from visuals when we're children, I pose this question. How do you discipline a child by making them read?
Anyways, on the topic of Physical discipline. There are many ways to physically discipline children. You can, spank, slap, pinch, or send them physically into a place in which they will not enjoy (i.e. a very dark room or outside of the house.) For children, some measurements are more extreme depending on their age than others, but at the same time, this somewhat traumatizing way of discipline is extremely effective. Say you send a 5 year old into a dark room for 10 minutes. They'll start screaming and whining and crying. Another drawback of this is that it could actually traumatize the child for the rest of their life. The smallest form of physical punishment (one which will cause least pain) is slapping of the palm. The child will recognize this mentally "Hey, that didn't really hurt... but I don't like how you made me feel that way, so I'll try and avoid doing that." The drawback on this side however, is since it didn't hurt as much, they'll probably forget it quicker and repeat the same error as before. So there are two ways of doing the discipline and those on the middle. The fast and sloppy way, or the slow and steady way. Please keep in mind I'm not trying to put negative connotations on the first way, I just feel that's t he only way I can think of on how to express that right now.
Now, there is a difference, as you all know, between Physical Abuse and Physical discipline. Sometimes though, for parents, Physically disciplining a child can lead to Physical abuse. In other times, parents have bottled up rage and only feel they should relieve it upon their children (bad.) And in rare, but sad cases, the Parents aren't really disciplining their child at all, and like physically abusing their children. On the scariest and saddest case, I feel the child ends up forming their own sense of discipline and teaches them that.
And now quoting a conversation:

(4:36:36 PM) chopstixgurli: a lot of asian kids get hit
(4:36:51 PM) chopstixgurli: my friend gets chairs thrown on him and kicked and stuff
(4:37:08 PM) chopstixgurli: his dad shoved him against a wall so hard that he couldn't walk for like a week
(4:37:14 PM) Animaznboy: Oh wow.
(4:37:17 PM) Animaznboy: That's scary.
(4:37:26 PM) chopstixgurli: i know
(4:38:19 PM) chopstixgurli: its weird
(4:38:19 PM) chopstixgurli: his parents get mad
(4:38:29 PM) chopstixgurli: and then they threw a chair at him
(4:38:32 PM) chopstixgurli: and it broke
(4:38:39 PM) chopstixgurli: so they got more mad at him for breaking the chair

This is a case of Extreme physical discipline leading to Physical abuse. I've been physically disciplined before, but I don't care that much about it. I think it's good.
I'll remember to love,
You taught me how.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 pm
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

I wish I could be love,
Then I could be
All over the world.

Also, I wish that they had some kind of physical disciplinary action in schools. Way back when, it worked fine, and crime rate was lower. I know that they're not DIRECTLY related, but I think it'd help.
I'll remember to love,
You taught me how.

User Image

Anima2nboy

DuMaKenshinXD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:45 pm
Everyone has gotten hit as a child, i believe so.

I think it is okay, to some extremes.
No Hitting until bleeding or badly bruised

Parents hit they're children because they want to teach them a lesson. If you don't want to get hit, obey. Physical discipline who go away soon enough. As you get older, they understand that you can retaliate so they back off. Not saying you should hit your parents.
But you should learn how to talk to them after your about 15.

My parents a lienient(s/p?) so i wouldn't know what most of you guys go through  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm
i think its a way to teach us naughty kids to understand that life is hard than we think.and to not doing bad things anymore.i don't support it but i don't dislike it.its better than having an spoiled kids tho  

sea-rover

Einllikoach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 am
My parents used to slap me when I was much younger and only when I had a very naughty behaviour.

I very agree with JiiNGYuli, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 am
ShigureAishite

Yea totally, I used to be a loner. I played with the alley cats 8D
dad made me study and when he was napping I snuck out to hang with my cat buds =P

XD

MAI ALLEY CAT FRIENDS COULD PRBLY BEAT UP YOUR ALLEY CAT FRIENDS.

8DD

My ma used to make me study all the time. Even when there was nothing to study, she would still make me study. D:

Ralphiie

MizukiLee

Friendly Explorer

5,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:08 pm
For some reason, I keep picturing that if the law allows parents to discipline their children physically, that every parents in America is going to take advantage of that and turn it into child abuse. Probably false but..I won't like it if parents are (physically) disciplining their kids to the extreme as to leave scars or bruises. No bleeding too.

This is what I'm afraid. If parents are going to discipline their kids physically, are they going to do it the right way? I know my parents did.

I will approve physical discipline if it's done the right way. The kids won't have scary traumas and scary flashbacks when they grow older..

If I did something really bad, I get whooped with a wooden stick on the butt. A slap on the face if I said something wrong. Kneel/stand facing the wall for lighter punishments.

Weird how I never get locked outside or in a room or anything like that though. I've only gotten grounded once. I wouldn't call standing against a wall "grounded". Isn't being grounded, not letting your kids go anywhere? I wonder if grounding your kids really work..

But after almost every punishments that required slapping or whooping, my mom/dad would apologize for hitting me and told me that I shouldn't -insert bad deed- anymore. After that, they hug me <3 What's so important about that is, it shows my parents don't hate me, they just want to discipline me.

If any parents are going to whoop their children, they should do ^ that. : )
And that's why I love the way my parents discipline me. I can feel their love. <3
As for physical discipline in school...I'm not too sure about that. But I feel that the consequences HAS to be HIGHER. Oh so what detention going to get you at? They just put you in a room. The end. Also, back in middle school, some teachers were hesitating to put kids in detention e__e;. Some teachers are just so soft.

This post is so long. xD Oh well. Thanks for reading though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 pm
rarely ever. i support it (even though i'm 14) cause kids today (5-12ish) are freaking rude. Hitting would help them get their act straight just telling them wouldn't be enough (never over do it)  

Reshoku

o-re-sa-ma_Elegance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Reshoku
rarely ever. i support it (even though i'm 14) cause kids today (5-12ish) are freaking rude. Hitting would help them get their act straight just telling them wouldn't be enough (never over do it)

omg yes. i cant tell you how many kids i see or encounter that need to be whooped once or twice.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff