Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
To the members of the guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LordNeuf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 am
TeaDidikai

People who wear their religion as a badge of honor are welcome to do so. But they do so accepting the fact that they are intentionally making themselves a target. It is worthy to note that there are Christians who claim they are persecuted for wearing their hubcap sized crosses and scriptural t-shirts as well.

It boils down to behavior, not theology.

Are you supporting modesty or secrecy?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 am
LordNeuf
So if you wish to give a statement for me to use in my article, include just your age for me. If you want you can add other information like how long you have been practicing and what particular pagan you are. (IE : Wicca, Eclectic Pagan, Nordic Traditionalist, Celtic Traditionalist, etc etc.)

Wing, Irish Traditionalist pagan for about 7 years with a passing on-and-off interest (and a very very strong intellectual understanding) in Wicca, 26.

LordNeuf
What do you consider a fluff bunny?

The term "the willfully ignorant" is bandied about here a lot. What that actually means is "someone who, when faced with the reality and facts of a tradition, prefers to cling to self-aggrandising falsehoods that they wrap themselves in".
The prime example being an ecclectic neo-pagan claiming the title Wiccan.
I lump all people who claim the title "druid" in with them, especially after my recent encounters with the OBOD forums wherein intellect and reason were demonised.

LordNeuf
What do you see as the place for Pagans in American Society?

I'm Irish. So I don't hold printable views on American society

LordNeuf
Have you had any trouble practicing your religion at home/school/in society?

Nope.

LordNeuf
What do you consider real problems for Pagans in America?

Fluff bunnies and Mr. Darks. They are the loudest voices and reflect upon paganism the most, unfortunately.
Misrepresentation, so.

LordNeuf
How do you think Pagans should express themselves as Pagans?

They shouldn't. They should express themselves as people and, if that happens to manifest in the form of pagan expression, so be it.

LordNeuf
What political issues are important to you as a Pagan?

The building of the road through the Skryne valley in Ireland which is, in and of itself, purely a symptom of the Irish government's willingness to pave over our past and destroy our cutlure in the name of quick and easy progress.

LordNeuf
Do you belong to a group, sect or coven, or are you a soloist?

... that's a tough question to answer.
I am a priest.
I have a congregation composing peoples of many different religions.
But there is no heirarchy to it.

LordNeuf
Why did you come to this particular guild?

To help with the defluffing.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:59 am
LordNeuf
Are you supporting modesty or secrecy?
I'm supporting individuals making informed and reasoned choices. If someone wants to have a religious symbol around their neck that weighs enough to send them to a chiropractor, they are making a choice about how they want to interact with others. They choose to act as a person second and a religious icon first. They also choose to treat others as adversaries first, and as people second and their reception within the Pagan Scene and outside of it reflects this.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 pm
I forgot to mention why I came to the Rehab guild.

I got into a fight with Wing, and I thanked him for it. He was a bit shocked that I the message I sent was a flame and suggested I join the guild where I continued to be a thorn in his, Nuri's and Deo's sides for a couple months before they decided I was more amusing than not.  

TeaDidikai

imadelilith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 pm
I'd say modesty. Throwing your religion in someone's face probably makes them uncomfortable in the same way it would you. But hiding it makes it seem almost like you are ashamed or believe you might in fact be doing something wrong. I think that by being honest about your beliefs, whatever they might be, is a form of integrity, while trying to throw the harness of those beliefs around the necks of others is like an attack. So when it comes to wearing it on your sleeve, or neck or finger for that matter, it is, like tea mentioned, a matter of your behavior and personal flamboyancy about things. But I think avoiding any religious symbol for the sake of others' opinions shows a lack of integrety and honesty.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:12 pm

sure. there was a phase i went through when i was about 16, 17 when i ddin't even talk openly about being pagan in school any more because i was tired of having to defend myself emotionally against religious bullies. i currently reside in alabama, and have been openly pagan, although i don't bring it up. i answer any questions, but try not to just throw it out there. i have been harassed since i moved down here about my beliefs and hellfire and damnation and so on and so forth, but i've found honesty is generally, even down here, respected and left alone when presented modestly.  

imadelilith

imadelilith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm

i think one major problem for pagans in america is getting rights as an actual faith. i have only known of one pagan *group* that was tax exempt in the same way a church is, and that was back in cali. i think also military pagans have had and continue to have problems with legally expressing their faiths, in death. this issue continues to come up, and stress us out! pagans in america face discrimination because of miseducation, but i think we have it better than most countries, religious expression wise.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm
One thing about fluff bunnies.

From the general consensus I'm understanding that a fluff bunny is someone who interprets paganism and witchcraft as someone who doesn't understand the religious implications and cultural aspects of paganism.

The whole "I'm gonna do this because I saw it in a movie" version of witchcraft.

Now there are many different books on particular flavors of paganism. Some focus on the old ways, some the new ways. I liken them to different types of coffee. Some are very rich and complex, some are sweet and bring warmth while others dark and bitter.

I've read works from Laurie Cabot, Don Lewis High-Correll, Scott Cunningham and even "The Idiots Guide to Wicca," by Zimmermann & Gleason.

So how does one determine which is a good source of information to base your own practice off of?  

LordNeuf

imadelilith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:59 pm

pagans are just people. we worry about the same things as everyone else. i think as pagans simply because of the nature of our faith i think freedom of speech, expression, and religion are all very important. we also have a responsibility towards trying to protect our mother earth in any way that we can, and that includes becoming involved on a political level.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 pm
LordNeuf

So how does one determine which is a good source of information to base your own practice off of?

their own feelings... i suppose. if you feel comfortable with something, or it hits that vibrational chord, then you generally feel it and know as an individual. i know tea feels very strongly you should avoid people and hit the books wink . i disagree. i think it all boils down to your own experiential opinions, lol.  

imadelilith

error-dot-tar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 pm
LordNeuf
One thing about fluff bunnies.

From the general consensus I'm understanding that a fluff bunny is someone who interprets paganism and witchcraft as someone who doesn't understand the religious implications and cultural aspects of paganism.

The whole "I'm gonna do this because I saw it in a movie" version of witchcraft.

Now there are many different books on particular flavors of paganism. Some focus on the old ways, some the new ways. I liken them to different types of coffee. Some are very rich and complex, some are sweet and bring warmth while others dark and bitter.

I've read works from Laurie Cabot, Don Lewis High-Correll, Scott Cunningham and even "The Idiots Guide to Wicca," by Zimmermann & Gleason.

Cross referencing. The way I see it is that you should take the same approach with religious study as you would with, say, a research paper. Multiple sources, cross referencing the claims, and going back to the source. The source is an important factor here, especially with religion, because often the connections between the source and your current references are muddled and blurred - sometimes on purpose. We see this a lot with neo-pagan books in the New Age section of bookstores.

Another important factor is to not just focus on religious books - turn to history, art, literature and folklore as well. Often these can give you context, or facts that were altered or left out, that the original books do not.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:44 pm
LordNeuf

Not quite. That's why I was very careful to explain the difference between being misinformed and willfully clinging to misinformation.

"I'm gonna do this because I saw it in a movie" is misinformed. Let's pick on The Craft. Watching the movie and claiming to follow Manon as a member of the Wica is an error. After the explanation of what Wica is and who they worship and being shown texts by Gardner and the like, still maintaining that Manon is the god of the Wica is Fluffy.

Quote:
That depends on what you mean by "base". There are valid elements of practices even in books of lesser quality. However, when we start talking about facts- about the history and nature of a given tradition, we need to be able to support those claims objectively.

Cross referencing, checking bibliographies, looking to source texts, verifying the archaeological and anthropological evidence and using sound logic will eliminate a number of issues.

imadelilith
their own feelings... i suppose.
I find this level of subjectivity to be what perpetuates the Fluffy Bunny Syndrome. If I feel in my heart that in the vault beneath Paris that the Captain of this guild sacrifices baby sea sponges, my feelings will not trump objective reality.

Quote:
i know tea feels very strongly you should avoid people and hit the books wink . i disagree. i think it all boils down to your own experiential opinions, lol.
Would you be kind enough not to misrepresent me? I am clearly stating that I believe people should be well researched with quality sources rather than seeking out a flesh and blood person before you know what you are getting into.  

TeaDidikai

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm
- I consider a fluff bunny a person who has been directed to the wrong(incorrect or invalid) information about any sort of pagan religion, and when confronted about the issue, they cling to their "facts" and consider themselves persecuted.

What do you see as the place for Pagans in American Society?
- The place of Pagans in American Society should be intermixed with the Big Five religions. I think that it offers world views that are beneficial to many people in search of spiritual enlightenment.

- I am not a practicing Pagan at this current time. I do, however, find the belief systems and world views similar to my own, and have taken the matter upon myself to learn more and see if this is the belief pathway I should take. That being said, I come from the Bible Belt of America, where many people still see Pagans as worshipers of the Devil and the users of evil magic to hurt others. Needless to say, I am hesitant to announce my spiritual beliefs in fear of personal welfare.

- Misinformation and ignorance.

-As they would as normal people. Christians from around my hometown don't have to wear a cross necklace the size of a hubcap to show that they are Christian.... they simply are by behavior.

-Environmental and understanding issues.

- No, I do not belong to a group, nor do I really consider myself a soloist... merely a seeker.

And finally....

-By the invitation of TeaDidikai. I posted in a thread concerning the Christian religion and why I considered myself not a part of it anymore, and we had a nice discussion. After a brief chat, she invited here for further searching for my spiritual beliefs.

EDIT: I forgot to post my age. I am 19.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:01 pm
last time i checked, all religion... all reality, is what you believe it to be. all things are one thing, vibration. energy. the speed at which all things vibrate is not what makes it what it is. it is how we percieve these things. you cannot tell someone else what their reality is, because reality is our brain's interpretation of sensations and information. it is all chemical relativity. when you feel something strongly enough, it is your reality. objective reality is this. what is observed. not necessarily what is. funny you say feeling wouldn't trump objective reality.

and last time i checked, you needed to seek out flesh and blood to be a trad initiate... is your mistrust from personal experience with the wrong type, or are you warning against people like you?

i think you need a smaller tampon and a little less st. john's wart with your morning *tea*.  

imadelilith

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 pm
LordNeuf
So if you wish to give a statement for me to use in my article, include just your age for me. If you want you can add other information like how long you have been practicing and what particular pagan you are. (IE : Wicca, Eclectic Pagan, Nordic Traditionalist, Celtic Traditionalist, etc etc.)

I'm a 20 year old Norse Recon. I dont know if I'd take the term Traditionalist, but I think that most of my views are fairly traditional. It's hard to say though. I dont actively practice, so its hard for me to say for sure (more on that later).

LordNeuf

Like many people have said, I consider a fluff bunny to be someone who clings to false ideas after being shown reasonable evidence, or even proof against it.

LordNeuf

With a certain point of view yes, with another, no. One virtue I believe in is hospitality, and I was actually praised on one mailing list for not practicing my religion while I'm still under my parents roof (the rest of my family is Lutheran). So I am inhibited in my ability to practice at home, but at the same time, I shouldn't be practicing (if that makes any sense at all sweatdrop )

That being said, I wore a Thor's Hammer as a public expression of my faith when I still lived at Illinois State University (I have since been kicked out, and moved back in with my parents). I never had any problem with wearing it, and actually found out that one of my teacher's assistants was Asatru as well.

LordNeuf

Misinformation, ignorance, and the general Appeal to Popularity that seems to be common (50,000 people think X, so why should I listen to view Y?).

LordNeuf

I have no problem with someone being vocal about their beliefs (ask my friends during my fluffy phase. I was VERY vocal redface ). But the line needs to be drawn when it becomes overly disruptive to the lives of others. Ideally, they should express themselves through their actions and their deeds. I have no problem with religious jewelry however (but the Cross/Pentacle the size of a hubcap thing is excessive).

LordNeuf

Aside from a very few (if any) differences, the same political issues that are important to anyone. I may be Pagan (or Heathen, I dont have a prefrence on the term), but it doesnt influence my political views.

LordNeuf

As I said above, I dont practice currently. However, I plan on joining a group when I'm no longer living at home.

LordNeuf

Honestly, I dont remember exactly. I think it might have been around the time I was starting to notice the fluff I was getting into, and I wanted out of it.

LordNeuf
Also if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

Any chance of seeing the article once its written? I'm curious to see what you've written.

EDITED: Rewrote something for clarity  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces