Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
An Introduction to Goth music and subculture Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Princess Sugar Tits

Delicious Sweetheart

14,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm
Tell me something I didn't already know *dark sarcasm*  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:11 pm
There is one 1 form of music that is truly goth, it is called Industrial Goth, and nobody can argue or change this, for it is fact, and not opinion, Unfortunately, hardly anybody in america even knows this music exists, so in short, most Goths in america are posers, Industrial Goth comes from germany, it is the real goth music, without question. People who listen to manson, slipknot, and that type of s**t, are part of a genre called "Glamrock." this is nowhere near true gothic music, and never will be, the fact that this is even percieved as such, is truly an atrocity.  

Rekka Argonis

chick_with_a_chainsaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:09 pm
im the first to admit that im not goth i would say that for any type of sub culture i am none (as far as i know im bloody hopeless) i listen to bands like slipknot metallica and mudvayne. i do not class myself as anything because nowadays there are to many sub groups. but i do find it interesting reading about gothic music thanks for the info  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:54 am
Yukarashi
Tell me something I didn't already know *dark sarcasm*
*glares* you obviously didn't read the part where I say this is for people who are new, you know, just getting into this. If you already know stuff why on earth did you read it and then complain about it if it isn't for people who know it inside out (that is if you do)  

Isobel Bellamy

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 am
Hyuuga_Argonis
There is one 1 form of music that is truly goth, it is called Industrial Goth, and nobody can argue or change this, for it is fact, and not opinion, Unfortunately, hardly anybody in america even knows this music exists, so in short, most Goths in america are posers, Industrial Goth comes from germany, it is the real goth music, without question. People who listen to manson, slipknot, and that type of s**t, are part of a genre called "Glamrock." this is nowhere near true gothic music, and never will be, the fact that this is even percieved as such, is truly an atrocity.
What you stated there is an opinion not fact, just because you feel strongly about something doesn't mean that it is a universal truth, Hitler thought that the people he massacred were the cause of all his problems but it didn't change the fact that it was because he was a psychopathic paranoid magolomaniac. And for 'true Goth' music check out the origianals eg, The Cure, Bauhaus, Soiuxsie Souix and the Banshees, 'Industrial Goth' is too loud for it to be 'pure/true Goth'.

And I could not agree more with the whole Slipknot, Manson etc rant, the ammount of times I see people talking about how 'Goth' the music is it's just painful on the eyes.......  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:17 am
chick_with_a_chainsaw
im the first to admit that im not goth i would say that for any type of sub culture i am none (as far as i know im bloody hopeless) i listen to bands like slipknot metallica and mudvayne. i do not class myself as anything because nowadays there are to many sub groups. but i do find it interesting reading about gothic music thanks for the info
You're welcome ^_^ it's good to know some people appretiate the time it took even though it's not finished ^_^;
An interesting fact here; as a sub culture the 'Goth' one does not exist in all logical terms. To be even considered to be a 'Goth' the person has to listen to the music and look the part, most people only fit the second category in my experience BUT to be considered 'truely Goth' the person must also answer no when asked if they are 'Goth' strangely, it comes with the non-acceptance of any labels. As a humongous genraliasation (which rarely ever can be applied properly) the majority of people on this guild are not 'Goth' by any streach of the meaning, but this guild is not purely for 'Goths' (not that anyone would be by admitting it...) and the people on here are great so no worries 3nodding  

Isobel Bellamy

Rekka Argonis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:29 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Hyuuga_Argonis
What you stated there is an opinion not fact, just because you feel strongly about something doesn't mean that it is a universal truth, Hitler thought that the people he massacred were the cause of all his problems but it didn't change the fact that it was because he was a psychopathic paranoid magolomaniac. And for 'true Goth' music check out the origianals eg, The Cure, Bauhaus, Soiuxsie Souix and the Banshees, 'Industrial Goth' is too loud for it to be 'pure/true Goth'.

And I could not agree more with the whole Slipknot, Manson etc rant, the ammount of times I see people talking about how 'Goth' the music is it's just painful on the eyes.......

The bands you listed are to soft, they may be gothic, but for the more hardcore music listener, Industrial Goth is the true hardcore goth music.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:39 pm
Hyuuga_Argonis
The bands you listed are to soft, they may be gothic, but for the more hardcore music listener, Industrial Goth is the true hardcore goth music.
No, 'Goth' music is soft, hardcore/industirial/whatever 'Goth' is by all means, a completely different genre, it is a hybrid genre which is a product of both but like niether and cannot ever be compared or paired together as musically alike completely, no matter how much someone wants it to be. From Punk, 'metal-punk' was spawned, now, neither the metal or punk followers will allow 'metal-punk'- to be classed into their genre of choice, it is different, as soon as you add that hyphen or double barrel, it becomes a new genre entirely, by calling it 'industrial-goth' you are prohibiting it from being considered entirely 'goth', so I'm never going to accept that this 'industrial-goth' is 'true-goth' for something to be 'true' it usually has to be first, see Bauhaus for that.

edit: it's late here.....
yeah sure for hard-core listeners it's good, but it still isn't 'Goth'  

Isobel Bellamy

Rekka Argonis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:00 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Hyuuga_Argonis
No, 'Goth' music is soft, hardcore/industirial/whatever 'Goth' is by all means, a completely different genre, it is a hybrid genre which is a product of both but like niether and cannot ever be compared or paired together as musically alike completely, no matter how much someone wants it to be. From Punk, 'metal-punk' was spawned, now, neither the metal or punk followers will allow 'metal-punk'- to be classed into their genre of choice, it is different, as soon as you add that hyphen or double barrel, it becomes a new genre entirely, by calling it 'industrial-goth' you are prohibiting it from being considered entirely 'goth', so I'm never going to accept that this 'industrial-goth' is 'true-goth' for something to be 'true' it usually has to be first, see Bauhaus for that.

edit: it's late here.....
yeah sure for hard-core listeners it's good, but it still isn't 'Goth'

I know "Original Goth" music is soft, soft music is slow and boring, something a weak person would listen to, which is why i consider it more emo than anything else.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:14 pm
My taste in music varies. I love slipknot and I know it isn't goth. I also love goth music such as Siouxie and the banshees, Switchblade Symphony, The cure and a few other bands.  

Dearest Darling`

Tenebrion Valefor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:16 pm
Lacuna coil and rammstein are my fav artists. Whether theyre gothic or not i dont know, i never really did any research on either of them. *Feels stupid* maybe i should.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:20 pm
Koneko_DarkLight
Lacuna coil and rammstein are my fav artists. Whether theyre gothic or not i dont know, i never really did any research on either of them. *Feels stupid* maybe i should.
They aren't but that doesn't mean you aren't goth or you have to start hating them  

Dearest Darling`

Tenebrion Valefor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:28 pm
heh, i know that i dont have to stop liking them, that would just be stupid. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:16 pm
what would disturbed be?
just wondering  

Dull_Spike

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 am
Hyuuga_Argonis
I know "Original Goth" music is soft, soft music is slow and boring, something a weak person would listen to, which is why i consider it more emo than anything else.
Liten bucko, just because you don't like original 'Goth' music doesn't mean that you can talk like that, if you don't like something live with it don't go bitching on a thread that is meant to teach people the basics of it. And Emo it definately it is not, emo is whiney teenagers bitching about how bad their life is, 'Goth' is very life affirming and even though to some people it seems dark and miserable it isn't, which is what the 'Goth' subculture is about, 'real Goths' don't give a s**t about labels and stereotypes and THEY AREN'T MISERABLE WHINERS see emo for that. Just because something is slow doesn't mean it's for weak people, weak people are the ones that can't accept anything different from what they like and spend their time harrasing others to change so their lives aren't filled with people who are *shock horror disater!* different from them.

Why the ******** did you join this guild if you blatantly don't like the foundation of the 'Goth' subculture - its music.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff