Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Guide: Foundation ink shading in 3 simple steps Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:34 pm
Now... ebay is stupid for that kind of matter if you ask me, order some on the GW online store instead, there's a whole pack with all (9 I think?) inks that's usable from the GW foundation paint range.

But I find it strange if your hobby store don't sell the latest (well, they've been out for some time) GW stuff, it's really strange if you ask me. o 3o;;;  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm
I know nothings been posted here for a while, but since its about the inks....

what exactly does 'washing' the models in ink mean??  

Teufelhunde

Dangerous Lunatic

6,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 am
You do as it says, you apply the ink by washing it onto the model with a brush letting the ink cover the areas you want the effect on.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:18 pm
But how do you wash the model with ink?

Maybe I'm being too literal here, but I honestly have no prior experience with painting miniatures,or even putting them together....hell, I didnt even understand the concept of 'dry-brushing' until I was looking through some of the threads to look at others' modles...  

Teufelhunde

Dangerous Lunatic

6,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:25 am
I assume you don't know what painting ink is?

It's a watery paint so to say that's used to shade models or give effects like glazes.

By washing you just dip the pencil in the paint pot with the ink, and then apply it on the areas where you want the chosen effect.

There's plenty of colours for inks too, brown, black, green, blue, purple, red etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:49 pm
Ah, I see, I see.

So then, I'm going to assume that if I see 'wash the model in X color', then they're talking about inks?Or can you do the same with regular paints?(the pencil thing I mean)  

Teufelhunde

Dangerous Lunatic

6,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 pm
Teufelhunde
Ah, I see, I see.

So then, I'm going to assume that if I see 'wash the model in X color', then they're talking about inks?Or can you do the same with regular paints?(the pencil thing I mean)
A wash is always done with an ink.

The GW variant is called inks and washes, I think other brands only call them washes.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 pm
I see.....

Well, thank you very much shinobi, for teaching me a lesson on how to become a better painter for my models.They probably owe a lot to you,hehe..

Oh, and before I forget(even though this isnt related to inks...and since I'm here and you've been kind enough to help me so far), how do you paint your models?Do you paint them and then put them together?Or put them together then paint them?For some reason the latter seams kind of....daunting, if that could be used for this particular moment in time?  

Teufelhunde

Dangerous Lunatic

6,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 am
That have to do with taste IMO.

Some people want to cover ALL areas on a model, even non-visible areas, whilst others paint what can be seen (and reached).

To me it depends on the model, I mostly assemble models before painting, but when painting REALLY special miniatures (painting competitions, awesome models etc) I paint each part sepparately, which can be seen in my ork thread in this forum when I painted my Badrukk model.

But as a start I'd suggest you glue them together before painting, and get into painting things before assembling them in the future when you're experienced with modelling and painting.

I started painting my special models and contest models un-assembled just last year, and I've been into the hobby for about... 8-9 years I think?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm
Ah, well, alright then.Thank you very much shinobi, for sharing your knowledge of this with me in my infinite noob-li-ness (or somethin like that).However, I have just one more question, if you'd be so kind as to answer this one as well....

do you recommend using the GW paints?Or will any paints do?I would liek to start painting, and my plan is to give my models a black basecoat before I add in the colors i want for my Guards' uniforms, so i was planning on using a can of spray paint.

Will it affect how my models look if I don't use the Citadel (or whatever the brand is, although I think i got that right) paints?Cuz I've seen a huge box of them (the paints) down at my local Hobbytown USA, but I dont have the cash (or desire really...) to pay 50 bucks for the paints I could just get elsewhere.  

Teufelhunde

Dangerous Lunatic

6,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:50 am
I use GW paints (the foundation paints, foundation inks and normal GW paints) and P3 colours made by Privateer Press or whatever they're called, they're the company behind Hordes and Warmachine.

When I prime my models I always buy the black GW spraypaint (haven't tried white yet but will in due time), when you spray the models you should follow the guidelines or you might end up getting way too much spray on your minis. Just make sure the spraypaint is designed for miniatures, just any spraypaint won't do, some others might work, but I can't think of any at the moment.

The paint you talk about, is it paint designed for models? If it is I don't see any objections against using them.

BUT! For the best answer you should also ask the people at your local hobby store.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm
got it, thanks for the help shinobi  

Teufelhunde

Dangerous Lunatic

6,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 am
You're most welcome.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:28 am
Just going to inform that I might make another tutorial, but this time it will be skeletons from warhammer fantasy and I'm going to make another approach this time, but it's still going to be devlan mud, just to show some other neat (and superbly awesome) effects you can make on either whole models or just a small part of it.  

Shinobi_8745

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:38 am
Do want, we could do with more handy guides around here.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff