Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Being an older goth Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you consider yourself or do others consider you 'too old' to be a goth?
  Yes
  No
  I'm not sure
View Results

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:23 pm
Teriyaki Tsubaki
Twenty six is nothing!! Too old would be like after you have kids in middle school. When you have to drive them to soccer practice and stuff.

No way. We need more goth MILFs talk2hand
Look at Dinah Cancer. She's pushing 50, she's got a couple kids in their late teens, she's still just as "goth" as she was 25 years ago, and she's still smoking hot.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Dinah Cancer is hot still, definitely, and Siouxsie is of a similar 50+ age and still looking great.

As I've said before, goth icons, for the most part, have held up pretty well. Not a large number of deaths, as compared to other rock genres. And a lot of the people still look the same, or, at least, they don't look bad. Peter Murphy is still handsome, Robert Smith still looks like Robert Smith, Nik Fiend is still a weird little beetle man, and so on.  

GilAskan
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:28 pm
Shame that Ian and Rozz never got to age.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:06 am
I believe that the way to express your self is to dress the way you want. and i think that when people say your too old to be goth what i think is that they are to chicken to express themselves and to do what you have the guts to do. if you want to die your hair again then do it. stand out of the crowd and do whats best for you and do the things you want. if people say something its only an opinion, their opinion, and not yours. also look at the Osbourne's Ozzy his wife and kids (well at least two of them) they're older and they dress goth right? well i hope this is good advice hope every thing works out for you  

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 am
Teriyaki Tsubaki
Twenty six is nothing!! Too old would be like after you have kids in middle school. When you have to drive them to soccer practice and stuff.
A nice, gothy soccer mom? That would be so kick a**. *pulls up in a black minivan with the license plate MOMMABAT*
Or a hearse. You could fit the whole team in a hearse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 am
I'm 31. I know I'm not too old, but I get looks from some people a lot...my mother thinks I need to "wear more colors" EWWW

Luckily my roommates are cool with it. They don't care when I wear my spiked collar out, they don't mind my cuffs, they like my boots.

Matter of fact, my one friend (a wannabegoth) wants to steal my boots, but luckily they are too big for her twisted

NokomisSnape

trampyre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 pm
GilAskan
Dinah Cancer is hot still, definitely, and Siouxsie is of a similar 50+ age and still looking great.

As I've said before, goth icons, for the most part, have held up pretty well. Not a large number of deaths, as compared to other rock genres. And a lot of the people still look the same, or, at least, they don't look bad. Peter Murphy is still handsome, Robert Smith still looks like Robert Smith, Nik Fiend is still a weird little beetle man, and so on.

Dinah Cancer ROCKS!

Fashion wise, I guess for anyone the important thing is to know when & where to tone it down and be "classy." I love some things about the traditional deathrocker look, but I can't exactly go dying my hair funky colours anymore or shaving it into a death-hawk. Rules apply less to rock stars. : I can get away with quite a lot where I live and in my industry (I opt for a more funky-artsy-diy-indie-bohemian or victorian look most of the time), but for interviews or auditions I would have to look more corporate.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 pm
True that with age it changes a lot how freely you can dress. Work is the killer if one has to spend the day in a suit.

But even so there is always some goth details left. Even if I dress casualy, or so I thought, I get called goth by strangers.

I do miss not being able to wear platforms or heels, Im not clumsy with them yet for precaution with my baby, who I carry with me everywhere most of the time. Also with a child is harder to go the usual night places or concerts, most of the time we spend it home.  

AmberGriffon

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:33 am
AmberGriffon
I do miss not being able to wear platforms or heels, Im not clumsy with them yet for precaution with my baby, who I carry with me everywhere most of the time. Also with a child is harder to go the usual night places or concerts, most of the time we spend it home.
That's something I wouldn't have thought of.
Still, I can't imagine any office having a problem with someone of either gender arriving at work in a nice black suit, perhaps with a tie that would normally be considered Halloween themed. Now I kinda want an office job, so I can come in every day with a top hat.
But I can't actually dress that way in my current job, not because my employer would object, it just isn't very practical to wear a suit coat while serving coffee.
Actually, once I had to take someone their coffee, and someone thought what I was wearing was the uniform. It was just a white button up shirt and black tie, (I might have worn my waistcoat, too, but I don't really remember) so don't really get it; but they turned to their friend and said, "The waiters have such cute uniforms here!" But, because I didn't want to get fired, I didn't tell her that it wasn't a uniform, and I wasn't a waiter.
I kinda want to wear arm bands into work now.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:41 pm
I'm 22 and already dealing with the close-minded expectations of overall society. I've had to limit my goth days to weekends since holding a job is pretty rough when people suspect you might be summoning Satan behind your desk... Idiots. My mom also isn't too fond of my look. Apparently to her looking like a vampire is a bad thing. I tend to just work around it and be sure to make time for me to be myself. It works and I don't get flak for it. Still I hope my kids will be goth just so I can be a cool supportive mom... Not that my mom isn't supportive: Just a bit closed off the darker subcultures.  

SunnyLore

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces