Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A bit confused regarding deities that I feel strongly toward Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CricketBrain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Many Asatru acknowledge and worship gods outside of their tradition.

I did not know that.
The Asatruar that I know well don't,
but I know some folks what call themselves
heathen who are more inclined that way.

CuAnnan
*grumble grumble* This approach takes effort.

And I thank you for it.
This is the sort of challenge I need to help me figure this out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 pm
CricketBrain
And I thank you for it.
This is the sort of challenge I need to help me figure this out.

Kudos.
The recognition of the validity of the challenges is a big step to proving yourself.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:54 pm
CricketBrain

I did not know that.
but I know some folks what call themselves
heathen who are more inclined that way.

I know Asatru who often spill for Loa. I know Asatru who spill for Hellenic deities- and the Asatru I know welcome me amongst their blots, encouraging me to spill for my gods.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:57 am
My kindred is more exclusive, but just for our house blots. I'm Asatru, for what it's worth. I don't currently worship any gods but the Norse, but I've had dealings and I try to remain on good terms. Acknowledging gods other than the Aesir and Vanir is all but built in, at least in modern times. It makes sense. Of course, my definition of good terms often involves alcohol....

My tree likes red wine. ^^

*ftps Wing and Tea cookies*  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

CricketBrain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:24 am
CricketBrain
TeaDidikai
Many Asatru acknowledge and worship gods outside of their tradition.

I did not know that.

To clarify, they acknowledge others but don't worship them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 am
Deoridhe
~sniffs- chocolate chip? Or pink frosted sugar cookies~

Cricket, I'm the same way. Though, I have been known to gift other gods- it isn't within the context of worship. A good example is what it take to make Deo's Old Man.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:53 am
I'm hapy to honour the gods of others to some extent when I am with them. Out of respect for both them and the deity in question.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:10 pm
CuAnnan
Nuri
I like this approach, Wing. Keep it up!

*grumble grumble* This approach takes effort.
I appreciate it. I learn stuff! whee If only from the sidelines.  

TheDisreputableDog

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

~sniffs- chocolate chip? Or pink frosted sugar cookies~

Cricket, I'm the same way. Though, I have been known to gift other gods- it isn't within the context of worship. A good example is what it take to make Deo's Old Man.

Both, plus sugar cookies with chocolate kisses and hugs in them.

I have to admit, re: worshiping from multiple pantheons, I tend to prefer when there is consistency; that is, the style of worship and all of the deities being invited in or honored in whatever manner are consistent.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 pm
CuAnnan
Your sources:
What are they?
How credible are they?
What scholastic research have you done?

This is the article that I got the most out of so far,
it seems pretty non-fluffy to me:
http://www.druidry.org/obod/deities/morrigan.html
( I recognize that there are no longer druids,
and claiming to be one is highly suspect,
but that claim doesn't necessarily make them wrong about lore )

I'm aware that I have more reading to do.

A friend of mine recommended - for the lore -
Faery Wicca - Book 1 by Kisma K. Stepanich
He was emphatic about noting that book 2 is totally useless.

I googled Fethercerne and of the four returns
the only one that was at all useful pointed to this forum.
Where can I read it, the story?

Steve McNallen likens the Morrigan to the Valkyrie
in his "Celts and Germans" essay.
My friend says, no, more like the Norns.
I think she encompasses both aspects, and more.  

CricketBrain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:56 pm
Deoridhe

Both, plus sugar cookies with chocolate kisses and hugs in them.
Pst... Cu, she's trying to offer us the Western Rite cookie... be careful.
~munches on the chocolate chip~

Quote:
I have to admit, re: worshiping from multiple pantheons, I tend to prefer when there is consistency; that is, the style of worship and all of the deities being invited in or honored in whatever manner are consistent.
Could you expand upon this?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:18 am
CricketBrain
Steve McNallen likens the Morrigan to the Valkyrie
in his "Celts and Germans" essay.
My friend says, no, more like the Norns.
I think she encompasses both aspects, and more.

Um.... WHAT?

How is The Morrigan encompassing of the writers of wyrd and the gatherers of the slain? While the Celtic system of fate/future/etc... seems to have some things in common with wyrd, I wasn't aware of them having specific writers of it embodied. And I didn't think the Celts gathered Slain in Battle for Ragnarok (which makes sense since Ragnarok is Norse).

*completely baffled*  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Could you expand upon this?

Sure, my suspicious Northern Friend. *pets her poor, rejected cookies*

When doing a Blot, the Aesir, Vanir, ancestors, and landvaettir are invited as the opening salvo. I find it jarring when someone then calls in, individually, a deity from a different pantheon - especially if there are reasons why that deity might not appreciate what we are doing, why, or how.

Likewise, I wouldn't invoke Odin during an Egyptian ceremony.

I think some pantheons or deities may have points of compatibility - liking the same offerings, appreciating the same opening or tone - but that's a 501 class level thing, not a 101 level, and most of the people I see trying to do it are at the 101 or 201 level.

Even systems like the Norse/Germanic and Celtic, which have met again and again at their edges and have some similar rites (if the Wild Hunt can be called a rite...) don't mesh neatly.

I'm not sure I'm making any sense, but I need to sleep. Poke at the bits which don't work?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 am
Deoridhe
When doing a Blot, the Aesir, Vanir, ancestors, and landvaettir are invited as the opening salvo. I find it jarring when someone then calls in, individually, a deity from a different pantheon - especially if there are reasons why that deity might not appreciate what we are doing, why, or how.
At my first and only Sumbel as a very new and stupid pagan, I called Pele.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 am
Deoridhe
Sure, my suspicious Northern Friend. *pets her poor, rejected cookies*
I meant no offense my Sister in Mod. I just don't want your pink frosted spam cookies. ~nodnodnod~

Quote:

Likewise, I wouldn't invoke Odin during an Egyptian ceremony.

I think some pantheons or deities may have points of compatibility - liking the same offerings, appreciating the same opening or tone - but that's a 501 class level thing, not a 101 level, and most of the people I see trying to do it are at the 101 or 201 level.

Even systems like the Norse/Germanic and Celtic, which have met again and again at their edges and have some similar rites (if the Wild Hunt can be called a rite...) don't mesh neatly.

I'm not sure I'm making any sense, but I need to sleep. Poke at the bits which don't work?
It makes sense on one hand. On the other hand- culturally and historically, I'm not sure it is consistent. Heck- half the time Asatru can't seem to agree if Loki should be included in the Blot. Arguments from "He's being punished" to "You're making Odin an Oathbreaker" prattle on.

This may also be a function of me spending time with Fluffy Asatru. But really- we need only look to Beowulf to see cultural fusion, or perhaps the manuscripts that Eaters of the Dead was based upon.

While I think that respect and careful thought should be part of such a practice, I'm not sure I see evidence for the historical or reconstructed tradition to be exclusive. I also believe it would be important to consider the given Kindred present. No sense in disrupting another person's spiritual communion that is expressly permissible in their tradition for something that is not.

If I'm ignorant of any historical documentation that exemplifies the distance between other gods and the rites of the Asatru, I'd love to know. You know me... always looking for something to poke at. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff