Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
How long? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tyrannical Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:01 am
I wouldn't say I was a neo-pagan, but I do have parts of my belief system that correspond to many neo-pagan faiths. Most of these have been a part of my belief system for about (damn) 6.5 years now.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 am
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
CuAnnan
RedRoseSpiral
the Celtic Shaman and Society of Celtic Shamans

The who, now?

This mob:

http://www.faeryshaman.org/

Interesting site. Can't say their ethics list does much for me, but then I am a traditionalist and Germanic biggrin

Other stuff in it seems of value, even though some of the terminology makes me cringe...

Cheers

Ummm...Yeah... How the ******** are you supposed to interpret their "Code of Ethics"? God damn, that's practically impossible to follow.

Code of Ethics #13 Since you are DOOMED to fail this Code of Ethics, you may repent by donating to our PayPal Account HERE->

Also, for people calling themselves Celts, they sure are really fond of their "Faeries"...

And now we get to the heart of the matter:
Quote:
TUITION

ALL PROGRAMS ARE OFFERED ON-LINE ONLY.
THE SOCIETY OFFERS NO PROGRAM BY REGULAR MAIL.

Tuition is $180.00 for each year. Your tuition of $180.00 covers either Year One or Year Two of the Faery Shamans Apprenticeship Program. You must complete Year One of the program before you can enroll in Year Two. Tuitions may change from time to time and the Moderator will try to inform everyone already in programs well in advance of any change.

There are no payment plans offered. The Faery Shamans path is one of mystery and great beauty but it is not always an easy path to follow. If you do not have the tuition fees at the time you wish to enroll this may be because you are not yet ready to begin serious pathwork. When the time is right for you to begin you will find the tuition is not a problem.

If you're serious about this, you'll FIND $180 to pay us. xd  

Tyrannical Princess

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:26 pm
Hmmm....I would say I've been learning about Norse Paganism for going on 5-6 months now I think. Learning is a bit slow because I tend to get sidetracked by other things, but I'm working on it.

Also sort of pertaining to this topic, is there really a big difference between being Norse Pagan and Asatru? I've heard that they're the same thing, but I've heard that NPs aren't as "dedicated" as those who identify as Asatru sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:39 pm
Ultraviolett1127
Hmmm....I would say I've been learning about Norse Paganism for going on 5-6 months now I think. Learning is a bit slow because I tend to get sidetracked by other things, but I'm working on it.

Also sort of pertaining to this topic, is there really a big difference between being Norse Pagan and Asatru? I've heard that they're the same thing, but I've heard that NPs aren't as "dedicated" as those who identify as Asatru sweatdrop

In my humble and probably not hip on the lingo opinion, Asatru is a more specific reconstructive methodology-based religion, while Norse Paganism is more....how to put this...in line with a general "pagan" sentiment and methodologies.  

maenad nuri
Captain

CricketBrain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:07 pm
Ultraviolett1127

What do you mean by "dedicated?"

One difference I've noticed in my personal experience is,
Asatruar that I've met acknowledge but do not honor Loki,
not necessarily the case with other heathens I've met.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 pm
CricketBrain
Ultraviolett1127

What do you mean by "dedicated?"

One difference I've noticed in my personal experience is,
Asatruar that I've met acknowledge but do not honor Loki,
not necessarily the case with other heathens I've met.

I'm not sure what others have meant by saying "dedicated" either...I guess they have an air of taking things more seriously than someone who considers his/herself a Norse Pagan?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm
A fair number of Asatru I know do honor and at times even worship Loki.

That said- I treat Norse Pagan as an umbrella term for Asatru, Vanatru, Recons, Neo's and a host of other Norse Pagan ideologies.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:26 pm
Bacodus
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
CuAnnan
RedRoseSpiral
the Celtic Shaman and Society of Celtic Shamans

The who, now?

This mob:

http://www.faeryshaman.org/

Interesting site. Can't say their ethics list does much for me, but then I am a traditionalist and Germanic biggrin

Other stuff in it seems of value, even though some of the terminology makes me cringe...

Cheers

Ummm...Yeah... How the ******** are you supposed to interpret their "Code of Ethics"? God damn, that's practically impossible to follow.

Code of Ethics #13 Since you are DOOMED to fail this Code of Ethics, you may repent by donating to our PayPal Account HERE->

Also, for people calling themselves Celts, they sure are really fond of their "Faeries"...

And now we get to the heart of the matter:
Quote:
TUITION

ALL PROGRAMS ARE OFFERED ON-LINE ONLY.
THE SOCIETY OFFERS NO PROGRAM BY REGULAR MAIL.

Tuition is $180.00 for each year. Your tuition of $180.00 covers either Year One or Year Two of the Faery Shamans Apprenticeship Program. You must complete Year One of the program before you can enroll in Year Two. Tuitions may change from time to time and the Moderator will try to inform everyone already in programs well in advance of any change.

There are no payment plans offered. The Faery Shamans path is one of mystery and great beauty but it is not always an easy path to follow. If you do not have the tuition fees at the time you wish to enroll this may be because you are not yet ready to begin serious pathwork. When the time is right for you to begin you will find the tuition is not a problem.

If you're serious about this, you'll FIND $180 to pay us. xd

One other observation, in the vast majority of traditional cultural folkways, the only way to learn a traditional practice is to do so face to face.

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 pm
Ultraviolett1127

I think that to be honest, it's going to be one of those things that is dependent upon whom you ask.

In the vast majority of cases thought, Asatru tends to be used as an all-encompassing term for Germanic traditions, even though the word is a relatively modern invention (19th Century) and has only really become widely used in the 1970's, especially in the US and Nordic Countries.

Norse Pagan, in real terms, if one was going to use the correct definition of the words holds no great pejorative connotation, but could easily be used interchangeably with Asatru. That said, there is a strong feeling amongt many whom use various terms, that those whom are specifically Norse Pagan are synonymous with Fluff Bunnies.

I tend to use the terminology Germanic Folkway as I am a cultural traditionalist, and as such to define something that one is inherently, is a bit difficult. It also has the greatest broad spectrum term of reference in that it essentially encompasses all peoples derived from the Germanic tribes and their cultures.

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:45 pm
Ultraviolett1127
I'm not sure what others have meant by saying "dedicated" either...I guess they have an air of taking things more seriously than someone who considers his/herself a Norse Pagan?

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
That said, there is a strong feeling amongt many whom use various terms, that those whom are specifically Norse Pagan are synonymous with Fluff Bunnies.

Aha.  

CricketBrain

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:09 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

I think that to be honest, it's going to be one of those things that is dependent upon whom you ask.

In the vast majority of cases thought, Asatru tends to be used as an all-encompassing term for Germanic traditions, even though the word is a relatively modern invention (19th Century) and has only really become widely used in the 1970's, especially in the US and Nordic Countries.

Norse Pagan, in real terms, if one was going to use the correct definition of the words holds no great pejorative connotation, but could easily be used interchangeably with Asatru. That said, there is a strong feeling amongt many whom use various terms, that those whom are specifically Norse Pagan are synonymous with Fluff Bunnies.

I tend to use the terminology Germanic Folkway as I am a cultural traditionalist, and as such to define something that one is inherently, is a bit difficult. It also has the greatest broad spectrum term of reference in that it essentially encompasses all peoples derived from the Germanic tribes and their cultures.

Ver thu heil

Oh no! gonk I'm not fluffy (at least I don't think....). I'm just not comfortable calling myself Asatru yet because I don't have a firm grasp on the lore like you or Deo do. I feel like it would be misleading to call myself something when I don't have the important parts down-pat.

Guess "a learning Asatru" would be more accurate then xd

I had always thought it was an all-encompassing term like Tea said.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:40 pm
I don't think you're fluffy.
I have fluffy moments, but I try to watch out for them.
I think what really makes someone fluffy is intellectual laziness,
and a lack of care or patience in figuring out what one believes.
Identifying as Norse Pagan might raise an eyebrow in some circles,
but doesn't by itself make anyone fluffy.  

CricketBrain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:51 pm
~Shakes Fist~ Darn it Conway! Had to go and bastardize the Norse, the Celts and Wicca to make your pocket book thicker while others buy your trashy pocket novels! ~spits~

That said- Norse Magic does have one useful bit. The Fluffy Asatru I know use the list of gods and goddesses in their drinking games.

Name a god- drink! Fail, pass the horn and drop out.

Is it sad that I ended up with half a horn to myself? ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 am
Tea: Yes. blaugh

...I'm knowledgeable in Asatru lore? gonk Ulfrik makes me look like an infant. I'm much more along the mystic/freaky s**t/drinking a lot/writing poetry side of things.

That being said, I and my Kindred (Raven Kindred South) honor Wolf's Father, both as an integral part of toasting my old man (aka Mr. One Eye) and for his own benefit. Inter-kindred, we tend toward considering him Ve and Lodur as well as by his more common name, though that conclusion is on the UPGish side.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

SinginginSilence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:04 am
I couldn't say what path I follow. I won't burden any school of thought with my membership. I guess if we had to put a label it would be under Pagan, but I'm still researching, so it's all kind of irrelevant. One thing I've learned in my research is the religion, as a general term, is fabulous in theory, as a practice I find that it lacks substance. That's just my own cynical view, flame if you wish but no matter how much you flame, that really isn't going to change my POV.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff