Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
The Love Interest Character Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:35 am
Haha, I love strong love interest partners and none of these childish things when they give in easily either.

My men deserve a challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:55 pm
That's the fun of it though, isn't it? Relationships of any kind are boring if they get along perfectly. There's no conflict, which is extremely unrealistic.  

SugarRos
Captain

Matt the Muffin Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 pm
I set it aside for a little bit, but I was writing a story about a guy who's just recently finished high school, and during those years, everyone loved him.
Some in the romantic way, others as just friends.

And then he just decides he doesn't want to be liked anymore.
So, he goes around and finds girls to fall for him. He gets close to them, and right when they're at the peak of infatuation, he does something to make them want to spit in his face whenever they cross paths.
Very funny story.
I hope to finish it.
:3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 am
Wow, that's harsh haha.

I hope he finds someone in the end...?

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Rose of Pluto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:07 pm
That actually does sound incredibly interesting. 3nodding

In this one story that I'm working on, the MC is this completely lazy, unmotivated sort of person. He basically spends all of his time playing his guitar, or skateboarding, and doesn't really care too much about a lot of things.

His LI ends up being this girl who always has her head in a book, and is probably one of the smartest people that he's ever encountered.

At first, they're at complete odds, then they sort of become friends and by the time he realizes he likes her, she's going out with a different guy.

Yeah...lame...I know. But it's a romance sort of thing in a fantasy novel, so to completely explain everything, I'd end up ranting for a while. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 pm
Matt the Muffin Man
I set it aside for a little bit, but I was writing a story about a guy who's just recently finished high school, and during those years, everyone loved him.
Some in the romantic way, others as just friends.

And then he just decides he doesn't want to be liked anymore.
So, he goes around and finds girls to fall for him. He gets close to them, and right when they're at the peak of infatuation, he does something to make them want to spit in his face whenever they cross paths.
Very funny story.
I hope to finish it.
:3

That sounds awesome biggrin What a b*****d.  

Nefas Fatum

Del Amor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:46 pm
Rose of Pluto
At first, they're at complete odds, then they sort of become friends and by the time he realizes he likes her, she's going out with a different guy.

Part of me really likes that we-are-friends-no-wait-I-love-you-but-alas-now-you're-otherwise-involved plotline. I think the draw is that it seems so possible. Who hasn't had the thought when holding in feelings for someone that, if you wait, he/she'll be taken?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:55 pm
I have several love interests in my stories. They are very different from each other, to appeal to their respective lovers. One is flirty and a real ladies' man, another is the strong and silent type, rugged and manly, another is mysterious and can never be found where you left him...

I usually refrain from the we-hated-each-other-when-we-first-met-but-now-we-find-each-other-irresistable clichée, because I've never fallen for a guy that I initially hated - I just can't imagine myself being in love with or having the hots for a guy that I hate. So the farhtest I'll go in that direction in my stories is that a character may find the other a tad annoying or frustratingly distant or something.  

Veda of Walks End

4,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

WolfTeeth-x

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 pm
I don't really have a Love Interest Character. Unless I could count Vivian and Ben because they're boyfriend and girlfriend, or just Vivian because of the relationship her and her best friend will have later on. It's not one of those stories where this one guy or girl comes along looking for love. The love interests will revolve around my three main characters: Vivian, Ben, and Serena.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:42 am
My love interests are only there if I need them. And I like that most of my relationships are either dysfunctional, or so crazy that they somehow work.

Like most of my characters, they come based on need. I.e., I have one character who is the son of the antagonist. The mother was never mentioned until I realized she needed to be there. Then, and only then, did the mother come into play, and her relationship with the father, because how their relationship used to be (she is dead by this time) was vital to the current issues with the father and son.

A lot of my stories do deal with different degrees of love and acceptance. Sometimes, the "love interest" is not really a love interest at all, more like a best friend or a very trusted companion. It really just depends on what my plot calls for.  

Nightmare1

Hallowed Phantom

Hemlock Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:22 am
I've this horrible habit of creating perfectly straight male MC's and then they end up gay.

It's actually starting to annoy me. I mean, I write straight, gay, bi, whatever the character is, he/she is. Period. I rarely have sat down and said, "I'm going to write a gay character," I usually sit down to write the character and then their preference comes out.

Eh.

Anyway, love interests in my stories come in a few flavors.
1. Prior to the start of the story, they've been together for some time. Of course they have their problems, but that's okay.

2. They've known each prior to the start of the story but due to their own stupidity, have yet to get together.

3. Met within the first fifty pages or so.

4. Met in the few pages.

5. Met in the middle.

I tend to avoid secondary characters becoming a love interest, so most of them are MC's as well. If there is a secondary character love interest, they get a major role in something else later. Most of the time. I only tend to repeat myself when it comes to my guy/guy relationships.

Usually one is screwed up and the other is trying to help/fix them. Actually, that's a common theme for girl/guy relationships too. Freud would have something to say about that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:16 pm
I'm actually having trouble getting my main character and my LI to behave in a normal way while falling for each other. It is, however, only my first draft, so I'm hoping to fix this.

One thing I simply can not stand in romance novels is the fact that the two main characters meet in the very beginning - and by page ten are just totally in love. Ugh. Take some time to fall in love! Anything prior to that is lust!

Of course, I'm struggling with it now. sweatdrop  

SugarRos
Captain

Dominant Love Slave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 pm
I don't know if someone mentioned this kind of relationship already, but...

I love love love heart having a MC and a LI (usually I consider them the Co-MC) with two polarizing personalities that are drawn together by one or two similar core values and a strong sexual attraction. 4laugh It's cliche, I know, but I can't get enough of it!

Right now my MC's are two detectives. One is recently divorced and not really looking, the other a total flirt and playboy. The playboy likes to mess with the other detective and tease him and whatnot, but has a way of never revealing anything about himself or letting any of his various flings become serious relationships. This attitude is what draws the more serious detective into action, making him (in his clumsy, shy, adorable way <3) the more assertive one in a growing relationship that can't quite reach that tipping point and become something more... physical. X3 At least, not yet!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:17 pm
Mine are sort of all over. There are a few already established, there is one that is unrequited and almost becomes known except at the last moment one of the characters sees that the other is in love with someone else but doesn't see it yet, and regrettably he just sort of lets go. Another pair are very much bully and victim who find they have a lot more in common than they thought they did down the line. Yet another is playing around a bit with class issues, and it's also an interracial relationship. This one in particular I see as being the most stable of all because these two characters complement each other very well. Where one is very bitter because of past events, the other is basically optimistic and will eventually be able to heal a lot of that while also being able to just be around for the rest of it.

There's another one that's similar to that last one in that one character is very repressed emotionally due to a series of past events. This one though, will take up most of the story, as there are a lot of issues for these two to peel back and deal with. And they're dealing with this during some very chaotic periods of time for the world this all takes place in. The major difference between the repressed character here and the one above is age; the one above has dealt with things, perhaps not better, but for a long time which has tempered some obstacles towards relating to others. The younger character hasn't had that time, has never really, and sort of is just stumbling one way and then the other. He's sort of, at the same time attracted to this other character (eventually), also sort of really relying on him for a sense of balance.

Every single one of these pairings are friends before they become lovers. It's also a sort of thing that just happens (except I manipulated it that way) - they get put together because of events out of their control and they have to learn how to deal with it. Some of them do not get along whatsoever (in particular, one from the bully/victim and one from this last one kind of sort of hate each other) so while I'm also moving the relationships forward, these characters are also figuring out their relationships with each other as a whole. It's not necessarily a romantic relationship but I do think the interconnected interactions of all of the characters also help develop the ones that are romantic. And I'm one of the people who think that a friendship can be just as close as a romantic relationship, if not more so. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Oh, and I do try and write a whole span of characters - gender, sex, race, belief system. Well, still sort of working on the last two but yeah. Always room for improvement eh?  

Supinelu

Versatile Genius

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:00 am
My love interests have become more confusing. Now I tend to delve into two genres (one arguable as a genre).

In more mainstream literary pieces romance is sparse and unsatisfactory, which I've come to like writing. Arguably a more feminist attitude... sweatdrop

In my genre pieces...well I've been trying to conform to a publisher's guidelines. (As I write gay fiction, it tends to have a limited British market) They wanted a threesome but I soon found twenty pages in that two of the males just don't go together. So...I will have to wait and see what happens but all I see is a triangle at the moment.

Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff